I hate giving such a low rating, but I couldn't give any higher for these reasons:
1. We booked a 4-star hotel and got, at best, a 3-star. That's not to say the hotel isn't nice because it is, but we were expecting something different.
2. Our room was noisy. We arrived and were given a room in a busy corridor and above the hotel "bar" which meant we could hear the breakfast traffic in the morning and chairs sliding on the floor at night. We asked to move but were told it wouldn't be possible until the next day, "maybe".
3. Although the reception staff were friendly, they weren't able to help us at all with recommendations for sights or restaurants. Thank god we had WiFi for Tripadvisor!
4. We put the "Please clean our room" sign on our door one day and the room wasn't really cleaned. The tea mugs were left dirty on the desk and the bathroom wasn't done, but the bed had been made. The other days we just went out and the room was done properly - though we hung our towels and they were changed every time. Not a complaint, but we would've used them again to save washing.
5. Most of the TV channels were in Russian. We didn't come to Riga to watch TV, but would've been nice to have more variety, especially with news channels. I understand a bit of Russian and I can't say I particularly enjoyed the news on Ukraine!
I know these might be niggly things, but when you only get one trip away from the kids, the small things really matter.
However, it would be unfair not to mention the good things:
1. The room was clean and comfortable
2. The location meant we saw more than Vecriga
3. The price was good
4. We liked the breakfast, but thought, again, it was more 3-star standard
The hotel needs to change its advertised star rating as it will never be a 4-star in its current location. Why not be a fab 3-star and be proud of that?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rixwell Gertrude Hotel is located within the central area of the Riga city in a nineteenth century Art Nouveau style building, which was restored recently. The Hotel offers 79 bright and spacious rooms with excellent soundproofing. All this make Rixwell Gertrude Hotel attractive for Riga guests and travelling families with children. Riga is an amazing city with European heritage and authentic charm. Its visitors are simply destined to fall in love with its parks, churches, canals and Art Nouveau buildings. Make sure that for your stay in Riga you choose a place that speaks the same language with the city and its people. Whether you are visiting Riga for business, leisure, social or family purpose, in Rixwell Gertrude Hotel we are commited to providing you with the highest quality of hotel services! We know that little things do matter when you are travelling. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Rixwell Gertrude Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fg Gertrude Riga City Centre Hotel Riga