“Still Great Hotel”

Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Helsinki, Finland
“Still Great Hotel”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Front desk service is quick and "smiley".
Rooms are large and and have all you need, with magnificent view. Parking lot is +
Lobbybar personality extra nice.
Could also say that breakfast is one of the best in Riga.
Easy to walk to Oldcity, or use tram, taxi ....
"Round the corner" is some shops if you need.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Espoo
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Hotel was okay, nothing special. At first front desk guy was really rude didnt even tell us which was our room number or how to go there.. Room was big but there is no information about anything not about Riga or even breakfast times or vans wich take you to town(?) IF I ever travel back to Riga I would take hotel other side of the river because at this side there is nothing to see..

Room Tip: If you can choose take room from river side..
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2013

only two nights, clean, good breakfast buffet, we need to call for towels, coffee maker was not clean enough, bath room is good, separated toillet from bathtub, large closet, elevator is too slow, you can walk to old town, and also has a free service of van to carry you to it, there are also taxis that are not free, special attention to this.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I went to Riga for business and would definitely stay here again. The rooms were spacious, with excellent views of the river. If you are looking for a view hotel, this is probably the one. The breakfast buffet was also very good, and the best perk for me was the hotel gym. most hotel gyms are small and disappointing, but this one was extensive--much like a fitness center at home. For someone who enjoys exercising, this was a pleasant surprise. I even splurged on a massage at the spa and enjoyed myself. The internet service was free, and worked very well!

The hotel staff was very helpful, and the location convenient. It was about a 10 minute walk across the river to Old Riga. A taxi to the airport costs about 8 lats, so plan accordingly. Latvia does not universally take Euros until January, so be aware of that.

The only improvement I would suggest is to the bathroom. It was adequate, but could have used a bit of an update. The pool was also closed for maintenance, but the front desk staff was not aware when I checked in. There could have been better communication with the front desk, although this was a minor point.

Again, I would not hesitate to state here again. If back in Riga in the future, I will definitely book a room at this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a river view.
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

having read some of the other reviews I am not sure they are describing the same hotel as I had an excellent experience there. Yes the hotel is not in the old town but I think if you are looking for a hotel in a quieter location than this is for you, It takes 10 minutes tops to walk to the old town across the Akmens bridge, If you do not want to walk you can take the tram or the bus into town, The bus and tram stops are a 5 minute walk away.
If you are coming from the airport take the number 22 bus and get off at the kugu Iela stop, cross the roadand walk down a small street and you are at the hotel. It costs less than a lat.
We had a river view room which was huge and our friend had a room on the rear of the hotel and the room was fine.
We found all the staff to be very helpful and efficient. The bar area is very pleasant and relaxing and our barman was very quick and courteous. I would stay there again just for the view.

Room Tip: Try and book a river view if available.
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

All was great, but bar service was terrible, we ordered coctails and the girl from the bar didn´t want to make them so she was extra slow, I asked how long will it take to make them so she answered, that I didn´t have to order them at all.. no service provider has ever told me that way, I was shocked.. I also ordered coffee, so they made me cold latte, I returned it and I suppose in a 4 star hotel they would make me a new coffee, but no, they warmed me my coffee.. everyone who was there were shocked! and for sure I will pick now other hotel to stay in.

Cardiff, UK
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I'm in two minds when writing this review. I had booked a business class room and on arrival I asked for a room with river view. The man at the front desk said I could have one but that there was a big concert that night on the other side of the river and a room at the back of the hotel might be quieter. I was pleased he had flagged this up for me, but didn't want to miss the river view. However, he assured me that I could change rooms the next night to a river-facing room. On that basis I took the back room. No problems with that and I was allocated a very comfortable room on the 7th floor. The next day I went to arrange a transfer to a river-facing room only to be told by a different person there were none available! Not too impressed by that.

I had to change rooms anyhow as my son was arriving and we were to share a twin room. The new room wasn't quite as good as the first room. The twin bed mattresses seemed to be rather old and the air conditioning worked for the lounge area but didn't really work its way into the bedroom. Bathrooms were slightly dated but clean and functional.

Location was ok. I knew beforehand that the hotel wasn't in the heart of old Riga. It is at least a 10min walk - not so much to justify a taxi but far enough not to want to walk it more than one or twice a day.

We had breakfast, one evening meal and used the bar. All good.

I found the front desk staff efficient (subject to complaint above!) but noticeable absence of a smile. However, bar and waiting staff were pleasant.

All in all, a good hotel but I probably would stay somewhere closer to the old town if I came again.

Room Tip: River views at the front but quieter at the back
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family