“Worth a detour!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Oslo, Norway
“Worth a detour!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I've had this restaurant on my list of places to visit for a while, but as I live in walking distance to most good restaurants, others have been chosen instead. When we finally went there Maja did not disappoint.

We went for a early dinner, so we had the place almost for ourselves. The interior is very cosy, I like the feeling of sitting in an old living room with a long history. The service was very pleasant, in Riga, there is certainly no inflation of smiling waitstaff. Our waitress was very helpful and welcoming. The menu consisted mainly of interesting twists of traditional Latvian ingredients. I had pork belly with grey peas and onion puree, and it was delicious. My girlfriend had a steak with chanterelles and sauteed beetroots. The steak was tender and juicy, and the beetroots were surprisingly good!

We did not have time for a dessert this time, but promised to come back for a full evening. If going for lunch I would recommended to combine the lunch with visiting the pleasant Kalnciema Saturday market just outside the restaurant.

• Visited October 2013

Riga, Latvia
“Excellent value business lunch for 5 lats”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The business lunch is an excellent value for 5 lats. Usually it is non vegetarian but sometimes it is vegetarian. I went when it was vegetarian and was pleased with it.

I returned with a friend for dinner. The pumpkin soup was ok and my cauliflower dish with spinach was also ok. My friend liked his meat dish. The bread was delicious. For dinner I recommend it primarily for people who eat meat. For vegetarian food, it is a bit expensive and just ok tasting,

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank sigulda158
“Simple good”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Tasty food, good service,interior and atmosphere-nothing special. Prices can be a bit lower.
Interesting dishes.

• Visited August 2013
Espoo, Finland
“Good and healthy business lunch”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Very simple and healthy business lunch including tomato-mozzarella salad and eggplant filled with minced meat, bread and water included in price. Inexpensive but delicious. The only thing I did not like is that they do not have salt and pepper on the table and they are not offering it either (maybe because they can be considered unhealthy).

Visited August 2013
Bad Hersfeld
“Great place, great foot, great service”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We visited here this morning, closing our three-day visit in Riga with a nice brunch ... while the courses sounded relatively "normal" and not nearly as extraordinary as last night's dinner at Vincents, all the components tasted very good. From cheese and meat, the "ornamental" plums and tomatoes, all the jams and marmelades, ... everything was very tasty and fresh ... combined with the very nice service by the waiters, some background infos about the history of the house and its former inhabitants just added to the ambience ... the only downside was the weather, which kept us from enjoying our meal outside ...

• Visited August 2013