“Nice hotel with a lot of character”
Review of Hotel Justus

Hotel Justus
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 5 October 2012

This is a cool hotel--very interesting furnishings, decoration and interior design make the Hotel Justus stand out. Not in the cold and modern minimalist sense, but rather in a warm sense that was very nice. They put a lot of thought into designing this hotel, and it shows.

My room was nice...not too big, but certainly big enough, with an excellent shower, etc.

The breakfast was good, in a dining room that reflects the cool character of the rest of the hotel. The location of the hotel is perfect---on a smaller street, but a short stroll down a cobblestone street gets you right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Old Riga. I did not experience any noise issues with this hotel.

I would highly recommend this place, and it's an excellent value for the money. I only gave it four stars, because it's not quite on the same level as the Neiburgs and the Bergs, where I also stayed. But I would definitely stay at the Hotel Justus again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PaulyDenver_CO

Reviewed 6 September 2012

The hotel is located in the centre of Riga - equally between the 'House of the Blackheads' and the Dome (cathedral). Despite having a room on the street front, it was quiet. The staff were very friendly and helpful. A particular bonus was the chauffeur driven Mercedes from the airport (arranged beforehand for an extra 20 Euro as we had a late arrival). Breakfast was excellent, with some interesting dishes. The room itself was full of character and well-equipped, it was very clean and well-maintained during our stay. The hotel as a whole is deliberately 'quirky' which was great fun - we particularly enjoyed the Banksy-style murals on the walls and the use of wooden Latvian grain baskets as lampshades. Overall an excellent experience which we would have no hesitation in recommending to friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I wouldn't say this is really a boutique hotel, but it does have a nice warm atmosphere with plenty of old furnishings in both the common parts and the rooms.
The hotel is super-centrally located, which is one of the big plusses. The downside of this is that is could be noisy, though I didn't have anything to complain about. The staff was very friendly: at my arrival a girl from the reception showed me three different rooms I could chose from. The room I chose was very spacious (a plus in the centre), with clean bathroom.
Breakfast was just OK, though for this category and price I would expect a broader range of items to choose from. It was served in a nice stable-like room, with lounge music that could have been a bit less loud.
Compared to other hotels it's a bit pricy, but I guess that is the price for the central location and boutique-like furnishings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor (which is second floor according to Western European standards), w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank GypsyKingBrussels
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This hotel is not easy to find - but it is worth the search. We loved it and the location is great for the old town. The hotel is built in a corner of what was the cloister of the Dom and part of our bedroom walls were left bare to show the old bricks.
The bed was comfortable, the shower room excellent and we had no trouble with noise. We liked the slightly odd furnishings - the painted wooden wardrobe and the old treadle sewing machine used as a table base.
We enjoyed our very reasonably priced dinner on our first night so much that we ate there again on the last night of a three night stay.
This is not the place for those who want the uniformity of the big chain hotels but if you like individuality and humour then try Hotel Justus.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MAAGHI
Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed here two nights (8/17-19) which coincided with the Riga Indepenence celebration. I couldn't have asked for a more centrally located hotel from which to explore the Old Town. Just around the corner from the hotel is the square which contains the old Guild Hall, and for the weekend they had set up a stage where orchestras, choirs, and folksingers and dancers performed most of the weekend.

The room itself was a bit small and the cup in the bathroom was not clean. The room was quiet, though and the bed was comfortable. Like most hotels in Europe, there was no top sheet on the bed and it could get rather warm at night sleeping under the heavy comforter.

I also has a problem on the second day of my stay where my key would no longer open the electronic lock on my door. It took me three trips to reception to finally get a working key which would allow me access to my room.

I don't eat breakfast, so I can't comment on the quality of the included breakfast.

All in all, a decent hotel, in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Explorersample
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I ordered a superior bedroom which was nice an big. Unfortunately the room was smelling of urine, and there was gum sticking to the bed. Also the room was located next to the elevator shaft and the Air Con to the whole hotel which gave quite a lot of noise.

Service was very good otherwise, they lend us an umbrella for free when it started raining :)
Breakfast was also very good. Good location as well. Close to the river and oldtown.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Anders K
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Stayed two nights in August 2012 in this hotel located in the old city center. Driving to the hotel through the old town takes an updated GPS. Parking was close by in walking distance but took some driving because of street layout in old city. Parking was not cheap (10 LVL pr. night). The interior of the hotel has a fantastic style to it and the reception desk is very helpful. Room on the top floor (room 501) facing the street and there were a little noise from neighboring bars at night. I imagine it can get noisy during weekends, but at least the room has air conditioning so there is no need for open windows. Room is very big with two twin beds put together as one so you can't sleep in the middle. One of the mattresses was worn out but since I was on my own I just used the other one. There is a sitting area with a table and four chairs, and a big cupboard. Since it is top floor the walls are tilted so a lot of the space in the room is wasted and the three windows sits very high. TV is rather small but has some English speaking channels. Bathroom is excellent with big corner bathtub (but I don't like shampoo in little bags I want small bottles). The sink had a minor plumbing issue and would make noises for to or three minutes after being used. The free wireless internet connection in this room was some what erratic. I was offered a RJ-45 cable by the reception but with only a smartphone and an IPad that was of little use. I only ate breakfast one day at the hotel at that was not the best experience. The not so exiting breakfast was supposed to include a cook to order omelet (or similar) but waiter ever showed up to take my order. So lot of little and large faults but I loved the hotel regardless and will hopefully return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo