“Made my trip to Riga complete - and lovely extra touch of socks/mittens! not to mention the ESPA Spa”

Radisson Blu Latvija Conference & Spa Hotel
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Ireland
Reviewed 18 September 2010

I stayed in this hotel, with my friend, whom was on business. We stayed one night. I found, like other reviewers, check in somewhat slow - however this may be due to the popularity of the hotel. Fantastic proximity to the old town. Lovely restaurant, with reasonable prices. Breakfast was good - with every possible choice. The room on the 18th floor was fine. Lovely shower. The double room was in fact two single beds pushed together, however this was no problem. The room was lovely. Delightful extra - which I havent seen anyone comment upon.... we returned to the room to find a gift bag with Latvian socks/slippers - really cool design, and mittens with Latvian CD in room. This was a lovely touch, never to be seen by myself in any hotel anywhere!!! The Bar was gorgeous, and my own bit of heaven ... the ESPA spa - it needs its own review section! I booked a treatment, but didnt realise that I would have the infinity pool, sauna, steam rooms and relaxation rooms to myself! It was quiet, peaceful, exactly what you want when you are on your own. It was heaven. i have a 5* hotel near me, which I use for the pool and gym and the changing rooms in this spa in this hotel, were so so superior. The treatment was amazing, way beyond what we have in 5* hotels in Ireland, and the solitude and ability to be on your own in your thoughts, dipping into each amazing luxurious section will stay with me for years! The treatment was 113 Euro or 80Latvian currency - pretty steep for one treatment, however the hour before the treatment on my own in the infinity pool, etc and being in the ESPA spa for 3hrs made this worthwhile. Overall, the stay was really good, but the ESPA spa made it complete

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Stayed for week with my wife on our first visit to Latvia. Enjoyed our stay, but not everything quite up to the standard expected. Check in was very slow, albeit arrived at probably wrong time. Not used to 20 minute waits, except when on a package tour. Clearing of breakfast tables also quite slow around the 8.00 am peak. The rooms although comfortable were a little on smaller side for 4* hotel and there was no kettle in room to make tea/ coffee, albeit mini bar. Would have preferred being able to enjoy hot drink prior to bed each night rather than seeing a bottle of water on table all week marked 3.00 Lat (£3.60) where kettle should have been. Other minor niggles like the inferior quality shower head not being up to 4* standard. Didn't find the service generally as good as expected for Radisson hotel. However, hotel is in a suberb location and quality of food at breakfast was really good. Hotel is extremely popular with people staying night or two for business seminars and taking advantage of hotel's facilities in evening rather than enjoying the culture and sights that Riga has to offer .
Would I recommend this hotel, or stay there again? Would need to experience other of the lesser expensive 4* hotels first as many reasonably priced to choose from in this city. Getting to hotel from airport - either local bus No 22 to central bus station, 30 min ride at 0.70 Lat plus 20 minute walk, or Airport Shuttle bus 20 minutes to hotel door for 3 lats per person, or taxi at 8 lats plus tip taking only 15 minutes. There is no longer a bus 22a whatever your guide says. If two of you and cases, taxi the better option.
Riga itself is a lovely city with plenty to offer. Trips outside city could include Jurmala and Turaida which are both reached easily and cheaply on train.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter e
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I was absolutely pleased with this hotel in every way. It is across a park from the old town of Riga, so it has pleasant and easy access to all the tourist sites, but it is itself in the "real" city, so it is surrounded by non-touristy restaurants and cafes. It is also very convenient to the Jugendstil district and some artsy locals-oriented pubs and cafes (if you can find them). The hotel itself is well-appointed. I had a completely trouble-free stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Large Soviet style building with a great Sky bar at the top. Modern and fairly contemporary inside. The rooms were great and the location is only a short walk into the old town. The problem with this hotel is its size and inability to cope with being so big. Queing for the lift was a chore...sometime I had to wait two or three times before I got in especialy if punters were heading to the Skybar. Breakfast was like a cattle market...twice at breakfast I had to find another seat as when making my selection at the buffet another of the bus tour crowd would take my table. Quality of the breakfast was poor but most of all...be warned this is a hotel for bus tours from Germany, Finland and Scandinavia. Its the second time I have stayed there and I should have checked my last review before retuning. Won't be back...not in tourist season anyway.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Chalkmeister1
Reviewed 22 August 2010

This Hotel made the entire trip to Latvia for me, after spending the majority of the trip in a so called 3 Star Hotel with bad customer servivce, No AC, and a tiny television I had a very bad taste in my mouth for Latvia, but the Radisson was extremely beautiful the staff was courteous and the Skyline Bar has the most amazing view. If you ever travel to Riga this is the only place to stay.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 August 2010

When we check in the receptionist asked us if we wanted a room upgrade. This would have been Euro 50 more per day and we decided to stay in the room booked by us. During check in it was further obvious that we are smokers since we placed two cartons of cigarettes on the check in counter. Once we arrived to our floor I immediately noticed that this was a non smoking floor. I told this to the luggage guy and he called to the reception. They told him that they were fully booked and that we couldn't change our room today. I went down to the reception and they told me that all standard rooms are non smoking rooms, but if we take a room upgrade he could arrange a smoking room ! Our room was further well decorated and roomy. In the hotel they have a casino with a very good Japanese restaurant inside. All hotel staff is rude and very impolite. The same counts for nearly all restaurant and bar staff outside the hotel. The words "thank you" and "please" are not yet discovered in Riga. After a while this starts to be very annoying and we definitely won't go back to Riga on a voluntarily basis.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Geemiker
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Just spent a couple of days in lovely -and very hot- Riga and stayed at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija. This hotel is kind of a legend, a high-rise 4 star hotel with friendly staff and a great view if you're able to get a room in the high floors facing the old town. The corridors and the room were worn out, even smelly, 80's style and really nothing special, merely 3 than 4 stars. The breakfast was better than average and the SkyBar in the 26th floor is worth a visit even though the prices in the bar are quite high compared to the stylish bars or local pubs only a couple of blocks away. Latvija used to be a Reval hotel - one taxi driver did not even recognize the name 'Radisson Blue Hotel Latvija' and the bathroom towels still had Reval all over them - I know some may find this odd, I didn't mind. The fitness room and the spa may be the best in town, but it's still stupid to make the hotel guests to pay almost 15 € to get an access. Anyways, a decent hotel, and supposedly there's a new wing as well which I didn't get to see since I insisted on the view and got a good one from the 13th floor (yes, there is a 13th floor!). Probably just a little bit too pricey and next time I'll try one of the smaller boutique hotels closer to old town - not that this one was too far away from anything that matters in Riga, since you could easily walk to the old town or to the bus station in 10 minutes.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo