Funky Hostel and Apartments
US$230
US$207
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Bellevue Park Hotel Riga(Riga)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$112
US$176
  • Pool
US$114
US$89
  • Breakfast included
Rixwell Elefant Hotel(Riga)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$74
US$152
US$111
US$97
  • Breakfast included
Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel(Riga)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$89
US$147
US$140
US$136
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsliving roomtop floorfree breakfast isold towna great stayrooms are largeminute walkenjoyed my stayluggagewifibaronamenitiestvlounge
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is the only the second time I'd ever stayed in a hostel and to be honest I was pretty sceptical - I expected a massive prison-style establishment with iron bunk beds and hordes of drunken tourists. Thankfully, I couldn't have been more wrong.

The hostel is run by a lovely Aussie lady called Eve, and she goes out of her way to help her guests. As soon as I booked she sent me a clear and detailed email explaining how to get to the hostel by taxi or various forms of public transport. I would be arriving after normal hours but that was no problem and Eve stayed up to greet me and make me feel at home.

The hostel itself is a large apartment on the top floor of a residential/office building, it's quite small with only around 20 or so beds, I stayed in a private double room which was clean and comfortable. The bathrooms/kitchen and communal areas were all clean and more like a family home than a hostel.

There's no doubt that my experience at Funky hostel was massively enhanced by the lovely fellow travellers I met there but I think a lot of this was thanks to Eve creating such a welcoming environment.

In terms of practicalities, the hostel is really convenient for the old town, central markets, train station and all the sights. The town is mainly on a grid street system and so really easy to navigate.

Thanks again Eve for a great stay!

Jane

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Swallow_Tattoo
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Highly Recommended.

Group of 4 looking for a low cost alternative to a hotel. This was out first experience in a hostel and we have absolutely no complaints. We will definitely return.

Staff were very helpful in giving information on the local area/taxis/eating joints etc. The hostel is a 5-10 minute walk to old town, and has various other amenities within a short walking distance. The perfect place if you're looking for somewhere close to the main areas.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Thank you for a fantastic stay in Riga! The hostel is perfectly located in a very nice area and almost everything is in walking distance. Eve, the host, is a very sweet and nice person and gave us good advice on what to do, where to go and where to eat. Altogether we had a great time and would definetly stay at Funky Barons again. Best wishes from Hamburg M.&C.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank insomniahh
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Good central hostel just outside of the old town in Riga, which is within 10min walking distance or 2 tram stops away. Rimi supermarket close by for amenities, nice kitchen to use, free simple breakfast, very nice and helpful staff; thanx Eve! The stairs are not at all too much, and I'm 53..... if I manage, anyone manages. Only drawback is the trams running late on Barona St just below the hostel and staring again early. For a light sleeper like me that means short nights, even with earplugs. Although the second night I sort of got used to it and slept in late.... :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank markk50_33
FunkyHostel R, Owner at Funky Hostel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

This is very good feedback. We should have thought of this before now. But as a result of this feedback we have decided to make some sound absorbing cushions so guests can choose to place them between the two frames of windows for the rooms facing the tram street.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We've stayed in a double bed room for 2 nights. The room was very comfortable and spacious !
The staff (Eve) is superfriendly and gave us a lot of good recommendations.

By the way. The stairs are very easy to climb and there are less than you think.

Absolutely recommendable.