“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #8 of 26 Jurmala B&B and Inns
yorkshire
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was the only affordable hotel available to us at the time of booking because there was a music festival on. The location was good, near the beach, handy for the station and quiet. There were some good restaurants nearby. The hotel was clean and fairly comfortable and the staff were friendly and kind, although their understanding of English was a bit hit and miss! Our bed was made only every other day, and when I asked about this, I was told this was normal in Latvia (in a swanky resort like Jurmala, and for the price we paid, I think not!) The so called jacuzzi was just a massage option in the shower and when we used it, it flooded the bathroom. At breakfast, they ran out of sausages and honey, although both were offered as choices, but the meals we had were delicious and presented beautifully. My main complaint is that the hotel, without consulting me at all, charged the full price to the credit card I had used to make the booking the day before we checked out or earlier, I'm not sure when. I phoned Booking.com about this and was told it was the hotel's policy to take half the bill from the credit card, but not the full amount. We had intended to pay with other credit cards, as the card I'd used had gone over the limit. I ended up paying a penalty on my credit card because of this. I think the hotel should explain their policy on arrival. For the price we paid, we expected more luxury and better service.

Room Tip: The sauna and swimming pool were minute and at an extra charge.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Location of this hotel is great for the beach, but it is nowhere near main Jurmala street.

It is a small B&B, so privacy and peace and quit were not an issue. Receptionist was friendly and helpful. We liked that even at 11 pm (due to late landing), we were offered to use sauna. Sauna was clean and swimming pool was a good size for its purpose.

Room itself was very large. We stayed in Elvis room and bed was OK. What I did not particularly like were cheap bedding. But room was clean, bed comfortable and we had a good undisturbed sleep. There was also Jacuzzi in the bathroom, but we did not get to use it, so I cannot comment on that.

Breakfast consisted of two flat pancakes with sour cream, which were just about OK. But coffee was good, which saved whole breakfast experience for me.

We did not get to experience music evening, so I cannot comment on that.

Burning question - would I stay again? At the right price probably yes.

Room Tip: Go there in summer for the beach holiday or in winter for long walks.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple