“Far away from four stars”

Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel
Ranked #37 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a night only, it was more or less an "accident" as we had to stay over night in Riga (even though planned differently) and we were just transferred here from overbooked Albert Hotel. (Finding us another hotel took ages, by the way, and only after insisting on a taxi they agreed to pay it for us.) So we were glad to have found a hotel for the night, but I couldn't imagine staying here for a whole weekend.
The location is not bad, at the edge of the old town, but it is surrended by old buildings (perhaps from the Soviet times) better described as ruins. The ladies at the reception were nice and friendly. However, the room was a disaster. It was on the 6th floor which means attic. It was SO hot!!! The airconditioning did help a bit, but we could hardly sleep at all, only opening the windows helped, but then all the light came in as well. Also the room was tiny, just like the bathroom that didn't seem to have any kind of airconditioning. The water in the tiny shower wasn't flowing off, the drain wasn't obviously functioning either. The TV did work, but it was an adventure to find any channels - only after calling the reception we were told that one has to go over 900 to find a few functioning channels. Our room was also located near the noisy elevator, so there was no chance of sleep after the first guests started using it in the morning.
The breakfast was okay - a very limited choice of food however, for example only one type of bread, white. The choice of cereals was much better. The ladies working in the basement breakfast room were far from being nice and friendly.
Despite of the relatively moderate price, I'd advise everyone to stay away from this hotel, at least our experience was so bad that we'd never consider staying here another night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Unelma333
O S, Public Relations Manager at Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Mrs Judit K,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear about the experience you had. All your comments were forwarded to the relevant departments and we are working on improvement.
We hope, that the inconveniences you experienced, won't prevent you from visiting our hotels again. We would appreciate an opportunity to restore your faith in us!

Kind regards,
Olga Stavinska
Wellton Hotel Group

Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Not a bad hotel at all. Very cheap for a 4* hotel. Perfect location - in the heart of Old Riga.

Well mannered and educated staff, that spoke in Russian, English, Latvian and German.

Clean Rooms, nice minibar and the bar on the ground floor.

Superb breakfast.

Was surprised that almost all guests were German.

Only minus, the shower was so small :D I'm glad I'm not obese, otherwise there is no way to shower in it .

Definitely will choose this hotel, when back in Riga.

Room Tip: 5th floor rooms were good, cozy and with a good view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Seems like hotel aimed at bus tours, and was crowded at breakfast and check in / out when elevator can be difficult. Recommend pay the difference for a larger room, which was quiet and had small balcony and mini bar. Staff OK and English v good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeNZ2013
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Very nice hotel located on a nice quite street still in the Riga old town. Very nice buffte breakfast, wide selection of food and drinks. Room was very small and beds very narrow. The staff could be more helpful and more familiar with hotel business.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Estonianguest
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I lost a gold ring and I didn't notice until I was in the bus to Tallinn. The staff took the trouble to ring my home in London the same day, and tell my family they had found a ring in my room and they would be sending it shortly. It arrived a few days ago. Just for that I think this hotel deserves top marks!!! Thank you

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Rosina H
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I'm afraid I can't share the enthusiasm of some other recent reviewers for this hotel.

True, its location, a restored house at the edge of the old town, is good and strategic. Room 506 provides a nice glimpse of the market buildings, and is quite light. However, even though I had the luxury of single occupancy of a double room, I found it cramped -- like the shower. Annoyingly, an airconditioning light flickers 24/7; the first receptionist said, "hold the button and it will switch off" -- quod non; the second laconically offered me a post-it to cover the light.

Breakfast choices are OK, but unimaginative, with the exception of the salads. Worse, though, is that breakfast is served in a dark basement, fitted out in depressingly bad taste. An English-language news channel is permanently on, magnetizing people's attention as if they are all watching a solar eclipse. Mindless muzak plays all the time. The atmosphere is that of a canteen rather than a four star hotel.

Upon my early arrival, the receptionist waved me to a space where I could store my luggage, instead of helping me get it there. The room was not locked -- indeed a notice warns guests not to leave valuables in their suitcase!

In all manner of ways, I felt unwelcome. I know for a fact that there are far better hotel options in Riga.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank ChF_10
O S, Public Relations Manager at Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time and effort to share your feedback.
We would like to explain that already forwarded information to corresponding hotel departments. We hope that next time when staying with us, you would be able to see the difference.

Kind regards,
Olga Stavinska.
Public Relations Manager
Welton Hotel Group

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

This is an older hotel that has no real view, but is conveniently located near all the sights. This hotel is also close to the train depot and bus depot.

It has all the standard travel amenities (wi-fi, etc). The room was good, and the hotel staff were excellent.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful. Dinner was available, but you would do better (selection and price wise) at a restaurant in Old Town.

• Stayed: May 2014