“Nice Little Escape Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Jurmala Spa

Hotel Jurmala Spa
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Jurmala
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice Little Escape Place”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

As we have visited off season, it was very calm and quiet. However, there still are quite a few people visiting, so the place doesn't feel deserted.
It is mainly a SPA place - there are lots of procedures to choose from, but make sure you know this stuff before you book - some of them are really... not worth the price, let's put it nicely.
The location is superb, if it's Majori or Dzintari you are interested in. You walk out of the door straight to the main street Majori and the beach is hardly minutes away. Although, that's not much help if you visit in winter - the whole town in "sleeping" as most places open late spring and operate though the summer only.

Rooms are nice and modern, although the air-conditioning is unbearably loud. So at night you literally have to decide whether to stay warm (that's in winter; or cool - in summer) or to sleep...
The walk-in shower looked modern and contemporary, but the towels were a bit dirty, which was a big turn-off, I'm afraid...
Beware of a minibar in the room - prices are.. well, minibar usual ones, so better stock up before you come here, if you tend to get peckish at night. And it's a pity there are no tea/coffee making facilities - is it like not custom anywhere outside the UK?..

The staff is very attentive and accurate - that is very common in Latvia, though. Just be aware that not everyone speaks English so you might need to wait for the suitable person to serve you.

Now, there is a restaurant and a bar within the hotel. Restaurant is open till late and serves food till 10pm - which is impressive. As to the bar, I would not suggest going there out of the season time - you might be expecting to come to the glamorous place with the sea (as the name suggests) view and sip your drink in a loud and noisy environment, looking at young people like you having fun and socialising... but the reality (once again, that's in winter) is that you might be the only customer in there... So, if you're lucky enough to have come before the sunset - you might enjoy the picturesque view while having your drink. Otherwise, you'll desperately gulp your Pina Colada all alone and be gone in 5 minutes... (there's free WiFi to brighten up your mood, though).

Now, to the breakfast. Such a great variety!.. Literally, anyone would be able to choose something for themselves!.. Sure, coffee could use an improvement (tastes like the cheapest filter coffee they could find), but the food is really nice!.. Choose a table by the window and sip your coffee while watching pedestrians on Jomas street - life is good ;)

Room Tip: Obviously, the higher up you are - the better view you get.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Aalborg, Nordjylland, Denmark
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We have been staying in Hotel Jurmala Spa every Christmas for many years and we are absolutely love it. Nice, clean and large rooms, friendly and helpful staff, delicious breakfast and quiet location. We always enjoyed spa facilities, but here I would like to add that during holidays there are usually too many people in the Spa what makes stay a bit uncomfortable. In general we are very satisfy with this Hotel and hopefully will visit it for next Christmas!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Lets start with the arrival... I myself (and my companions) arrived to the four-star facility on the late afternoon of a Thursday. As it happened, our GPS device had guided us to a dead end street and we carried on by foot towards your hotel. I found myself in front of the main entrance on a street filled with cars, and I wondered, if its even necessary to try to drive and park to the same street at all (our car was parked about 100 meters away on Smilšu street). As I saw a porter at the door of the hotel, I decided to ask him for advice, whether the parking is free on nearby streets of Jurmala. His answer: „How should I know! Read the signs! They are the same everywhere!“ (Here, I should mention, it was not the knowledge of his language that made him rude and furious, as we were speaking Russian, in which both I and the porter under discussion, are apparently very fluent in). Of course, I can understand, that my question fired towards him was a very inconvenient one, as it was in need for attention and an answer, I still find, that a porter of a four-star hotel should be eager and polite enough to try to deliver at least some information and reassurence to the customers.

The reception... Actually everything was fine and up to the class in that part of the visit. The service was quick and painless, even though there were some messups with names and birthdates that probably our tour-operator is to blame for. Anyhow... there were no questions or comments on how did we reach the hotel or are we in a need for a parking space. Furthermore, I specificly asked in my letter to the hotel: „Is there a possibility to park at the hotel or is there not enough space?“. Answer to the question was: „Yes, we have a parking but we can’t guarantee the availability because we do not book the places in parking.“. No booking I understand, but is it too hard to check the parking issue at the reception to solve the possible misunderstandings with the police or other authorities... or just to make it known to the customers, where the parking of the hotel is situated? Or is it an elaborate scheme, set up in cooperation with authorities and hotel owners, to get more finances in the municipal budget through parking tickets, issued to unsuspecting tourists? Our parking went fine, as we were not eager to get anywhere near the hotel due to the „fun“ and „helpful“ porter as well as our improper understanding of the location, but the lack of interest from the receptionists still puzzles me... By the way, it is impossible to find any parking information on the website as well.

Rooms... are set up in a nice and minimalistic, I would even say Nordic, manner. The dominant brown and beige tones of the standard room have a sense of calm in it and the wonderful views on the trees and buildings of Jurmala from the windows add a certain romantic touch. As there were no double rooma available, the single beds were moved together as agreed in the previously mentioned e-mails. Another positive touch was the availability of the reasonably cold sparkling wine and a tasty selection of fruits in the room.

SPA of the hotel... I do not know if the staff has noticed it, but it seems a bit worn out in some places. Especially the seilings above the pool areas... there is mold growing on the ceilings! Or is it rust driping off of them? In any case it does not look too healthy for me and I am no health-freak as such to begin with. But actually, I wanted to point out the „exceptionally helpful“ service of the wonderful SPA receptionist girls...

As we set afoot to the SPA area of the hotel, we had a slight hunch, that the towels might be provided from there and remembering the reassuring words of the hotel receptionist at our arrival, we knew, that Wellness SPA should be free of charge for us... Imagine our surprise, when we were not let in the SPA at our first try due to the absence of the yellow key-card envelopes of the hotel! Where did this rule come from? The envelope itself states: „Keep your key-card with you at all times!“. Nobody cared for a key-card in the SPA, the envelope was the holy grail that those girls lured for! Not even the hotel reception upon our arrival mentioned anything having SPA and key-card envelope or holder in the same sentence or paragraph! The way the bunch of us were caught at the gates of the promised „Oasis“ as cunning thiefs of course meant strict remarks trying to call us in order in front of other customers of the SPA. Morale – is that also too hard of a task to give for the receptionist to remind upon the arrival, that not having your key card envelope with you might lead employees believe you to be an imposter trying to fake yourself in the SPA (in shorts with 5 degrees of windy Jurmala weather – a quite common way to hang out in warm Latvian Christmas time)?

Breakfast was quite standard and I would not comment on that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Eestland
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Absolutely lovely saunas & pools centre. We liked very much Steam Sauna (Roman Sauna), Finnish sauna (110 оC) with jadeite stones, Sanarium (Aromatic Sauna), Salty Sauna (our favorite!) and Finnish Sauna (80 оC).
Three pools with different water temperature and cascades, and bubble baths made our day! Three hours flew very fast.
I know, that we will return!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Good location, standart continental breakfast. Hotel were busy after Christmas but stuffmanaged well with breakfast service. Still fresh rooms. Oasis Spa center are good but very limited for kids- no kids swimming pool.
We will come back.

• Stayed December 2013
Worcs
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have stayed here loads of times when on business in Jurmala. It's a tired Soviet-style hotel which has been updated but is still showing its age. Rooms are basic, and although clean, have very little in the way of comfort. Breakfast is in the top floor restaurant, with amazing views on all sides over the bay, the forest and over towards Riga. The food is less spectacular. On a positive note I do recommend the walk across the road into the pine forests along the beach. Really nice clean sandy beach which is really popular in summer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Vilnius
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The room is nice and clean. Normal 4*.
Carpets in the corridors, so there is no noise, even there are quiete many people for late autumn break :)
We couldn't find a parking spot, because the parking lot was full. So, look arround. It is possible to find a place.
Wifi is free of charge and works well in the room on the 4th floor (I guess everywheere else too).
Breakfast realy good and rich: salmon, herring, omlets, sausages, salted cucumbers :), fruits - anything!
I liked the 5 saunas (steam, salt, +110 C, +80 C, + 60 aroma) and swiming pools (2), jacuzzis (2). I was afraid, that because of many people it would be crowded, but it was OK.
The next morning we came to this relax area at 9:30 a.m. Felt like queens: just few people :)
Guests from Lithuania, Estonia, Russia, local latvians.
So, I was realy glad with my two days at Jurmala Spa.
i would come back again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends