“Service failure clouds experience”
Review of Hotel Edvards

Hotel Edvards
Ranked #53 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I've waited awhile to write this review for perspective.
I expected a budget hotel in an older building within walking distance of art nouveau architecture with nice staff based on the reviews. I did find that.

What colored the experience for me was the way the staff knew there was a problem with my room and did not tell me when checking in. No "here is the problem and this is what we are doing", nothing.

When I arrived there was a problem with my room and the staff did not tell me. I unpacked and settled into my room with shared balcony only to discover there was only a sheer curtain on the windows and doors by the bed. The blinds were missing and there was no rod to hang a curtain. When I asked, staff knew about it and said it would be fixed by the evening.
When I returned at 7pm or so, I was told it would be fixed before I wanted to go to bed at 10pm.
At 9pm, I found a different person at the desk who said they were told at 6pm that it was not fixed, but it was no problem as there is an architectural feature and low wall outside, so I should sleep in the bed with sheers and a shared balcony with people outside at that time.
They didn't want me to move because I would be expected to move back to the original room the next night. I'm not sure why because they were not fully booked. Except I had reserved a more expensive room.

So, I downgraded to get a window covering. Gave up the safe, tea/coffee, more space. Got a shower with mold. Otherwise it all worked out. I stayed the 2 nights in the smaller, cheaper room.

Things break, problems happen, but its how the service provider acts in these situations that really makes a lasting impression.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Metwo3

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Two cousins and I spent two nights at this well-situated, clean, bare-bones B&B with an elevator -- a hotel only, perhaps, because the nice lady at the front desk will leave her post and make you a drink at the bar any time of day. The satisfying breakfast was served, rather than a buffet, with a choice of eggs and toast. The internal courtyard the hotel shares with other buildings can get noisy at night, but closing the windows made for a good sleep. The small TV, as elsewhere in Latvia, offered 99% Russian-Language stations, with VH1 the only English-language option. So this is not a place to relax during the day, but to sleep, with Old Town minutes away, a front-desk-recommended Soviet-style cafeteria steps away (a must-visit for tourists who've never experienced Cold War-era dining), and the Radisson Blu's amazing Gastronome restaurant available nearby for New York-style fine dining. Ignore reviewers' comments mentioning "luxury" here, and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We visited with a group, the hotel having been found for us by the friend who did all the bookings. The staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English, and the hotel was clean and bright, and nicely furnished. Breakfast was good, with a wide variety of foods.

It was a little noisy in the street one night, but since Latvia had been playing Lithuania in a World Cup European qualifying match that night I think that was a reasonable aberration. The rest of the time it was very quiet.

As others have said, the hotel is superbly situated, with easy access on foot to the old town and to the Art Nouveau quarter, but with buses and trams handy if walking is not your thing.

1  Thank Jane C
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The Edvards hotel in Riga is an amazing place to stay the staff are so helpful about where to visit and travelling.The rooms were excellent water in the room every day pity no tea and coffee in room as that would have been the icing on the cake. The Hotel is central to Ll that is going on around and easy to get to from the airport cannot wait till I go back

Room Tip: All of the rooms I looked at were very good no noise from any but the little balcony we had was grea...
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My friend and I stayed in a twin room in this hotel in June. We liked the location of the hotel, It's located in a nice, safe, mainly residential area with restaurants very close to the Jugendstil area and it's only a short, nice walk to Old Town. The hotel itself was good too. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the room and bathroom were clean and quite spacious. The decoration is quite basic, not very modern, but we didn't mind. There was no airco in the room, so we had the window open at night. That meant we could hear a bit of road noise. If you're a light sleeper I would suggest you take earplugs with you. The hotel itself was quiet. The breakfast was okay, not too special, but there was enough choice and it tasted good. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you don't want to stay in Old Town and are looking for good value for your money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Edwards is a relatively small hotel which is located in a courtyard off the main road only 10-15 min walk to the old town. My room was small with a bit outdated decor but it was perfectly ok. Clean, with free WiFi, mini bar, free bottle of water every day and satellite TV. Bathroom (with shower) is spacious and has a hairdryer.
Staff is really friendly and helpful.
Breakfast is served between 7-10am and included into the price. It not extraordinary, but very decent. Eggs, hot sausages, cold cuts, vegetables, muesli, etc. Juices, tea and coffee.
There is a little bar which is open till 10pm. There are also tables outside in courtyard - so you can enjoy your coffee/tea outside.
charge
If needed you can use a computer and printer free of charge.
Hotel Edvards is definitely a great place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ksush
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Good price, fairly central but rather plain hotel good breakfast helpfull staff but I did have some problems with noise from a room above allthough this is not the hotels fault and they did move me
it was a nuisance and hotels should have better soundproofing and or try and put people alone like me away from people who might be noisey ..

Room Tip: I thin k its pot look if you want a quite place
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo