“Excellent service!”

Rixwell Gertrude Hotel
Ranked #31 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This hotel is in a quiet area, a fifteen minute walk from Old Riga. Excellent service in reception and a good sized, clean room. The free WiFi is a perfect way to use your i-gadgets to plan the Riga visit.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 May 2013

My fiancee and I stayed here for a long weekend in May. Good points - good central location to the city, nice range of foods available for breakfast. Bad points - beds in rooms were very hard, we both had a bad back after leaving. Staff on reception desk were very unhelpful and didnt really want to help when asked about local attractions etc. I asked one of the women on reception what the exchange rate was from sterling to lats and she looked at me like I was crazy and just shrugged her shoulders. There was however one man on reception on Monday 13th May who did give us some info. The thing that spoiled the stay for me the most was during check out. We went to settle our room service bill and were told ' you have a 90 lat penalty for your room also' (well over £100). We were shocked and asked what was it for, we were then told 'oh no wait a minute it is for 20 lats because you have ruined the towels!' When I questioned this the lady then said that we had ruined the towels in the room. Now I have a skin disorder which means I cannot go in the sun and I am naturally very pale. So this means that I wear fake tan occasionally and as we were on a weekend away I wanted to feel nice so I had had a spray tan before we left. Yes I did get a little fake tan on the white towels but I have had this happen whilst staying in hotels all over the world and it has NEVER been a problem. Fake tan is made to wash out, I wash it out at 30 degrees at home and I am guessing that for hygiene reasons the hotel has to wash their towels at temperatures much higher than this yet they stated that I had ruined them and they had to be thrown away! I also am not sure if they have fake tan in Latvia because the way the woman looked at us and made us feel like the fake tan was something of a similar colour that had been put on the towels if you get me!! We were made to feel like we had done something really bad when all I had done was dry myself and fake tan had come off on the towel. Had i not been tired and wanting to get from there when we left I would not have paid the 'fine' and kind of wish now in hindsight that I had told them what to do with their towels. All in all this experience left a bad taste in my mouth for not just the hotel but for Riga which is a shame.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kittycustard
Matiss_Cesnieks, Manager at Rixwell Gertrude Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear, Kittycustard

Thank you for choosing our hotel and share your opinion at Tripadvisor.
I am sad to hear that generally you were not satisfied with your stay with us and appreciate all the feedback we are recieving from our guests. We are happy that you enjoyd with your fiancee breakfast and hotel location, but on other hand please accept our apologies that you have ruined time here with us! I liked to explain that we always suggest guest , if they want more relaxing vacation to choose Deluxe Double or Suite type room. As well please appcept our apologies for caused inconveniences regarding the services, and we already fix these problems. Like to say that we forwarded this information to coresponding hotel departments and will rise our workers skills!

We understand that probably next time when you will both visit Riga consider to choose other hotels,but we will be more than happy to see you again!

Kindest Regards
Matiss Cesnieks
Assistant Marketing manager

Reviewed 2 May 2013

This hotel is at a 10-15 minute walk from the very central Old Riga and the central railway and bus station. The hotel has a good standard to it - clean, nice, feels like new.
We had a fairly large room with a large enough bathroom (with a bath!). Our room did not have any view but of the inner yard, but because of that it was very quiet. The carpeting on the floor in the hallways and in the rooms also contributed to the quietness.
Breakfasts were fine, with a good enough selection. There was sparkling in the morning for hotel guests (free of charge). However the staff could do a better job of looking after availability of plates, glasses, and cups.
The one problem we had was lack of hot water for the first two days. It was lukewarm, not hot, but after we gave notice to the reception, it was fixed quite quickly.
The whole hotel has wi-fi coverage which is nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelEst
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Good, clean hotel. Good service, staff was very friendly and helpful.. Breakfast was excellent. I recommend.Walk to the old town was not long. Little stores walking distance from the hotel. Lido restaurant was nearby. Rooms was cleaned every day.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. Room was recently renovated, as well the hotel itself, all looked and felt like new. Room had a large double bed which was very comfortable. There was mini-safe, big cupboard, writing desk, small table and a chair in the room. Bathroom is small, but with bath.
Room was in the courtyard side and very sunny. Although the central heating was not on, the room was very warm (although it was not warm outside). Room had a local air-conditioning unit.
Breakfast buffet has a large variety of food and with breakfast you can have Latvian produced sparkling wine.

Hotel is located in the smaller street not too far from the center. It takes around 25min to walk to the Old Riga and sightseens. There is also public transportation nearby, so hotel is easily accessed by trolley-buses as well.

Beside all good things written above, and beside the fact that the hotel was fresh, clean and cozy, it should not ear more than 3 stars for following reasons:

There was no hot water. The higher the floor then less change to have hot water. Sometimes the water was warm enough to take quick refreshing shower, but sometimes it was freezing. In that sense you can’t understand the point of having the bath-tube in bathroom, since no-body could take a bath filled with cold water. Bathroom tiled floor was not heated, so temperature in bathroom was pretty chilly. There was no bathroom utensil like shampoo, shower-gel, and body-lotion etc, just liquid soup with smell of flower.

The promised free interne came and left on a free will. The speed was sometimes low even to download e-mails with attachments, connection got lost in continuous basis.

Serving the breakfast was kind a chaotic. The tables were not cleaned and full of used tableware. You literally had to clean the table for yourself. And because tables were not cleaned, there was a lack of clean glasses, plates etc. Seemed like the personnel in breakfast table had no much clue how to deal with the job in a proper manner. Of course on weekends the people do not go to have breakfast at 7am, but at 10am (breakfast was served till 11am) and of course there will be many people there at the same time, but it seemed like a huge surprise for the personnel who simply didn’t know how to act.

Part of the hotel is still under renovation, and on weekend morning you could hear someone drilling the walls.

Paid for the hotel 40eur per night and for that money we were satisfied with the value. But if would have paid over 55eur, I guess in such case there would not be value for the money, at least at the moment.

Room Tip: To be sure to have hot/warm water in bathroom, better to have room in the most possible lower floors...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Raiq
OldRigaPalace, Manager at Rixwell Gertrude Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for leaving a loyal comment!

It is vital for us to receive your review and opinion about the hotel’s existing advantages and it’s minuses as well. We had some problems with hot water for some period due to renovation works. At present time the problems with hot water is resolved and temperature is on the right degree.

We took appropriate actions to avoid all inconveniences which may be caused for our guests.

We are committed to providing the best service and make our guest stay enjoyable. If you have any further queries please be free to contact me on email address manager.gertrude@wellton.com.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We were a party of four couples visiting Riga for three nights from Sunday to Tuesday. The hotel was booked on previous reviews and we were not disappointed indeed during our visit a small bar was just opening next to the reception which improved the facilities especially coming back after the cold evening walkabouts. The staff were friendlly and helpful while the rooms were a good size with a well stocked mini bar offering excellent value. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom a decent size with good showers. I really enjoyed the breakfast with a wide range of food and drinks including champagne if you wanted it. As a group we really enjoyed Riga, which also offered value for money, and would have no hesitation recommending both the hotel and the city. The river and canal was frozen solid which illustrates the temperatures in mid March and one of our party went up to the coast and could not believe the sea had frozen too!

Room Tip: Higher you go up, better the view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brando2407
Reviewed 7 March 2013

The Gertrude is a lovely hotel and great value. The room we had was very large, warm and cosy. The bed was really comfy and the room was nicely decorated. The staff were friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was great (there was even free champagne), though the staff did get a little overwhelmed on the busy weekend.

The hotel is a little way from the city centre, but this is not a bad thing. We walked to the old town in about 20 minutes (even late at night). The area is quiet and there are one or two restaurants and cheap supermarkets near by. The Lido restaurnt just down the street is a great canteen style restaurant that serves good, cheap Latvian food.

This hotel was great value and I would highly recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple