“Good for lunch”

Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Latvian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: PROVINCE is a nice place, where to get to know the traditional Latvian cuisine.
Oslo
“Good for lunch”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Good food, reasonably priced. Central near Kunga iela. Free WIFI.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Steian

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Riga
“FOOD POISONING!!!”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Was here another time then it was oke, but last week I was here with 2 friends and we all got food poisoning from the beef stroganoff. I've been sick for a week! The food is not so much for what you pay for. " vegetable salad as side dish" was 2 pieces of paprika and some tomato extra (cause the 2 lettuce leaves and 2 carrot curls were garnish). baed potato extra was 3 (half parts) baked potato...disappointing! Also a glass of wine wasn't even a half glass.
Don't want to go here again after this experience!

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank MariaminRiga
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent food”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Food quality was first class, well prepared and beautifully presented. Service, which we found to be a variable in Riga was excellent and attentive without being intrusive. Really to be recommended.

• Visited February 2012
The Netherlands
“Nice local restaurant, local cuisine, very good service, food tastes very nice.”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Recommended. It is only a small restaurant with a few tables, but the atmosphere is nice. Staff comes and take order right away, food arrives soon and waitress takes a away plates on time. Good local Latvian food, simple but nice. Portions for the recommended 5 latvian menu are small but nice.

Hawarden, Wales, United Kingdom
“Province: At first glance, seemed nice. Look again, you'll be a mess.”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Situated right next to the House of the Blackheads, amongst a number of other small Latvian restaurants, Province appears to be a quaint little restaurant with a lot of Latvian tradition. Me and my friends, a group of five 20 year olds on a cultural week away, decided to go to Province based on reviews and advise found on trip advisor.
Walking in, we discovered a small restaurant with few tables, however busy for its size. We were able get one of the last tables, straight away without booking. We were given menus immediatley, however it took a fair while until the waitor came over to take any sort of order. Firstly we ordered our drinks, and again the waitor took quite a while to come back and take our food orders. Again more waiting incurred, with almost half a litre of beer drank before any food was served. Despite the wait, our meals came and everybody seemed pleasantly surprised at the Latvian cuisine. Unfortunately, we all had a portion of dumplings, and every one of us thought that they were to a very poor standard, and they have put me off eating them ever again.
Personally I felt that the waiting on staff, with the reasonable standard of English, we're quite rude, however I have found that most Latvian people don't have the words 'please', 'thankyou' or 'excuse me' in there vocabulary, so on the whole, I guess they may not have been being rude in their own culture.
After, a fair few courses each, accompanied with Latvian beer and other popular soft drinks, we left the restaurant feeling satisfied, but no more. After not leaving much of an imprint on our memories, this was a restaurant that could easily have been forgotten, but wrong we were. Back at our hotel, a five minute walk away, we began to settle down in our room as we had a busy next day. Expecting to have a quiet evening, [--] literally began to hit the fan, excuse the poor choice of language.
Three of the five of us began to start feeling quite poorly, and bodily fluids began an attack on our bathroom. One of the lads was over the toilet for a solid four hours, and then another from our group followed suit. We then had a call from our friends in the other room, informing us that one of them had started a vomcano and diarrhoea desert. As horrible as this sounds, unfortunately for all three, it continued throughout the whole night and has carried on throughout the day. It is currently almost 5 o'clock in the evening and as I write this, one of my friends is still hovering over the toilet bowl, the other two in bed.
To top it off, today is our second to last day, as well as one of the groups 20th birthday (she luckily isn't ill). We had planned to go to a number of tourism 'hotspots' today, but we only did this as a segregated group as the other three were unable to drag themselves out of bed. This evening we planned to go out for a meal and then follow by a night out in one of the local bars or clubs which had been recommended to us, so that we could celebrate with the birthday girl in style.
Quite frankly, all of our plans for today have been ruined, with half the group being bed and toilet ridden all day, and it seems as though there isn't any improvement on the horizon, effectively ruining our holiday.
Despite provinces original appearance and authentic menu, myself and friends would strongly advise anybody to avoid this place. Looking at the rest of the reviews, it seems like a successful business, but our experience seems to be the complete opposite.
If you have ever had food poisoning and want to experience the gruelling few days of the horrible illness again, I would strongly recommend going to this restaurant, as all of us had different meals, all with different meats, fish, and other ingredients, so clearly not just one bad batch. However if you are a sensible person, who wants to stay well through your visit to Riga and want to be able to do all of your planned activities, please stay well clear, and I'm sure you will have a great time.
I do realise that this is a very long review and I am sorry for keeping you, however both my friends and I feel it nesecary to warn you of what could happen if you eat here.
Thanks.