“Absolutely great”

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Helsinki
“Absolutely great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

Well, what can I say... extremely friendly and helpful staff, great value, good location. Everything you could ask for a few day city getaway.
Only the morning coffee could have been stronger for my taste ;)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

We stayed for 2 days in this hotel which is situated in the old riga centre and about 15 min walk from the bus coach station and the train station (we had traveled from tallinn to riga by euroline bus). We had booked a standard double room via hotel web site for 80 euro per night (including breakfast). The room was pretty big and so was the bathroom. Everything in the room was carefully decorated. The breakfast was satisfactory. The receptionists were really helpful about giving information for the city and the transportation. I have to mention that it is the first year that this hotel is open. It was a really pleasure stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

This is a delightfully renovated old building, retaining many period features, and in the heart of the old city. I stayed for just one night, relaxing after a business trip to eastern Latvia. In a hotel of this quality it's the little things that irritate, and my comments should not be taken as suggesting that this is a place to avoid. It just needs a little improvement to beome the perfect place to stay.

My room was very comfortable and spacious, but was not really aimed at either a business traveller or tourists. The business traveller would notice the absence of a desk, the low level of lighting, and the variability of the wifi signal. The tourists might notice the absence of a comfortable chair into which to flop at the end of a day wandering around the city.

The shower in the beatiful bathroom has no thermostatic control, so the temperature of the water varies when other people in the building take a shower. This is true of so many hotels. They spend a small fortune fitting out the bathroom, and then skimp on something that could ensure the guest's comfort.

A plus side of this hotel is the 'Le Crabe' restaurant, where an excellent evening meal can be had, but even there the breakfast coffee needs to be made from a more drinkable blend of beans.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank IanAberdeen
Dubai, UAE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2010

My wife and I just spent a lovely week of winter in Riga--a memorable week made all the more special by our discovery of the Hotel Justus. What other "Excellent" reviews have said--it's all true. The entire staff was friendly and helpful to a fault. The room was large, well-appointed, and quiet. The mattresses and bedding are so comfortable you'd like to take them home with you. Internet connection is free--they'll provide the cable at Reception.
The location, as has been said repeatedly on this site, was superb. We were able to walk to every place we wanted to see, even the Central Market, which is just outside the Old Town. The Justus staff helped arrange our opera visits and bus travel to Tallinn. Olga, the Market Manager, contacted the airline to reserve our seats for our outbound flight, and EVEN contacted the government visa agency to clarify the requirements for my wife (a citizen of Thailand).
Latvian food is delicious, a real highlight of our week there, and there are some excellent., inexpensive, restaurants within a short walk from the hotel. (See my review of the Neibergs Restaurant, which is just across the street.)
Breakfast at the Justus may not be as flashy as in some other places, but upon request they will cook you a nice bacon-and-cheese omelette, and there's an assortment of vegetables, fruits, yogurt and cereals to get you off to a healthy start. (Nobody in the Baltics however, seems to know what decaf coffee is all about, so if you're caffeine-sensitive, then take some decaf with you.)
Within this glowing review I feel that I need to criticize something, else you'll think I'm on commission (!) so I will say that the TV channels are woefully short on English stations. Only CNN was working when we were there. Even BBC World was missing. Not that people travel to Riga to watch TV, but sometimes on a winter evening it would be nice to come in and snuggle up to a good movie--but no such luck.
With that one minor criticism, this is a great place. Why would anyone pay more to stay anywhere else?

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

As for me it was going back to my good old Riga after years living abroad I was delited to find there was a new hotel open in the Old Town and in the pictures it looked charming, so we booked it. The staff was friendly and the hotel itself with lots of features. There was only one strange thing in our bathroom: the cold water was running when turned the red but the hot one - the blue. Before we realised that it took me about 10 mins running water, searching for "the secret button" to press to turn it on etc.
The breakfast. The choise was not exactly the best what Latvian food industry can offer, however they have managed to balance between cheap and acceptable quite well. The juice could be better quality and the coffee wasn't too tasty neither.
However, this hotel DOES represent very good value for the price they charge. Welcome to my country! :))

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

Stayed in a superior twin for a Saturday and Sunday night. The hotel is beautiful and the room one of the nicest I've stayed in. The bathroom was large and shower great. Lovely view of bell towers. I thought the breakfast was really nice, unlike some other reviewers, better than in some other Eastern European cities. We stayed in room 417 to start with which is facing the street and right next to a bar. This bar is open till 3.a.m. Monday to Thursday and till 6 a.m. Friday and Saturday. They play very loud music out into the open and they face an empty square so the sound booms around and thuds through the walls. We fell asleep quite quickly as we were tired from our journey but within an hour or so we were awake and continued to be so most of the night till the bar closed. It was unbearable and such a surprise as the hotel is situated in a very quiet area during the day. We asked reception to change our room the next day and this was done quickly and without fuss. This was much better although the bar was closed on the Sunday anyway so I cannot say whether we would still have heard the music. It was such a shame as the owners have taken such care with the restoration of this building and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future as another newly restored hotel - just as nice as the Justus - is due to open in a few months. It is opposite and I am sure their clients will suffer as we did so I cannot believe this situation will be allowed to continue. On a plus side we ate at the restaurant attached to the new hotel opposite which is already open and it was wonderful. Neibergs I think it was called.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Londontraveller033
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

My friend an me stayed in the Hotel Justus for a couple of days. It is a very new hotel, just opened. The rooms are very good, free Internet, the only thing that bothered me of the younger media generation was that the TV was a bit small, but I didn't come to Riga to watch TV ...........................................
Breakfast is included in the price. It is not a huge breakfast with a lot of varieties, but it was good.
The hotel is right in old town, so a very good location for sightseeing, though it is hard to reach by car.
There is a restaurant in the hotel which I dearly recommend.
The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends