“Nice, clean and cosy place at great location”

Konventa Seta Hotel
Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Moscow, Russia
“Nice, clean and cosy place at great location”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Spent two nights there - very nice place, clean, the room is big and they have a kitchenette with hotplates, small fridge and sink. Great location in the very center of the Old City, a place of interest in itself. Also it is just in 10-minutes walk from both bus and railway stations. Good and generous breakfast with a variety of food, the staff is helping and friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lillamy78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Having reserved a parking spot in the hotel, upon arrival to the parking lot in the center, we are told by a parking attendant hardly out of puberty that there are no free spaces and "who told you there would be?" After being asked to contact the hotel, he unapologetically informs us to proceed to the hotel itself where a parking spot would be located for us. Poor service continues throughout our stay, especially in the restaurant, where staff is almost impossible to find and only brings you a menu when prompted numerous times. Rooms are spartan, almost dorm-like, with very cheap and cramped bathrooms. On the other hand, ceilings are high along with large, light-filled windows. Location is obviously amazing, right in the very center of Riga, but, with so many decent alternatives - why would you come here?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Rioseco, Spain
Reviewed 30 July 2014

In the heart of Riga's Old Town whithin walking distance to both train and bus stations. Room was simple, clean and spacious, room also had a kichenette. Breakfast was really good with plenty of choices....and the price was unbeatable. I will definitely recomend this hotel to anyone visiting this beautiful city.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I travelled to Riga, Latvia with a group of 71 for the World Choir Games 2014. We had children and adults of all ages within our party and we were all very well accommodated. We couldn't have wished for a better location being right in the heart of the old town with its cobbled streets and interesting buildings with wonderful architecture. Restaurants were plentiful with something to suit everyone and there were shopping malls which were 'hidden' as not to spoil the old town's character. Public transport in the area is good and relatively cheap compared to UK.

The rooms were clean and spacious, slightly dated but I was very happy with the standard of the room I had which was in 'building 2' and overlooked the outside terrace restaurant (I did have to climb the stairs as there was no lift which wasn't a problem for me but something to consider if you have mobility problems. Building 1 had a lift so there would be no problem there). Twice I found the downstairs door doubled locked meaning that it had to be opened with a key to leave the building, not really a problem as I had a key to open it however in an emergency this could have been dangerous as anyone could have left their key in a panic.

Staying in Riga during an international choral competition with 27,000 singers participating is always going to be noisy but this was in a good way with groups enjoying impromptu singing in the streets and bars. There was also the occasional noise from revellers but this did not prevent me from sleeping. I have heard that Riga was a destination for stag and hen parties and I could feel that some locals may have been wary of us being from the UK. I witnessed one stag group and one hen party on the Saturday evening only. Amongst so many visitors for the World Choir Games who booked up most of the hotels in the area, they certainly stood out but we didn't see them for long. There were also some football fans from the UK around but Riga is a city and compared to most cities I think it was very quiet.

Riga is certainly worth a visit, it's a beautiful and very interesting city with museums, good restaurants and a lovely beach only 30 minutes away. The Konventa Seta is a wonderful hotel in which to stay. Nothing was too much trouble for Ruta on the reception and she helped us in any way she could. The breakfast was plentiful with a good choice. I loved it and will certainly be visiting again.

Room Tip: The rooms towards the back of Building 1 (I was told by members of our party) were very quiet. Buil...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went to Riga as it was the Capital City of culture for 2014.

We stayed at the Konventa Seta and found everything easy. Check in was without problems and the room was in the first building not far from the lift.

Whilst the room could be described as spartan, I don't really know what more you could want. There was a tv, comfy beds, furniture and fully opening windows (unlike most British hotels).

We had some transport problems whilst we were in Riga, and when we spoke to the hotel reception, they were more than helpful and organised alternative transport for us.

The breakfast was nice, lots of choice and something for everyone. Admittedly, with large groups staying at the hotel, it sometimes become a crush in the morning, but it was lovely eating breakfast outside in the courtyard in the shadow of the church spire, and a busker playing the guitar came and serenaded us every morning.

The location is fantastic, right in the middle of the city and easy walking distance for practically everything. However, opposite the hotel (building 1) there is a night club which does become rowdy at night and sometimes it's necessary to close the windows. (It was embarrassing as all of the people being loud and disorderly were British).

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was lovely. It has a great location and is in a wonderful surroundings. Everything worked in the room and the hotel. It was unfortunate about the British drunks outside the room but the Hotel can't control that. (Maybe put air con in the rooms facing onto the main street so you can close the windows). I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit this beautiful city.

Room Tip: Whilst building 2 has no lift, I think it would be better as it doesn't face onto the main stree...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
cardiff
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here in July with a Children's choir party of 70 people attending the World Choir Games. There were three of us sharing a very spacious suite: twin bedroom, living room with sofa bed, kitchenette and bathroom. There was some delay checking us in, and an initial problem with the sofa bed, but once reported to reception, this was all sorted before bedtime. The suite was clean and perfectly comfortable. Breakfast was generally plentiful, with lots of choice, although at times the dining room was very busy, with several large tour parties as well as ourselves. The weather was good, however, so it was pleasant to have breakfast outside in the terrace/bar area.
The location could not have been better: right in the heart of the old town, with many restaurants, bars and things to see within a short walking distance. There was little traffic, and the area felt quite safe, although I believe things got much livelier after dark! I understand Ruta (?) from the hotel was particularly helpful to our group. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a short break to Riga.

Room Tip: The rooms in Building 2 seemed larger. Ours was a large corner suite, with windows on 2 sides.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Tokyo
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I must confess that I have never quite figured out the star system for hotels. According to the hotel's own website, Konventa Seta offers three-star 'Superior' accommodation. Three stars?? Incomprehensible to me. I have stayed in all kinds of places around the world and I can tell you that in terms of comfort, this hotel provides quality of room and service far exceeding its official designation. What more can you ask for? Four-plus star facilities at three-star prices!

My suite (a junior) boasts polished hardwood floors and a ceiling at least 3.5 meters in height (almost 11 feet). The furniture includes a three piece sofa and armchair set, a nice office desk and chair in addition to a (comfortable) bed. This is a room that one can breathe easily and freely in. It's a room that one can relax in. No sense of being cramped or confined.

The Konventa Seta complex is a tourist attraction in its own right (more on that later). In Spain, it would have been turned into a Parador. But not everything is medieval thankfully (think medieval hygiene and I think you'll be persuaded to agree). The stone building I am staying in is of 19th century construction and the hardwood floors speak of the kind of careful, quality craftsmanship that is all too difficult to find nowadays. The plumbing and double glazed windows are all modern, installed in the past 15 years. In my opinion, this combination of old and new at Konventa Seta offers a lot more comfort that the glass and steel recent-generation hotels with their small, cramped rooms, cheap fittings and worn, stained carpets.

Have I mentioned the views yet? My suite boasts 4 windows, two on each of two sides of the rectangular room. Each window offers a different stupendous view (which I suppose I shall have to upload because it is easier to show than tell).

A strong element in the hotel's offering is the breakfast. I am not sure that Latvian cuisine differs significantly from that available elsewhere in the other countries bordering the Baltic. Prepare for lots of herring, beets, potato salad and coleslaw along with rich cream. In any event, it is a help-yourself buffet of good quality healthful foods. Personally, my biggest issue after breakfast is finding any appetite for lunch. A four-star breakfast plus by any measure.

Now, I do try to be fair and balanced in my reviews. Konventa Seta is an excellent hotel; everything works as it should (internet, electricity, plumbing etc) with a great location in the place tourists want to be - the old part of the city - but the hotel does have a few shortcomings. Other reviews note that the service is not always as smooth and professional as encountered in other (Western) countries. I cannot disagree with that assessment but I would note that service tends to be 'rough around the edges' in many locally-owned hotels in the post-Soviet regions (Ukraine, Georgia, Poland, Kazakhstan). However, in my dealings with the management and staff at Konventa Seta, I have found that they can hold a calm discussion of issues troubling guests, that they are aware that the service levels could be smoother and most importantly that they are willing to learn and try harder. What more can a reasonable person ask for? You won't find such an open and positive attitude in many post-Soviet hotels.

Finally, I should again note that the Konventa Seta complex is a tourist attraction in its own right. The premises are closed to the public after 10 in the evening but during the day you will often have tour groups milling about in the courtyard gawping at the buildings - and maybe at your rooms. Don't worry, it's nothing personal. Still, it is a little odd being a tourist staying in a major tourist attraction.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo