“Average hotel in rough area”
Review of Tallink Hotel Riga

Tallink Hotel Riga
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Riga
“Average hotel in rough area”
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Good points: central location, newly built hotel with modern design, quiet air conditioning

Bad points: hotel is situated in unpleasant neighbourhood, next to the biggest minibus stop in town and the busiest road hence non-existing view and the noise (I'm local and I normally try to avoid this area after certain hour); unstable wifi connection; unwelcoming reception staff; hotel layout is a maze; restrooms behind reception can only be opened with a room key (made me wonder about my safety); tiny pillows; no toiletries in the bathroom, no tea or coffee facilities in the room; dark decor with mirrors throughout the hotel made me slightly claustrophobic; breakfast is beyond average

Bottom line: probably would book it if I was on a budget and got a good rate. Otherwise there are much better alternatives in town for your money closer to Old Riga

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Nik T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 9 June 2013

First time in Riga, picked this hotel for the location near the train station/main street with bus connections for seeing the town and Jurmala, plus the price. All in all, it was very much worth of the price we got, clean, modern and peaceful.

+ The luggage room service. Our flight wasn't leaving until evening. We felt very safe in leaving our luggage in the locked luggage room. It was centrally positioned, not in a dark corner like most places. The very convincing-looking porter placed a serial numbered id-tag on it. A very nice touch, hate the guessing you have to do in most places.

+ The hotel sauna. It's a nicely built Finnish sauna, just like home=) Although the men's changing room seems to be hard to find, maybe some more signs to show the way?

+ - For the price, the service was well executed and thought-out. For example, when we needed to print our boarding passes, the reception told us to send them to the hotel email and they would print them. They also offered to mail our postcards without asking. It was all very polite, but if only they would have smiled once or twice...

+ - Room view versus peace and quiet. We were given a room overlooking the backyard and garbage bins. The view could have been nicer, but at least it was very peaceful and we got to sleep well. We heard some complaints about the more "scenic" rooms on the street side being very noisy.

- It was tasty, but the breakfast could have been nicer. For example, they didn't have sparkling wine, even though the ad photos said they would. Also they didn't fill the serving dishes quickly enough. The first morning they were empty for such a long time that I was convinced they didn't serve bread rolls at all...

Room Tip: Street side rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EvenJo
Ballston
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The hotel is a hyper modern, new construction. The lobby is striking, and rooms and bathrooms are shiny as a new penny. It was clean and quiet -- I slept very well except for some very noisy revelers returning from a night out -- at sunrise! Not the hotel's fault.

The location is good, but not ideal, being about a 5-7 minute walk from Old Town. That said, the room rate was good value for money (€80), though I guess that is my employer's contract rate, not rack rate. Shirts are Lats 4.50 (about €6.40), but laundry is not same-day service according to the form, but next day by 1000 hours, so read the fine print on the form. There is an in-room safe, also a mini-bar with space for your own "stuff". The desk has plenty of power points built into it, nice touch.

The Internet is included in the room rate and was of decent speed and good reliability, but be advised, the hotel FILTERS your activity and BLOCKS certain sites. This is NOT Latvian government policy and for that reason alone I will not come back and not recommend.

My room was very efficiently put together, a blessing given its small size (about 22 m2). Sadly, the TV selections are poor, and few (does not include BBCW, for example). I know many folks like "liquid soap", but I do not. The bathroom offered no bar soap, no little bottle of shampoo, just a push-type, wall-mounted liquid soap dispenser -- and not even a wash cloth to make its use easier. Thank heavens I had packed some "just in case".

The breakfast buffet was OK but hardly anything to rave about. If you want your bacon crisp, you'll have to send it back to the kitchen and it takes five minutes to reappear. However, the dinner menu was imaginative and brilliant -- the chef is an award winner and it shows. Prices were very, very reasonable for the value offered and I'd recommend it even if you are staying elsewhere. The service was attentive but not intrusive.

For smokers, there is a cigar bar in the lobby.

Room Tip: Away from the lift lobby.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2013

BEST breakfast buffet ever!

Very nice decor everywhere, i.e. rooms, restaurant, bar, coffee shop, wellness centre, etc.

Well situated to walk to old town, the market, the cancel and really anywhere in central Riga.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

I spent 3 nights in this hotel. It was my first time in Riga so I can't benchmark this hotel against other hotels in the same city. If I rate it based on my travelling experience I would say average ( just) .
The hotel is located within walking distance ( 15 min ) from the old town (the main touristic attraction). The hotel looks quite new. The lobby and the overall decorations try to impress the guests with a kind of sophisticated look but they only partially meet the expectations.

However this is a budget hotel and for 50 euro a night the owner managed to do pretty well with the hotel overall quality, cleaning and service.

What I didn't like was the room size, very small and the room noise ( I was near the main water/air con pipe, giving an annoying background noise in the night) . Also worth to mention the very poor food quality and variety during lunch and dinner ( I was there for a company event) at the main restaurant . The breakfast though was ok.

Another annoying thing was the some room amenities (i.e slippers, bathrobe..) were not free and you have to pay for it. The only complementary stuff were toilette paper, towels, shampoo and bath gel. I found it quite weird.

If you have a tight budget I would recommend you to stay here ( bring your slippers though ..) otherwise look for a better place ( few hundred meters away from this hotel there is a Radisson Blue.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LucaFeb
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This hotel is very close to a busy road where you can get buses going everywhere in Riga and its airport. It is also close to Old Town and most attractions.
The reception lobby really impresses on arrival. The red glass chandelier are stunning and the decor gives a very modern touch everywhere. The building is fairly new and the acoustic insulation really works (couldn't hear a thing from the street). The highlight of my stay was definitely the breakfast, seriously...everything tasted so nice! The room was very small and that was the only minor point, still great for the price they charge you. Reception staff could be a little bit friendlier especially when we were checking out. Overall it a fantastic stay, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Tallink_Hotel_Riga, Front Office Manager at Tallink Hotel Riga, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank You for posting this wonderful review on Tripadvisor! I'am thrilled to read that You enjoyed stay in our hotel!
Thank for for compliments on our breakfast, decor and acoustic insulation. We have excellent acoustic insulation ,therefore each guest can choose street view not being afraid that street noise will be disturbing.
I hope that other travellers will find Your review helpful. Looking forward to welcome You back in Tallink Hotel Riga in the near future.

Kind regards,
Anastasija Muzira
Front Office Manager
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel was very clean, service was professional and excellent breakfast. Standard room could be a bit bigger but design was nice. The only problem was that we parked just next to the hotel and our car side mirrors were stolen. So be aware. Not really safe city!

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank K A
Tallink_Hotel_Riga, Front Office Manager at Tallink Hotel Riga, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I'am really sorry for unpleasant accident that You've experienced in Riga!
We offer underground parking for our guests with direct access to hotel premises. Rate is 10 EUR per night. However, amount of places is limited, so I advice to make booking before arrival.
Please contact us regarding parking if You decide to return to Riga!

Kind regards,