“a home from home”

Rixwell Hotel Konventa Seta
Ranked #34 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, to the extent of making me wonder why I'd generally only chosen five star hotels in the past. My ground floor room was spacious and clean. Fairly simply decorated but all the details were present and correct. I could smoke in it (don't worry, such rooms are the exception) there was a nice, big desk in front of a nice, big window. Plenty of sockets. All the light fittings worked. There was always good pressure and hot water in the shower. The wi-fi was completely free. In other words, everything I want in a hotel room, stuff better than in some other hotel rooms costing eight times as much.
The bar / lounge is very pleasantly decorated and comfortable and relaxing with friendly service. The restaurant menu is available here or in the restaurant proper, which is divided into four or five, domestic-size spaces. With each to a different theme, I found myself breakfasting in the kitchen, dining in the formal dining room and taking supper in the library. I really enjoyed the food.
The hotel architecture has wonderful character inside and out, being set in an old convent, right in the heart of the the most beautiful part of town. A short stroll through twisty, cobbled lanes has one at the opera house in one direction and via arched passageways and little squares to the St.Peter's church and beyond in the other.
It's not the sort of grand hotel one goes to as a destination or experience in its own right. Yet in its own, modest way, it achieved something more significant: a real sense of not really having to think about it and so allowing one to be at home, abroad. Which is pretty much perfect in my book.

Room Tip: I stayed in room number four.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank solidred

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I have stayed there only for one night and was really shocked! Of course first of all, I should say that for one night stay I was charged only 47 eur (breakfast excluded). The location is excellent as leaving the hotel you will find yourself in the heart of the old city. I asked for the breakfast and paid 5 eur additional and the breakfast was OK for the amount paid. Now about the room. I was given the room in the building 4 on the second floor. The light was only on the first floor that is why I needed to use my mobile to light my way and to be able to open the door. The room was really cold as the heating was switched off, so I turned on the heating and in 3 h the room was warm. The worst suprise was that fact that the water in the shower was cool, I guess about 15 degrees and it was impossible to change the temperature! Awful! The walls were dirty and looked awful! The furniture was awful - old and dirty! Definitely I would not recommend this hotel! It is better to be charged more in another hotel then to stay here even for 1 night!

Room Tip: Do not accept to be located in building 4!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Murinda M
Reviewed 23 November 2012

My wife stayed here for a couple of days having been in a Radisson Blu also in Riga for a Conference. We decided we would like to get a feel for something more local and less cosmopolitan. We were not disappointed. The staff were most helpful, the room was a spacious junior suite and the only criticism was a slightly hard mattress. The locatiuon is in the heart of the old city and is perfect for sightseeing and access to the wonderful buildings, museums, cafes and restaurants Riga has to offer. We would go again.

Room Tip: A junior suite is recommended - we saw a twin room and it was small and pokey.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Just back from Riga and our stay at the Konventa Seta Hotel. Like others have said, location is perfect for tourists. We stayed in room 129, which is a junior suite that faces a portion of the courtyard, but mainly another building. The dimly lit room is quite large with a dated sofa suite and large, slightly hard bed. The bathroom is not large, but modernly tiled with a shower cabinet. The narrow shower would have been better if it had a shelf for shampoo (shower gel container is attached to the wall) and didn't have a large handle that constricted movement. A hairdryer is included and works well. The room unfortunately doesn't offer a mini fridge or coffee/tea facilities. Weather was turning colder while we were there, but the room was well warm enough. The first night we were kept awake by other guests, especially the young men next door who were talking loudly with their door open and the man who kept knocking on our door looking for 'Dennis.' The walls are thin. It became quieter after the weekend.
The front desk staff are friendly and helpful and the maids did a good job every day. Breakfast buffet was fine, but awkwardly presented in the hallway of the restaurant next door.

2  Thank Ontheroad5056
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We have just arrived home after a 3-night stay at Konventa Seta.
It's a beautiful old hotel, consisting of several buildings in the heart of old Riga.
The Convent yard itself is a place were you really can feel the history in the walls. The buildings have been very tastefully renovated.
The location is perfect - you have all the attraction of old Riga just a few minutes away.

Our room was quite normal for a three star hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was average.

Since Riga is popular among tourists also at night time it was not good to have a room facing the street .. We lived on the first floor, and the noice from the street was very loud - you could hear people talking, laughing, screaming and cars driving by. Ear plugs are recommended, but otherwise I would definitely come back to this hotel!

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs in case you get a room facing the street!
1  Thank yvren
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a four day city break in Riga staying at the Konventa Seta Hotel.
The hotel was booked on the internet through “Booking.com”.
The hotel is a converted convent right in the centre of the old town which is ideal as all the sights are within easy walking distance.
The taxi transfer from the airport was arranged by the hotel reception and although our flight arrived early the driver was waiting there with a board with our name on.
On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the very friendly receptionist and given our room keys.
The hotel being a converted convent in a World Heritage site was very unusual in layout but lovely, although I think people with mobility problems would find it difficult to get around (but they would on the Riga cobbles anyway).
We had booked a Junior Suite which was a massive room containing two single beds, a desk and chair, two wardrobes, a setee & two chairs, a large table, and an on suite bathroom containing a shower, washbasin and toilet.
The room was on the first floor was well heated and overlooked the pedestrianised quadrangle which was very quiet.
Everywhere in the hotel was spotlessly clean and our towels were changed every day.
Breakfast was buffet style and was served from 07-00 to 10-00 in the restaurant which consisted of four rooms of a corridor each containing four four seater tables. The range of food was good and was regularly replenished.
I would highly recommend this hotel

3  Thank HonestjohnDerbyshire
Reviewed 8 October 2012

stayed two nights in different house. Hotel have several houses in the same block. (very close)
One room good, on the other: TV did not work, no light beside one bed (bulb broken), no ventilation in the bathroom ond we had to call for help for opening the door (batteries gone). Help come at onec!
Lokation: Exelent. Good breakfast. Bed very confy. Ill come back!

Room Tip: Dont take any room facing the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family