“Average hotel with excellent gym”

Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Helsinki, Finland
“Average hotel with excellent gym”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The hotel is located on the river side and it's about 10 minutes walk from the old town. It's really easy to arrive there from the airport by public transportation, just take the bus number 22 and get off at "Nacionala biblioteka", which is located only few hundred meters from the hotel.

It's a 4 stars hotel, but the rooms are very average and they could use some redecorating/updating. When I arrived it wasn't possible to check in until 3 PM. There's a free Wi-Fi in the hotel and it was pretty fast and worked without problems. The breakfast was good and there was plenty of choice. There's also a fitness center that offers a gym and an indoor swimming pool, and they're free for hotel guests. It was the best hotel gym I've seen so far. 3 stars for the hotel and 5 stars for the gym.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Dinky81.

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your overall experience with us, including the location of the hotel, breakfast at Panorama restaurant, and our famous, extensive fitness center.

I would, however, like to apologize for the room looking a bit outdated to you. I agree, without doubt that we, currently, have some challenges with the physical standards of the product. We are constantly working on improvements, and certain parts of the hotel have been renovated already. A full refurbishment of 9th and 8th floors is taking place in 2014. We also have plans for further, more extensive renovation of the hotel rooms and other facilities in the near future.

As for the check-in time I am truly sorry for you being forced waiting for your room to be ready. Our Accommodation Team does its absolute best to service all 356 guest rooms within the short time-frame between 12 p.m. and 3 p.m, which could be very challenging, especially in high season.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences and, I really hope you will give us another chance to extend our hospitality to you.

Mika Virtanen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

About 350 librarians descended on Riga for a conference in the brand new Latvian National Library. The library has superb conference facilities and this hotel is about 5 mins walk away and so is ideally suited. The hotel kindly arranged for a late taxi pickup from the airport which, for a first timer arriving in an unknown city, was comforting. The checkin was smooth and friendly. The bar area is nice and they have a great selection of Scottish single malts as well as good local beers. Breakfast was good (though coffee was sometimes difficult to source, and the scrambled eggs wobbled). The room was a great size and included a desk, a settee and an easy chair. It had air conditioning which on very warm days would be useful. I have no doubt that this hotel will benefit greatly from the new library conference centre and would certainly recommend it. Externally it is not a thing of beauty but it is certainly of its time.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Hill_Resident_SE14
Dear Hill_Resident_SE14.

Thank you for your review! I am thrilled that you had such a great stay and that your meetings went well. I am also happy that the location, your room, breakfast and service was perfect for your needs. I will share your compliments with our wonderful team. I hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Most of all easy to stay at Radison SAS hotel in Riga. I did not need any additional services/features. Room was quite hot, but luckily there was air conditioner Why shorter than 200 character reviews are not allowed...?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Heli N.

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving us a review. I truly hope that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back as soon as possible.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My friend and I turned out to be there involuntary - due to overbooking in Air Baltic we had to accept their voucher for one night stay in this place. Never again.

PROs:
- location not far from the old town, especially if you room overlooking the stone bridge across the river (ours wasnt - number 621);
- great b/f;
- spacious room even the most cheapest;
- nice interior in the lobby, it's huge -- everyone can find a place;
- free fiwi;

CONs:
- paper walls which let in any sound making a sleep almost a "mission impossible" unless you are drunk ));
- wallpaper in bathroom!! You can guess their condition;
- hard to find out how to use a shower even there was "an instruction";
- staff doesn't rebuke people who behave inappropriate (during the b/f a bunch of I believe chinese people (over 50) started their buffet b/f not even taking off their clothes, putting the sleeves of their coats into the dishes by taking covers almost at the places where they touch food!! It was disgusting to watch.

Make your conclusions on your own.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Marina_Ivashina.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the location of our property, breakfast in Panorama restaurant and hotel provided infrastructure.

However, I am truly sorry that you encountered some technical issues during your stay which negatively contributed to your overall satisfaction. I agree, without doubt that we, currently, have some challenges with the physical standards of the product. We are constantly working on improvements, and certain parts of the hotel have been renovated already. A full refurbishment of 9th and 8th floors is taking place in 2014. We also have plans for further, more extensive renovation of the hotel rooms and other facilities in the near future. As for the amenities, those are defined by the company standards, which individual hotels must correspond to.

As for your described situation during the breakfast I would like to thank you for bringing up my attention. I have passed this information for responsible department head for further consideration and follow-up.

I apologize that you had a disappointing experience and hope that you will return so we can recoup your confidence in us.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Enjoyed an early evening cocktail in the Skyline bar with fantastic views over the neighbouring park and gardens, Golden domes of the Russian Orthodox Church with the spires of the Old Town beyond. A lovely way to while away an hour in one of the loveliest capital cities in Europe.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Anne S.

Thanks for your review. I am truly happy that you enjoyed your evening cocktail in the Skyline bar and I will definitely pass your comments to our sister property team, since you have posted your kind review on Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel page.

If you happen to be in Riga, please visit us as well to enjoy charming vistas of the Riga Old Town. We'll be happy to extend our hospitality to us.

All the best,

South Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located right on the river and the view is breathtaking.
I agree with other reviewers that it needs updating and renovations but as a gold member of club Carlson I was upgraded to a deluxe suite with a private balcony facing the river and the old town. That made our stay memorable. Every day we left the hotel at 6 am for our day trips so was not able to enjoy the breakfast but they did pack us a breakfast box to eat on the way and that was pretty good. The staff was very helpful and if I have to go back to Riga I will surely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Gotofly2.

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you had a memorable stay and enjoyed the charming views and helpfulness of our wonderful staff. I am also happy that you enjoyed the Grab & Run concept and did not leave the hotel without any breakfast.

I hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

All the best,

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed for 1 night in a standard room as part of a road trip trough 11 European countries with stays in 9 different Radisson Blu Hotels in 9 European capitals.

Radisson Hotel no. 6 on the road. The first disappointment, but only in respect of the room. Spacious, but outdated, classic 1960's style, screaming for renovation or even demolition. Lovely view on the river and the old town, decent restaurant and good breakfast.

Parking came at 8 EUR/day. A bargain!

Would not return to a standard room, simply not worthy of the label Radisson.

Room Tip: There is a high rise Radisson in Riga or take the upgrade to a business room in the Daugava.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Peter D.

Thanks for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed the charming view of the Old Town and Panorama restaurant. I am also happy that you've found parking affordable and useful for your pan-European road trip.

I would, however, like to apologize for the room looking a bit outdated. I agree, without doubt that we, currently, have some challenges with the physical standards of the product. We are constantly working on improvements, and certain parts of the hotel have been renovated already. A full refurbishment of 9th and 8th floors is taking place in 2014. We also have plans for further, more extensive renovation of the hotel rooms and other facilities in the near future.