“Great value hotel- but not perfect”

Rixwell Gertrude Hotel
Ranked #26 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel is a 15 minutes walk to the old town although a variety of public transport can be used to get there, including the number 1 trolleybus which stops outside the hotel. The staff at the hotel spoke very good English and tried to be helpful. I had paid for a deluxe room as reading other reviews the standard rooms are very small. The day I arrived the temperature in Riga had been around 30 degrees centigrade. On walking into my room it was like a sauna, but I was pleased to see an air-conditioning unit on the wall. Unfortunately I couldn't get this to work! I also noticed the space for a minibar was empty. I went down to reception but as it was late they couldn't get any one to look at the room. He provided a fan to help us sleep. Unfortunately I didn't sleep well due to the heat. The next day we went out all day expecting our problems with the room to be fixed.... but they hadn't! Down to reception again, only to be told the hotel was having the air-conditioning upgraded and anyway it wouldn't be turned on till July (despite the literature in the room stating otherwise). After a little discussion we were upgraded to a suite which we were told would have working air conditioning..... but it didn't, however as it was not directly south facing it was a little cooler. The deluxe rooms have a kettle but not coffee or creamer and mainly fruit teas. Our original room had a shower but the suite had a very nice bath. Breakfast was of a good standard with a variety of dishes, however the breakfast room is rather cramped and it is difficult to get through it when people are sitting at the tables.
This all sounds very negative, but I did enjoy my stay and this hotel has the potential to be excellent. Riga is an interesting city and I found the people to be very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robbobtun

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here recently in a triple room. Lots of space, clean and good bathroom. Lots of choice at breakfast and about a 20 min walk from the Old Town, all very easy to navigate!

The only negative was the air conditioning was not very good and we were there a hot weekend! Happily the windows opened but maybe the aircon could be updated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights at Wellton Gertrude in May 2014. The room was a bit small (room 212) but otherwise fine. clean and spacious bathroom with shower+tub. Quiet area about 15 minutes walk from the Old Town. Bus 1 minute away if you're feeling lazy. Good breakfast with eggs, sausages, bacon, pancakes, cereal, yoghurt, fruit etc... And sparkling wine :) Helpful staff. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hilde B
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel from 24 to 27 April 2014.
First, it was confusing and difficult to locate the breakfast room which was the far side of the building from my room and down a flight of stairs. Secondly, the breakfast room is very small and cramped, and the breakfast choice was very limited with the only hot food consisting of eggs.
Fourthly, I most disappointed and annoyed at check-out to be charged an additional ten euros for cleaning a so-called dirty hand towel, which in fact had only a tiny mark on it from brown corrector cream. When I asked to see the towel I was told this had been sent for cleaning and I was made to feel like a liar because I had queried the extra charge. The receptionist was unsympathetic and unfriendly and the incident cast a dark shadow over my entire stay. Folk staying in this hotel need to be wary of such extra charges which do not appear to be publicised. I have never experienced this practice before in hotels in Riga or elsewhere in the world.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank intabergmane886
O S, Public Relations Manager at Rixwell Gertrude Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us.
We are very sorry and surprised to hear about the inconveniences caused. Please accept our apologies. Your comments were forwarded to the relevant departments so we would be able to take necessary steps in improving services and facilities.
Despite to the incoveniences caused, we hope that you will give us a chance to restore your faith in us by visiting one of our properties.

Olga Stavinska
Public Relations Manager
Wellton Hotel Group

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Very nice and cozy hotel in quiet area.
The old building makes you feel like in castle )
Room is big enough and high ceilings are perfect to enjoy your stay.
Walk to the city center - 15-25 min.
Friendly stuff and delicios breakfast even with champagne in the morning - what a nice surprise! )

Room Tip: room facing back yard is defenetely quiet
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jevgenija111
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed several time in this hotel in 2013. Very good value for money. Confortable and spacious rooms, quiet. 15-20 minutes walk from the old town but public transport is nearby and a taxi cost less than 8 euros to get there. A few issues though with a young girl from reception that spoiled a bit my stay. Other members of the staff are all very helpfull and friendly. My second better option in Riga.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Wellton Gertrude hotel is well located. From the railway station you can quickly get to by public as well as on foot. The service friendly and helpful. Hotel high. Rooms clean, beds comfortable basically equipped. Similarly to the bathroom. WiFi working correctly. Unfortunately, on the minus breakfast - like a nice variety but for us it was not a good thing. To sum up - the average quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
O S, Public Relations Manager at Rixwell Gertrude Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you had an overall positive experience with our service. While we wouldn`t underestimate the importance of a cup of coffee in the morning, most of our guests would like to see wide choice of drinks and food.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you soon again.

KInd regards,