“A good choice”

Radisson Blu Latvija Conference & Spa Hotel
Ranked #23 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed as part of a Baltic Capitals tour. Arriving early at 11am turned out to be a perfect timing as the otherwise always busy reception was free. Our small room wasn't ready so after leaving our luggage the very helpful Jan gave us a map & suggested some options to while away 4 hours. A pleasant 15 minutes stroll to the old town.
Check in was quick, efficient and friendly. The room, 7th floor, was small but very clean & perfectly fine. Love the pillows. We overlooked the beautiful Orthodox Cathedral.
The sky bar, on the 26th floor, with BOGO on the cheap cocktails between 5 & 6pm, gave the best views over the city. Excellent fast & free WiFi everywhere.
Breakfast was fine very busy but we didn't have a problem with seating. Reception helpfully book a local restaurant for us.
A large transit hotel for those 'doing' the Baltic capitals, so it was manic at times with coaches always arriving/leaving but I felt it managed this very well. We thoroughly enjoyed our faultless 2 night stay.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
RadissonRiga, General Manager at Radisson Blu Latvija Conference & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear saxondean!

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear such positive comments regarding the location, room and service. We were happy to serve you here and I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Very good rooms, service and an excellent breakfast.
We had nothing to complain about and it was as expected
The price was rather high compared to others in Riga, but it was worth it
Additionally they have a SIXT counter in the hotel where we dropped our car
So if you hire a SIXT car from Riga and need to drop it somewhere - come here

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
RadissonRiga, General Manager at Radisson Blu Latvija Conference & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear c0y!

Thank for your recent review of your stay on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear such positive comments regarding the rooms, service and breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I visit hotel Latvija every month on business and can say it satisfies my needs. Good location, good value for money, clean and reasonable size rooms. During my last stay which was longer than usual, I was very pleased to see a gift basket including, fruits, chocolates and San Pelegrino. Good to see they spoil the regulars :)

Be careful in the summer going for breakfast. Lots of tour groups visit the hotel in the summer and easting at 800 to 900 can sometimes be overcrowded.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
RadissonRiga, General Manager at Radisson Blu Latvija Conference & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear ViimsiEric!

I thank you for your loyalty to our hotel and taking your time to share your positive comments on Tripadvisor. It is great to read that you find our hotel comfortable and well equipped for your needs.
I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is an unbiased review based on what the hotel is and has, not what it lacks. There is no false advertising in what you are promised and if anything, it should match or exceed expectations.

Location: It is 600 meters/0.4 miles away from the Old City which is about a 5-10 minute walk. If you seriously can't handle a leisurely and enjoyable walk next to a couple of parks and scenic landmarks and buildings, then you should probably never go on vacation. Other options are to take a cab or a bus or bring your own motorized wheelchair, but that would be silly. Or, just pay for a hotel that is in the Old City. In addition, there are nice stores nearby and restaurants that are close by to check out as well.

Hotel/Rooms: The main building of the hotel was built in the 1970s based on Soviet architecture. So no, you aren't going to be staying in some amazing creation. However, it does look great at night when lit up. There is also a second building that was built later and is located a short walk down the hallway away from the main lobby. That building contains the basic rooms and was the first one given to us by the front desk. The room itself was small and the view was right into the main building and unappealing, but nice and modern and had a large bathroom. To me personally, it was not worth it to have that view for 5 nights, so we upgraded and got lucky enough to receive a business class room (they also have superior class rooms with good views. Our room was on the 18th floor and the view was great. The room itself had more space, although the bathroom was slightly smaller than the basic room I first walked into. It had a king bed and pullout couch, with a desk and small dividing wall. Curiously, there were no dressers to put clothes in, only small shelves in the closet. Lastly, these hotels are serious about saving energy and have an interesting and sometimes annoying mechanism. There is a "card holder" right when you enter the room that you put your room key in to turn on the lights and air conditioning/heat (and to prevent you from losing your key). However, a few minutes after you leave and take the card with you, everything turns off. This can be frustrating if you come back on a hot day and the A/C is off, but ultimately you can put any type of card into the holder even while you are gone.

Amenities: I can't say that I really used any, such as the spa and the fitness center, but I did walk in to have a quick look around and it looked nice. It is a bit of a walk from the elevators, but that's ok. Also, there is a little quick-stop store near the main building elevators that has anything you might need, similar to a 7-11 or kiosk: magazines, drinks, etc. I would recommend getting a bottle of water there for 1 Euro vs. the 3.50 Euro bottle charge in the room.

Breakfast: Free and in the lobby restaurant. It was a very good assortment of foods, and the croissants were great. They have an omelet station, meats, cheeses, fish, soft-boiled or scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon, cereal, juices, etc. Well worth it, although I personally would have enjoyed cold milk or juices instead of room temperature. I'm sure I could've asked, but I was too hungry and lazy.

Casino: There is a casino in this hotel, which is great if you like that. The poker room has about 15 tables and there are other table games and slots, as well as a full bar and lounge area with live music and TVs. I definitely spent some late nights playing tournament poker and cash games, with mostly the same crowd.

Skyline Bar: Exactly what the name says. Expect lots of tourists and locals alike. I stopped by, but didn't have time to get a drink there. The view was good and it was energetic inside. The ride up is in a glass elevator that looks out at the city as well, which is a nice touch. However, there is a cover charge on the weekends unless you are staying in a business class room.

Staff: The staff was nice and knowledgeable and attempted to make your stay better. Their responses were prompt and could be relied upon. As a bonus, the front desk has umbrellas to check out at no cost in case it rains and they have electrical converters for 3 Euros as well.

Negatives: Not too many that I can recall and definitely not like many other reviewers. The air-conditioning in my room was a bit weak because of the panels that cover it blocking air flow. The small elevators can cause a back-up and there are no scales in the room, which would be beneficial not just to check your own weight, but the weight of your luggage.

Summary: It is a lively hotel, modern and serves a purpose. Can it get crowded? Yes. Do other people sometimes have negative experiences? Yes. Did I enjoy my stay? Yes and I would stay here again, as it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear SS2007!

Thank you for your recent very detailed and positive review on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is great to hear you would stay with us again in the future. I love to hear so many positive aspects to your stay and appreciate the time taking to communicate this to us.

We look forward to welcoming you once again!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I travel a lot with work and use the Radisson Blu frequently but this was the first time I booked with Booking.com and I can only assume this was the reason for the cold reception from the staff the moment I entered the hotel. The room wasn't ready until 3pm and when I asked if there was any chance it could be ready earlier I was dismissed with a simple "No, we're busy". With 2 hours to wait we went to the hotel restaurant where the staff were rude, unapproachable and acted as if we were a nuisance for making an order. when I asked what the soup of the day was the waitress angrily replied "I don't know" ...then after a few seconds of silence, "Ok I'll check" My whole stay at the hotel made me feel uncomfortable and wanting to leave but as it was only one night I thought I could just stay away from the staff until the evening. The wi-fi wasn't working properly and it took 4 hours to get a fully working key card as the systems were down- I understand that these things were out of their control but good service is not taking it out on their customers. After an awful experience I complained to the hotel who told me they "were busy yesterday and if I had a complaint to send it in writing". Awful experience with staff who clearly don't want to work there. I will never be coming back for business or personal reasons.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Nikki T
RadissonRiga, General Manager at Radisson Blu Latvija Conference & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear holidays1234595!
Naturally I feel very sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us, but appreciate you taking your time to let us know about it. I was most concerned to read your comments on our staff attitude and service. Please accept my sincere apologies for that and be assured that this is not our normal standard. In opposite I want to ensure that the level quality is essential for us. I was concerned to read that you would not choose to return and would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss your findings in person while you were here. Let me reassure you that customer feedback is valued and corrective actions taken to improve guest satisfaction.
Once again, please accept my apologies for the disappointing experience here. I still hope that you will visit us again so that we can prove that we can do better.
Looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Positives: the hotel is modern and my room was large and up/to/date. The location is good within walking distance of old town Riga. The breakfast food is good and the staff is helpful and efficient. The skyline bad is worth visiting for have incredible view

Negatives: the breakfast room staff is over zealous on clearing tables. I put down a full plate of food and went up to get coffee - which you have to wait for at the expresso bar since it's not served at the table - and returned to my table to find my untouched plate of food had been removed and my table given away to someone else. This happened TWICE!!

Another less annoying irritant is that I was given a room with handicapped accessible bathroom - there seem to be a lot of accessible rooms at the hotel. It would be okay if I were disabled but it meant that the entire bathroom floor was flooded when I took a shower.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Warren L!
I thank you for choosing Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija for your stay in Riga and sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor!
I appreciate the feedback regarding many aspects to your stay such as the location, the breakfast and helpfulness of the staff and the Skyline Bar view. I have shared your comments regarding your breakfast experience with the Restaurant Team. Please be assured this is not a reflection on the usual standards of service we strive to deliver. Of course it is not an excuse, but our team just wanted to provide quick service during busy breakfast time. Please accept my apologies that your plate of food was removed and your table was given to another guest!
I am also sorry that due to high occupancy oh the hotel you were given a room with handicapped accessible bathroom.
Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back someday!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is uninspiring. It is clearly aimed at the business traveller and is ideally sited for their main customer base. It did nothing to make me want to go back.

We were on a tour of the baltic and found the location further from the old town than we had been led to believe.

The hotel is very big and does not have the facilities to accomodate the number of guests. There is another review entitled Breakfast Scramble which I would endorse completely.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
RadissonRiga, General Manager at Radisson Blu Latvija Conference & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Neil J!
I appreciate your feedback on Tripadvisor and feel sorry to read that our hotel and its services didn’t fully meet your expectations. I want to ensure you that we always try to anticipate guest needs and service quality is essential for us therefore we will look into possibilities to have more space / additional place for breakfast. We hope that you will return to us and we will do our best to make your next visit to our hotel pleasant.
Kindest regards,