“A good Baltic Hotel”
Review of Opera Hotel & Spa

Opera Hotel & Spa
Ranked #27 of 111 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The hotel is about 30 minutes from the airport by taxi, there is a bus which I am told charges only 1.80 Euros which seems to be the standard for paying the driver anywhere in Riga.The bus station is only one department store block to the west of the main station (Centrala Stacjas ). You must use the subways to cross the roads.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and even my chambermaid spoke English.
My room was 225 and although It only looked onto the windows of a block of old flats there was no traffic noise and I enjoyed four nights of good sleep which I doubt could be said for rooms at the front of the hotel. Room and shower room were excellent.
T V was a bit strange as there seemed to be two Latvian channels and three Russian plus, of course, B B C world service. I couldn't find a weather channel but the Reception always knew what the day would bring.
The breakfast choice was huge albeit some were very Baltic/Russian i.e.pickled fish or cucumber for breakfast.
I ate at the Hotels Boulevard 33 restaurant and again despite some of the dishes being Baltic/Russian I always found something to eat. the food was well cooked and beautifully presented.
This is an hotel I have no reservation in recommending.

Room Tip: Try to get an "inside room"
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Roger J

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Make sure you get the romantic suite, and specify it in the bookings. Its a great room with a massive tub and very comfortable bed, heating/air-conditioning. Had an amazing time, staff are very friendly. The location is perfect, close to the town, and there are so many amazing places (Apsara tea house) very close by where you can go to with your significant other.

The Spa was also pretty good.. small, but it was clean and well maintained. Didn't try any of the extra treatments.

Breakfast could be better, but pretty satisfying nonetheless.

All in all a great stay, wish I was there longer.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify you want the "romantic suite" as there are other suites in the same...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A J
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Located in central Riga. Close to the old city and sights.
Rooms are modern and most facilities besides fitness.
The rooms are spacious, the only thing I missed was a coffee machine.
The breakfast is standard and is served in the hotel restaurant.
Spa section is great, with all possible treatments, but is overpriced.

Room Tip: During summer the rooms facing the street is absolutely terrible in terms of temperature. There is n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NO1981
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

With beautiful rooms and a professional staff, I recommend this hotel to everyone planing a trip to Riga. The price is not taken into rating because the stay was payed by my employ. A romantic trip with your better half, or just checking out Riga, this is the place to stay!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kimoestgard
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I did stay there for 3 nights. Hotel absolutely lovely, clean, staff friendly, food amazing. Walking distance to all must see places ( saving on taxi fares ) like old town, central market, monument of Freedom and shopping malls and central station ( for airport or traveling out of Riga..)...., the view from window absolutely amazing ...

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2014

It is tough. I actually really like this hotel, it is modern, clean, very well positioned and the staff friendly and helpful. The problem is for the three nights we stayed here we had horrendously bad sleep. That is the point of a hotel!

The reason for my difficulties was the heat of the hotel. It is just unbelievable. We strip off as soon as we enter our room. There is air con but the controls do nothing. Meanwhile there is underfloor heating in the bathroom almost constantly on. We were forced to have both bedroom windows open at all times or we would have melted. We still almost did. Being at the front of the hotel on a busy junction meant we were at the mercy of some horrendous traffic noises. Finally, they have lovely thick curtains. Normally thin curtains are a pain in hotels. The problem is we had to leave them open as they stop the air coming in from the windows.

So, in short. Ridiculous noisy, hot, light and pretty pathetic pillows combine to terrible sleep. I can't wait to get home and be able to sleep properly. Such a shame.

Now, you might ask did I complain. Well yes. On the first night I went down and was told the underfloor heating worked with the lights. Maybe it is meant to bit it heats up quickly and down slowly if it does. I was told that as it was a heatwave (20C) and the air vents hadn't been cleaned out since winter (!?) the air con was not as efficient.

The icing on the cake was being told to leave the hotel door open to allow a through breeze from the windows. At 23:00 heading to bed who on earth would sleep in a hotel with their door open!?Madness. The girl I was speaking to was absolutely lovely or else I would have been furious... and no, she wasn't joking!

A few other things. The spa is open from 8-10 for guests. Don't expect a pool you can swim in.
The bar is remarkable good value. I think they underplay this as there is not a price list anywhere and even although there are two bar staff and no one in the bar it is remarkably hard to get a drink.
You can walk to everywhere of note in minutes from the hotel and are right next to train and bus station if you are travelling on. A Baltic air €5 airport bus leaves from the hotel or the staff said they could book a taxi and it would cost €15.

This could be a really nice hotel. You just can't excuse or overlook the reason you are there. To sleep!

The coxy_gj unique hotel ranking system. In my view can tell a lot about the care and quality of a hotel by the care they take over cooking their eggs.

6/10 for Opera Hotel.

Two types of egg but the scrambled had obviously been burnt in parts in the pan whole having a 3 & 5 minute boiled egg choice is a nice touch if their is actually a difference. Both seemed pretty hard boiled to us.

Room Tip: Tough. I would ask if the air con is working. You get a fantastic view on the front but if you have...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great location, helpful staff, breakfast excellent, rooms very nice and a lovely spa. We had a front room and although this hotel is at a busy road junction, there is no road noise. Everything is on your doorstep - trains, buses, trams, shopping galleries, plenty of restaurants and the hop on hop off bus stop 1 is just across the street. The Old Town is a 5 minute walk through a pleasant park. The free use of the spa until 10am was very welcome and my husband and I had a steam and sauna every morning before breakfast. The breakfast choices were excellent and set us up for the day. We couldn't have picked a better hotel for our 4 day stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple