“i was supraised. it was very good hotel”
Review of Viktorija Hotel

Viktorija Hotel
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Riga
estonia
“i was supraised. it was very good hotel”
Reviewed 11 August 2009

the staff was very friendly.
the room was very clean.
the location was great.
and the bed was very beautiful:)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Signe S
irinak360, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Viktorija Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2015
Hello Dear Guest!
Thanks for Your review!
You always welcome in our hotel!
With best wishes, Irina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 3 September 2007

This was the 3rd time I have stayed here... The hotel had at least that time still "not renovated" side which I found very nice (shared toilets/bathrooms, but no queuing ;)).. ... still the old ceiling lights etc. Art Nouveau style.. Very nice, I think I´ll always stay here when I´m in town. The hotel is 3 star place so you can get better equipped rooms if paying a bit more...

• Liked — Location is good
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Nipsan
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 July 2007

I arrived on a warm Sunday afternoon and I just wanted to take a shower. Walked from the chaotic, crowded bus station to the Viktorija. I had no reservation. They gave me a nice room on the 5th floor. It was a warm peach color that added coziness to the two rainy days (I stayed 4 nights)....a nice change from the plague of beige and dirt tones of McHotels...and it had a nice pre-World War view of A. Caka Street with ever-changing rain clouds and sunsets. It had cable TV if that is what you came to Latvia for and the bathroom was shiny clean.
The breakfasts offered quite a variety of foods and I appreciated the cut fruits, cucumbers, tomatoes, red pepper.
The staff was very attentive and pleasant. The young staffmembers were very helpful, friendly and provided a much more hospitable face of Latvia than some of the older Soviet era staffmembers. This seems to be true throughout Riga. You will find very sweet, ready to talk Latvian speakers and a few extremely rude and miserable Russian speakers who should not be allowed near the public. The latter do damage to the Latvian tourist industry. This said, I could live in Riga, a city for creative people.
The Hotel Viktorija has its own personality and may not be for those who prefer a generic chain-hotel predictability. The STABURAGS restaurant in the corner of the hotel is a Riga treat. The smoked salmon was the best that I have ever tasted. The maizes zupa dessert was delicious and so was the Lido beer. A block away at 38a Gertrudes Street is PAsaka, a pleasant little Latvian fastfood pelmeni shop run by merry and motherly women. An inexpensive, but throughly Latvian experience.
The Viktorija is an example of living Art Nouveau architecture and it is in a good location. It provided good memories of Riga and I will probably stay there the next time I go to Riga.

• Liked — It gives you a chance to experience Riga's Art Nouveau architectural heritage.
  • Disliked — The lack of a greenspace or patio that could be created off the lobby behind the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jamiejet
Ireland
Reviewed 14 May 2007

I actually stayed in the adjoinging Victory Hostel whcih shares a common entrance and restaurant as the Viktorija Hotel. Therefore I cannot comment on the hotels' rooms. However, I did politely ask to use the hotel Internet booth in the lobby one evening and received a torrent of abuse that I have not received in any other country ( have visited over 30). One guy behind the reception desk said it was fine to use it and gave me the key but then an older woman, also behind reception began screaming and bawling at me about not beng a proper guest. Then another of the hotel workers, a man in a green coat arrived on the scene and also shouted and bawled abusively at me while waving his hands at me to get out. It was just horrible. I was so upset to have been treated like this. I wasn't aware that the hostel and hotel were separate because we were using the same entrance. But surely even if I was not entitaled to use the Internet, there are ways and means of telling people so.

Stayed May 2007
With best wishes, Irina

Travellers are raving about these Riga hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 November 2005

there were five of us in our party, 3 adults and 2 children. getting a red taxi from airport was easy, 15min drive, 7Lats, but beware being ripped off as we did on way back to airport, taxi drivers meter broke suddenly and he tried to charge us 14 Lats, we got away with 12 Lats but u should pay no more than 10, ask price first.
we managed to get a twin and a triple room. rooms are quite spacious, beds were comfy but in our triple room there was no carpet. we stayed in the bit they are renovating at present so we had no private bathroom facilities. this wasnt a problem as there were shared facilities on the floor. i dont think hotel was full as we had no queueing for loo or shower and they were clean enough. there is a cafe on 2nd floor thats open til 6pm. it serves breakfast, tea/coffee,snacks. breakfast was continental style and i think they like porridge as that was available also. it costs 3 Lats for a full breakfast but u can pay for individual items.
the staff were friendly enough and most can speak good english.
hotel is in a good location and you get what u pay for.
the centre of riga is about 15mins walk but buses go past every few mins. good shopping centre and a visit to market behind 'stockmann' is a must as is seeing the guards that march up and down in front of the freedom monument while being watched by a very picky sergeant.
one of the kids ended up with viral foodpoisoning and we had to call doc out. ended up spending a night in rigas childrens hospital. staff were very efficient but hospital was in need of repair.
my partner got accused of kidnapping my son and both were harassed by 2 drunken russian men, so just beware!!
riga is worth a visit for cheap beer, cigs, mcD's and the few monuments and churches but i wouldnt recommend for children as theres not much for them to do.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2005

I stayed at the Hotel Viktorija for two nights in November and had a mixed experience. I was travelling alone so was allocated a single room and it really is a single room. A single bed that was a little on the short side for me (I am 1m 85cm) and that dull brown decor and low lighting that made me feel that I had slipped into a sepia photograph. Everything worked fine - shower, TV, lights etc. The room overlooked a main street (Caka Street) but I loved this - I live in a small village and it was great to feel part of a big city for a while. It is very possibly the oddest hotel I've ever stayed at - right outside my room was a corridor with a waiting room area lined with cinema-seat like chairs and all along the corridor was a variety of businesses - lawyers, beauticians, doctors, hairdressers etc. The hotel obviously rented out some space to help pay its way.

The following night I paid the extra 15 Lati (£15) to get a double room and this was better. A much bigger shower, what I thought was a double bed (but was actually two singles pushed together) and a bigger room generally. Interestingly, I could receive fewer TV channels than in the single room. As my flight was leaving in the evening at 11pm and checkout was 2pm I paid extra to be able to use the room until I was ready to leave for the airport. This cost me 35 Lati (£35) which is on the very steep side as I had paid 48 Lati for the two nights.

The restaurant/cafe was OK (and was down the business corridor) and the food was neither good nor bad. I filled up on the first morning with cereals, hot eggs and sausages, bread and coffee. I stuck to coffee on the second morning.

The staff are fine although the Russian-speaking staff (and the Russian speakers generally that I met in Riga) were a bit more miserable and grumpy than the Latvian-speaking staff. Everyone spoke English at the reception desk, though to varying degrees of competence. Generally, the younger the person the better their English. The staff were helpful generally, especially a young man by the name of Peter Smits who also spoke excellent English.

The hotel is only about 10 minutes walk from the city centre/Old Riga and there is a decent restaurant on the corner about 20 metres from the hotel. This hotel won't win any awards but if you need to get your head down in Riga then this is as good a place as any in this price bracket.

17 Thank MrPabulum