“Central, old and with nice view”

Grand Hotel Kempinski Riga
Ranked #85 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Vejen, Denmark
“Central, old and with nice view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

The hotel er very central in Old Town and located in a quiet part (no neighbor clubs), but one side is located to busy road. Still I would prefer this side, as you will have view to the beautyful National Opera and a park (just ask for the top-floors).
I have stayed here many times in the past ten years and every time it needs renovation more and more.The rooms are old and used, and therefore they can look little dirty, but they seems to be clean (else I would only have awarded 2 stars).
The hotel have an amazing hall with a bar that takes you back in time, sometimes I visit the bar even Im staying at other hotels.
All in all, an nice impressive building, very central, needs a hand but ok for budget price. Free WiFi.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank EastwoodDK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hanoi, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed in this hotel for only two days with my colleagues. My stay was comfortable as the rooms, bathrooms, beds and pillows everything was perfect according to my need. And, what I enjoyed most was the delicious food which had different varieties. Thanks to staff, they are really very helping.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Matthias R
Helsingborg, Skane Lan, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

This hotel has potential to be so much better, with a superb location in the middle of old Riga you are close to everything. I feel bad about complaining that the hotel was in desperate need for an upgrade, because the price should be a indication of what to expect, you will never find a 4* hotel with this kind of location at the price of this hotel, I paid somewhere around 275$ for 4 nights including breakfast. The funny thing is that it has a nice atmosphere and you can imagine how splendid it must have been when it was new. The staff was very professional and spoke good English, in the bar there was a very cute girl who went far to help with places to go and see.
The room was a medium size double room with two single beds, the sleep comfort was good and we had view over the plaza in front of the opera house and park.
Just 2 minutes walk from the Patel you have a nice shopping mall with spa and gym on the 5th floor, just a heads up, the prices are not cheap on anything else than food and drink. I was thinking I would buy Christmas presents but the prices was same as home, so no idea really.
We were told that this hotel will be closed for renovation soon, so then I just hope the prices will not be too high, but it was worth the money..

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Tartu, Estonia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

I will not get my emotions involved into this review just point out the pros and cons.
Pros:
- The hotel is located in the old town of Riga which is gorgeous. If You have a chance, then You better get out of the room and enjoy the city.
- The design of the hotel is a bit old but it still manages to look classy.
Cons:
- The staff doesn't speak English very fluently. Sure You'll be able to understand all the things You need to know but You'd expect more from a hotel in the centre of the town.
- Because of the situation with staff's poor English we almost had to pay for breakfast brought in our room because one of the staff members assured us previously that it was off-charge.
- Heating won't begin untill October. We stayed at the hotel in September and complained about our room temperature being cold. All they could offer us was another blanket.
- The sauna was not pleasing. The hotel has a quite big sauna hall (oriented for approximately 20 people) and it had only 70 degrees celcius in there. Also inducing steam with additional water was forbidden. Some of the rooms in the sauna-complex had awful odour in them.
- The parking space is approximately 500m from the hotel and it is not free for the visitors.
- The bathroom utilities looked and probably are at least 20 years old.

Leaving the cons aside, it was a pretty decent hotel. It's not the one I would recommend to choose for a couple who decides to spend a lovely weekend in Riga. This hotel is more for a man who only needs it as a place to sleep and doesn't care about the environment, only the location. Comparing to other hotels I've stayed in, hotel Riga with it's old atmosphere and unpleasent staff doesn't deserve the four stars it has.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Juni T
Vilnius, Lithuania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

The hotel is a time machine right in the center of Riga which brings you straight to 80-ies of USSR. I believe that right then it was a pretty high class hotel for VIPs. It had computer-based check-in system (DOS program), surveillance cameras, TV's with remote control and other innovative stuff. But it is STILL THERE. How could a 4-star hotel have an elevator which is exact as now used in 9-floor living houses. It even has few graffities. How could a 4 star hotel have a double bed which consists out of two single beds (which are moved pretty easily if you lie in the middle). How could a 4 star hotel have: a 20 years old TV with a half-broken remote control, paper walls, half-broken door handles. The Internet is a matter of fortune - Russian roulette - one time it's there the other it's gone. But hey, in the end you get what you pay for - the hotel offers a very reasonable price, almost unreal for a 4-star hotel in the center, so please stay at this hotel only if you are really USSR-nostalgic.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Riga hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

Firstly, I wanted to write pluses and minuses of this hotel but late I chose another way. I will just mention what is, from my point of view, impossible to be in a modern European 4 star hotel:
1. USSR old fashioned halls, rooms, furniture, etc.
2. 20 years old TV which is showing only 3 channels.
3. Extremely dirty inner side of bathroom door
4. Dirty water from bath goes out simply through hole in the floor which is there most probably from the time there was just a shower.
5. Water with syrup instead of normal juice for breakfast.
6. Extremely small teretory of restaurant area where you can take things to eat at breakfast time.
7. WiFi coonection is not stable in the room.

To conclude, this hotel needs complete renovation to have real 4 stars. No questions only to the staff, very kind and polite. All my questions were answered immediately and problems were solved in time.

• Stayed November 2012
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

I wish I had looked up on TripAdvisor before I booked a room for three nights at this hotel. I'm staying here right now and I'm writing to warn others who are still deciding of where to stay in Riga. Do not come here.
It's supposed to be a four star hotel but I would give it no more than two. When I came to reception to check in receptionist didn't greet me at all. I wasn't offered help with bags although my rucksuck was really heavy and I was tired after a long day.
The first room I was given was firstly very cold and secondly there was a very strong smell of toilet in whole room. I went downstairs to the reception to inform the receptionist about the situation and she gave me a key to another room on the same floor almost next door. This was room 525. Once again room was cold and once again it stunk terribly... I couldn't quite tell but it was mixture between urine, womit and alcohol. The room looked clean but the smell was really terrible.
I went downstairs once more and said to the receptionist that the second room had even worse smell to which she replied that no one else had complained. I told her that maybe she would like to go with me and check it herself to which she replied she doesn't need to and she reluctantly gave me another key to another room. This room was on sixth floor number 621. It smelled better at first but as I'm sitting in the room, I can't stop regretting coming to this hotel and I feel if I will go to complain again they will probably tell me to leave if I don't like it here.
It's still very cold here, I think there is no heating in whole hotel cause radiators are cold.
I'm considering of booking into another hotel for tomorrow night and for the night after. I so badly want this second visit to Riga be nice cause I don't get a chance to visit Riga that often.
I simply cannot believe what a great difference is between 4 star hotels for example in UK, US or Canada and here in Latvia. I thought that 4 stars mean 4 stars everywhere.
I stayed for two nights in Dobele in a hotel which says outside that it has only 2 stars but even there the staff members were much more friendly and helpful, they even helped me to carry my bags to the second floor.
This truly is a disappointing experience and it doesn't seem that anyone in this hotel cares.
By the way I do agree with one of the guests who had written a comment here on TripAdvisor that hotel needs renovation. Rooms don't look clean or fresh, furniture and blankets that cover beds are old, after walking on the floor you have to wash feet. Bathrooms are old as well, I don't really want to touch anything in there.
Huh, well after saying all this it has helped me to come to conclusion. I will book in somewhere else for tomorrow and day after tomorrow.
So all in all... do not come here, you have been warned. ;)

Room Tip: I tried three rooms and they were all smelly and old looking. I don't know if there are any good...