“Really small room, I expected more”

Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Trondheim, Norway
“Really small room, I expected more”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This hotel is a budjet hotel with really small rooms (the rooms looks much bigger on their website!) and not great service. We booked a room with "backyard" view which was really no view at all - it was just a small square in between the blocks of the hotel. Vittoria was not a pleasent receptionist, she did not try to help us when we had a problem and she never had a smile on her face. The breakfast was okay, but when things went out it took a long time before it got back again (especially the sparkling wine). Location is great, near the centre of the old town. We did not try the spa.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Matiss_Cesnieks, Manager at Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for being our guest and taking time to share your comments regarding our hotel on Tripadvisor. We like to explain that some rooms has smaller than others, thats why we always suggest for guest who like to stay in more comfort to choose Superior or Business class rooms- as these rooms are spacious and offer more comfortable stay. We like to inform that we are constantly improving our services - including personal training and our product supply quality.
Please accept our apologies for caused inconveniences regarding the services as well information has been forwarded to the corresponding hotel departments.

Thank you one more time for sharing your experience with us, and we do hope that all things considered you will decide to revisit the hotel in teh future.

Assistant Marketing manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 24 August 2013

As soon as I checked in I noticed the sink broken and the blind courtain not working properly. I imediately asked for maintenance. They fixed the sink but all they did for the window was giving me a scisor and a scotch tape to fix it by myself (yes, they asked me to do it by muself). In the next morning I formaly complained and asked to fix the courtain (at this time of the year the sun comes up 5 in the morning) or change my room. When I returned in the evening they hadn't done anything! I asked to change the room and I was not allowed. For the second day I woke very early because of the sun on my face. I checked out after the second night without sleeping. Also, the hand towell was dirty. Terrible experience. Any room are subject to maintenance, but usualy any hotel fix it for having acceptable conditions for the guests, but this hotel doen't. Never come back again and strongly advice other travelers for not staying there.

Room Tip: If you don't have a good service you can't have a good room, any.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Matiss_Cesnieks, Manager at Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor concerning your recent stay at the Wellton Old Riga Palace. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has been our mission.We have addressed the Maintanance issue, and send information to corresponding hotel department to fix this situation.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us, and we look forwarded to welcoming back at Wellton Old Riga Palace.

Assitant Marketing Manager
Ispra, Italy
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed there for a July weekend: the hotel is quite central and quite close to the airport bus stops. Nevertheless it was not noisy at all. All major sights are in walking distance.

They even have free umbrellas to borrow in case it is raining.

The room was a bit too small. Breakfast buffet was OK.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Matiss_Cesnieks, Manager at Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for posting a review on Trip Advisor concerning your recent stay at Wellton Elefant Hotel.
We are very pleased that you found so many positive aspects that you enjoyed during your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Wellton Old Riga Palace Hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and loved it. This hotel is a 5 min walk from the Old town square and surrounded by attractions and restaurants. The hotel staff is super friendly and when they could not find the room type that I booked available, they immediately upgraded me to the nicest rooms in the hotel. Room was spacious, comfortable and with quality fixtures. Free high speed wifi and included breakfast (limited choices though) were welcome too.

Room Tip: Choose the 6th floor (top) for the biggest rooms in the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

We are pleased to read that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything of a high standart, especially our rooms. We would also like to thank you for positive comments about our team members who provided you excellent service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Wellton Elefant Hotel.

Ishoej, Denmark
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I booked 2 rooms for 3 nights and we were greeted and shown to our rooms - no problem so far. Unfortunately the aircondition in one of the rooms was not working, and even though we told them every day, they did not manage to get it fixed, and we were offered absolutely no compensation! They simply did not care.

One of the rooms was extremely tiny and the shower unusable for people size XL or more. The breakfast buffet was in my opinion really bad - i have had better breakfast in french motorway hotels! But I guess that that taste differs from country to country.

Tho good part wars the location: central but still relatively quiet. Good bar, clean rooms, friendly staff in the reception. But it seemed that the hotel was run by 20-something year old people. Good service, great english but without any means to get much done.

There are so many hotels i central Riga, and should I return, I would probably try another one. But that should not keep you from booking the Old Riga Palace.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Matiss_Cesnieks, Manager at Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your stay with us.We are disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. We would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay. We like to explain that guests who like more comfort ,we always suggest to choose Superior comfortable seating area. Please accept our apologies for caused inconveniences regarding the services and we will try to fix these problems as soon as possible. Like to inform that your comments has already forwarded to the corresponding hotel departments.

Thank you one more time for your comments we appreciate that stay with us and we will be more than happy to welcome back.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We booked this hotel three months in advance but yet when we tried to check in we were advises they had double booked and sent us miles outside the city centre to a bloody hostel that smelt like urine and I had to sleep in the floor despite paying for a four star hotel with spa treatments we couldn't even get a drink or bite to eat and they were so so rude to us!!! The hotel couldn't of cared less that they had double booked and sent us out to the sticks and were also rude, I've never ever received serviceable this in my life and the staff couldn't of cared less- don't waste your money here guys cause u won't even get to stay here!!! Liars!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Matiss_Cesnieks, Manager at Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear, Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to review our Old Riga Palace hotel. We truly value the opinions of our custumers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. We already forwarded your comments to corresponding hotel and we already fix these problems, more like to inform that we are constantly improving our services - including personal staff trainings.

We hope to see you again in the futute and wish you the very best.

Uttoxeter, Staffordshire
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I spent 4 nights in this Hotel recently and was initially worried about the surroundings- not a particularly salubrious area of Riga with derelict buildings next door and up the road but I need not have worried.

This Hotel is extremely well positioned with the river front seconds away and the central part of Old Riga less than 5 mins walk- just ignore the old ruins!! My room (number 101) was small but then I only booked a single room but very smart. Bathroom too was smart but a bigger person than me would have had a problem fitting through the shower opening. My room was very well air conditioned. I believe I was lucky here because I heard other people complain that the air conditioning in their rooms did not work and indeed the public rooms lacked air conditioning.

Staff that I came in contact with were friendly and spoke reasonable English. Breakfast was extremely good with plenty of choice. There was a small under used bar which I eat and drank in once- a good meal on my first night before I discovered other bars/restaurants in the town.

All in all, a good value Hotel. I enjoyed my stay very much and would stay again if I ever go back to Latvia.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest

We are very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us.Your kind comments are greatly appreciated.Custumer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

Once again thank you very much for your kind support and we look forward to welcoming back to any of the Wellton Hotels in the near future.