“Excellent choice for a base”

RigaApartment Gertruda Serviced Apartments
Ranked #5 of 144 Speciality Lodging in Riga
London
“Excellent choice for a base”
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 days as a group of 4 in two separate apartments. Found it to be a clean, comfortable homely place to sleep and relax whilst not out and about. The facilities provided meant we could go down to the local Rimi Supermarket to get stuff to cook for breakfast, a lounge area to relax an chill.

The staff were all excellent, always so willing to help, provide assistance and give advice on places to go to go and how to get there.

The location is a good 10 minutes walk to Old Town. You can walk or try the buses or tram. Taxis on seeing we were foreign often refused to use their meter and charged us 5 lats.

Overall, a good place to stay and I have no problems recommending it

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

we were stayed in apartment number 2 in march 2013. It was still winter outside. And for us, who live in a sunny country, weather was too cold! But when we arrived to apartment we were surprised, because there is fireplace, not real - electronic, but anyway . Atmosphere was super romantic.. snow outside.. we have fire, drinking hot wine (which is very popular in Latvia). It's wonderful flat for two couples. Two big bedrooms and one living room with big tv and comfortable lounge zona. Kitchen is big, you can cook everything without problem!Nice and polite stuff. We really can advice to other people this place for stay!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Koterina
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Having never spent time in Latvia before, I didn't know what to expect in terms of accommodations. But our stay at RigaApartment has spoiled us, certainly! For very reasonable rates, my family (6 people in total) stayed in a massive 3-bedroom suite, complete with living room, enormous kitchen, and 1.5 bathrooms.

The place itself is about a 20 minute stroll from the Old City, and far enough away from the bustle of shops in that area to make for quiet, peaceful evenings. The apartments are clean, well-stocked (the kitchen had cooking implements and plentiful glassware) and -- I can't stress enough -- simply enormous.

You're also only about 15 minutes from the train station, so if you're planning on taking a day-trip to Jurmala or Cesis (both well worth your time!), it's easily accessible.

Downstairs and just outside the apartments is a mini Lido restaurant, which provided delicious, hearty food when we were in a hurry.

The living room of our apartment had very comfortable couches and easy chairs, good lighting, a slightly-old but functional LCD-TV (no HDMI access on ours, though, disappointingly) and very fast wireless internet (reachable throughout the apartment).

Just down the street from the apartments is a large grocery store, so we were able to stock up and eat breakfast at home every morning before venturing into the city.

I really can't recommend this place enough. Great prices for very spacious, comfortable rooms, in a great location. Next time we're in Riga, we'll most definitely be back.

Room Tip: There are quite a few floors and only a small elevator -- if you're uncomfortable with climbing...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel S
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had apartment #1 for 6 of us (3 adults and 3 kids). HUGE! Very comfortable living space; good sized kitchen that is fully equipped (incl. dishwasher); washing machine; 3 bedrooms (one that is enormous and contains 5 single beds comfortably). Two bathrooms. Staff were helpful and the reception desk always seemed to be manned. We stayed for 8 nights and it felt like home. Good location - not too far to walk to the old town. Good location for tram routes - we went both into the old town via tram but also out to the zoo (mezaparks), without difficulty. Very close (1.5 block) to a well-stocked grocery store. Only warning is noise - not due to other tenants, but our bedrooms were directly over the street, just one floor up. Not a problem for us, but typical city street sounds will be heard on and off during night/early morning (including a bit of party music on Friday and Saturday nights).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ddme
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed in three different apartments during our 9 days in Latvia - apartment 7B (floor 6), apartment 9B (floor 1), and apartment 2 (floor 2). We were in and out of Riga, and the hotel was very flexible with our check-in/check-out needs and accommodating our travel plans throughout the week. All of the apartments were spacious, nicely furnished, clean, comfortable, and surprisingly quiet for a busy city. We loved 7B and the skylight windows. The receptionists were incredibly helpful and friendly. Many restaurants and shops within walking distance. The main park (also within walking distance) has a large playground for kids, charming cafes, and lively weekend festivals. Beautiful city and we highly recommend this apartment! We could happily spend a month here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jmida
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My wife and I were required to stay in Riga from Feb 28 - March 16, 2013. This was in compliance of the Hague Convention protocol to adopt a child in Latvia. Our new daughter, Ilana lived with us there while we were visited by various officials overseeing the adoption process.

We found the Riga Apartments from those suggested by the adoption agency. It turned out to be an excellent choice. The rooms are spacious and clean. It was unseasonably cold in Riga so we appreciated that this location was close enough to restaurants, markets and stores.

The concierge staff was friendly and very helpful. They all spoke English well, most being upper level college students or recently graduated. They made several well serving suggestions of nice things to do in Riga which was a big help. The cleaning staff was quite efficient and when we needed supplies, things were taken care of in good fashion.

There was enough of a kitchen to allow us to cook in and we had a clothes washer. There is no dryer but rather a large drying rack was provided. The sofas in Apartment 4 double as beds to accommodate larger parties. The TV works but English stations are not the best unless you like sports. One station: "Encore" had great concert music. Bring your laptop - there is WiFi. Beds are low to the floor but comfortable.

I don't recommend their offer to arrange airport transport. It is ten times what a taxi costs. Otherwise, this is a great place to stay in Riga since the location is good, the accommodations clean, attractive and dependable and the price is moderate (around $70.00 US per day).

Paul D'Angelo (with Elaine and Ilana)

Room Tip: We liked apartment #4. I'm sure they are all commensurate - there is an elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Elaine D
Tilburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed in one of the apartments in this building during December 2012, a time when Riga is at its most beautiful covered in fresh, white snow. Our original booking had been for 7 days and I had made a deposit of 40% via my family's credit card.Three weeks before our arrival however, my flight to Riga had been cancelled with no blame on my part and we were forced to come two days later than originally planned. To ensure that I wouldn't be confronted with hidden costs and other problems during our stay in this apartment, I immediately e-mailed the booking coordinator, a Ms. Jelena Baranova, about the change in my schedule. She expressly told me that everything would be fine and that us arriving two days later than originally planned would be no problem and everything would be okay. Eventually we arrived and went into our room straight away due to obscurity about where the reception was. A maid was just cleaning up the apartment as we arrived fuelling my theory that people had been sleeping there the day prior. After having funneled us towards reception, she spoke with the receptionist and he welcomed us at the hotel, only to tell me that our room would only be ready in half an hour. After half an hour of drinking coffee, he confronted me with the total bill including the two previous days during which we had not stayed there. I, of course objected and showed them my received e-mails and did not give any sort of authorisation for payment. After a big fuss he ushered us to our room and told us to wait there and that Ms. Baranova would be coming up in half an hour to talk to me about this problem. We waited inside the apartment (which was stunning and great value for money actually) all afternoon and night but no one came. Five days went past without any contact with hotel staff whatsoever and on the morning of our checking-out I was handed a credit-card receipt stating that the FULL bill had already been taken off of my family's credit-card (remember; without any sort of authorisation! I was planning on paying the rest myself). I was perplexed and stupefied and after another angry rant the fact that my plane was leaving soon demanded I left. Afterwards, repeated e-mails/calls from myself and my booking agency (Booking.com) to the hotel produced no result.

The irony here is that, if not for this very simple misunderstanding on their part (when you tell someone everything will be okay you implicitly don't set them up for hidden costs), I would be advertising the absolute hell out of this accommodation due to its giant rooms, warmth, amenities and overall cost/quality correlation.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joseph O
Zanneta B, General Manager at RigaApartment Gertruda Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Joseph, its a pity you are not satisfied with your stay in our place. But i should say that as you have booked our apartment through Booking.com we could not change the payment policy and give you back the money for days you were not here as the price policy at your reservation with we received from Booking.com have stated that you cant change the date and cant have any refund. Further more - before your arrival we have charged 20% precent (not 40%) from your card as was stated in rules of you reservation from Booking.com. I am also very sad to hear complaints from you part about waiting for your check-in- as you have arrived an hour earlier that standard check-in is taking place. I understand that in the moment you arrived everything seemed to be not the right way for you, and feel sad about it, as most of our customers are very satisfied with our accommodations. But I do respect you opinion. Thank you for giving 5 out of 5 for rooms and cleanliness. Zannet Baumane. General Manager