“A nice stay in the old center of Riga”

Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel
Ranked #35 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay, the room was even too big for two people but, as you might guess, it wasn't a problem. Prices are reasonable, the breakfast is even too much, located in the old town. I loved it!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Micheleypf
Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I had a four-day stay at Wellton Old Riga Palace Hotel. Very friendly and helpful hotel staff. It is very convenient as the hotel is located in the old town. You need to walk only for 5 minutes into the old town. The hotel room is clean and OK.

I will stay at this hotel again if I will visit Riga again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Haifeng S
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My wife and I returned from this Hotel today and I will happily say it is worth a visit.
To start with some advice on getting there.
1. If you are flying RYANAIR like we did be carefuk with your baggage. They most definitely checked the size of the bag both ways and made all cases that were too big to fit in the gauge travel in the hold.
2. There is a 7 Euro payment you have to make in the Airport before you fly home. I found this purely by chance and it is do with Security (I was looking for flight information and stumbled upon it). The people sat next to me on the flight had not heard of it and to be honest I probably would of either.
3. When you get to RIGA you can either get a cab or the Bus in to the city. We were told by a Cab driver the fare would be between 10-15 EURO`S depending on level of traffic. It is metered and so it is pretty fair.
We caught the bus. Number 22 (located at the bottom of the car park). At the bus stop there is a machine, for all languages, that is very easy to use. You can pre buy as many bus journeys as you wish for 60 cents a trip. We only used it to get out and back so only bout 2 journeys each. Simple. It took about 25 minutes. If you sit on the right side as you are facing forward as you cross the main river you can see the Wellton Hotel on the right, so get off the bus at the end of the bridge and it is100 yds walk to the HOTEL.
On to the Hotel now.
We arrived at 11.30. Check in was quick and both receptionists spoke very good English. We were told the room was not available until 2pm (which we already knew), but we could leave our bags in the left luggage room.
The room was spacious, with a Hairdryer, Fridge, Flat Screen TV and a safe (free).
Breakfast would suit all Nationalities with Hot choice, Cereals, Cold meats and Cheeses, Porridge and a good selection of teas, coffees and fruit juices.
We did not use the Restaurant in the evening, but looking at the Menu it looked like it served a good choice of Dinner options.
The Hotel was well situated with the main attractions of the Old Town a mere 5 minutes walk away.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to going again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tedthechippy
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my friends came for the weekend so I choice this hotel because of location and we weren't disappointed. It is very clean, quiet and friendly hotel. Beds are comfortable ( of course only if you like soft pillows ). Would definitely reconnect to my friends and family.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Very good hotel, stayed here for one night. Very comfortable beds, they moved two twins to make a double however I didn't really mind. Good breakfast, a lot to pick from. The girl working at the bar was very nice. The only thing is the shower was quite small, and even for me who's only 5'3 it was difficult to turn around without accidentally switching it off. However, apart from that I definitely recommend this hotel , very good location as well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The location for exploring old Riga is spot on and for business purposes a taxi ride away. The staff at reception were friendly, and helpful when a taxi was required. The evening meal was excellent, fresh soup, followed by the tuna being cooked perfectly. My room in the 4th floor was quiet, spacious and clean. For about €74.00 for bed & breakfast it offered very good value.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Booked three nights at The Old Riga Palace for a short city break in Riga. Having read other reviews about Riga we decided to catch the number 22 bus from the airport. Easy to do as it stops right outside the terminal. Cost to the city centre is €1.20 per person each way. A five minute walk via an underpass gets you to the hotel. As our room was not ready we left our luggage in the luggage room and headed off to explore. On returning our room was ready and we had been upgraded to a standard room from an economy room. The room was excellent, with a tv, safe and basic tea-making facilities (only blackcurrant or lemon tea, no coffee!). The bathroom is good, although I would agree with other reviews that the shower is small. I'm not big, but I kept turning the shower off whenever I turned. Breakfast is excellent with yoghurts, breads, cheeses, pastries, bacon, sausage etc. Location of the hotel is excellent. Right on the edge of the old town, close to the bus and train stations. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you want an hotel in a very central location at a reasonable cost.
Spent a lot of time exploring Riga and also did two train trips. The first was to the seaside resort of Jurmala. €2.74 for a return train ticket. Journey time about half an hour. There is no Jurmala train station, so you need to get off at Majori. Well worth a visit. As it was out of season it was very quiet, but I imagine it must be very crowded and busy during the summer.
The second trip we did was to the Salaspils memorial to the German work camp which was located there during the Second World War. Not much remains of the actual camp other than some foundations, but there are statues and memorials. Quite a difficult place to find, though. Take a train from Riga to Dārziņi which costs €1.27 return. When you get there you are dropped off in the forest with just a shelter as a station. Cross the railway tracks and walk to the right of the shelter along the dirt track. Keep going parallel to the tracks for about a mile until you come to a road which crosses the railway line. Turn left up the road until you come to a right hand bend. On the bend you will see a track leading off the road which is blocked off by concrete bollards. Adjacent to this track is the car park. Continue up the track until you come to the memorial. There are no sign posts anywhere to be seen, but it's well worth the effort of finding it. On the day that we visited there was no-one else there, which made it very eerie.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nigel H
O S, Public Relations Manager at Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Mr Nigel H,

Thank you for taking time and effort to share your feedback.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Wellton Old Riga Palace Hotel.
Hopefully we will be able to welcome you in our hotel in the nearest future and would be happy to suggest some more trips around Latvia.

Best regards,