“Old with questionable service”

Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Riga
“Old with questionable service”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Well... Used my bonus points to book a room with kingsize bed.
The first question we got upon arrival was; would you like to pay 40€ / night for an upgrade to business class? It will include iron, coffee machine and pay-TV... Ehh, no thanks.

When entering our room we find out that we got 2 single beds... Not what I booked. Down to reception, discussions....got a new ("upgrade" room on the frontside of the hotel, but with a large bed. When back in the room at midnight we realize that traffic is quite strong and seems to run through the room it self.... Also found out that the toilet is loose, and after washing hands, the water does not drain out... Not so nice...

Back to reception. This time it's a more clever receptionist there... So we again gets a new room and an "upgrade", to "another business class ". No big upgrade I must say... Basically the same room as the previous. But this one has iron, coffee machine and free pay-TV... Wow!!!

Ok it's the correct bed and quiet...so I guess we should not complain... But I am happy I did not pay the extra 40€ / night...

I come to Riga from time to time for business, will I stay at this hotel? No thanks!!

Stayed August 2014
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Patric B.

Thank you for your kind review. On behalf of the hotel’s team, please allow me to apologize for not living up to your expectations during your recent stay with us. I do understand your disappointment regarding the room type and condition. We are constantly trying to improve our service, but regarding the condition of the hotel, unfortunately, we can not solve it as fast as we would like to. We know that rooms need to be refurbished, but, as you might know, it doesn't happen that fast - at given point we are preparing an extensive, long-term renovation plan for our property to conform to internationally renown Radisson Blu standards.

As for your check-in experience, please be advised that it is one of the receptionist's job duties to offer an upgrade opportunity, and of course, guest always has rights to refuse. We apologize if this offer somehow offended you, but that is one of our standard procedures.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences and, I really hope you will give us another chance to extend our hospitality to you. I would like to offer you an upgrade to an business class for a standard room rate on your next stay to show our possibilities and care.

If there is anything I can assist you with in your future visits, please do not hesitate and contact me personally.

Best regards,
Mika Virtanen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I also stayed in this Hotel recently for the World Choir Games. I had a single room but with a king bed, being only one person, which was small but adequate. My view was of the Soviet era apartments behind the hotel, but as I was not there most of the day it didnt matter. I agree that the breakfast was sumptuous and also the best that I have had. The service was very good and the desk staff very helpful. We got into an argument with a taxi driver about the fare and while we were able to manage this ourselves, when we told the reception staff about it, they advised that they would help if it happened again. It didnt. The hotel is a short walk across the bridge to the old town and also there is a tram stop nearby that will take you further into the city if you need it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river side. They are larger and some have balconies
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear John2090.

Thank you for your review. We couldn't be happier that you loved your stay. I am glad that our location, service and breakfast were perfect for your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the World Choir Games and it was perfectly nice for a conference. We stayed in business rooms so they were nice and roomy with balconies. The breakfast though, was the biggest and best I have ever had. Just across the bridge from oOld Town.

Room Tip: Book a business room with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear phoeberose95.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to see that you had a great stay and that our location, your room and breakfast were ideal for your needs.

I hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Riga!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2014

While our room overlooks the river and is quite spacious, the location across the bridge from old town is mot our favorite. We have a business room so it's big enough but the bed is just ok and the overall feel of the hotel is just ok. Not a bad choice but not our favorite.

Room Tip: Business rooms are a bit bigger and have a view of the river and the city
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear lesliebauman.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the size of your Business Class room. However I would like to apologize for our location did not suite your expectations and needs. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done in this respect :)

I hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Riga!

North Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is a short bridge walk from the "old town " of Riga .if you select the river view you will have not only a view of it but of the many structures that make Riga special including an ancient shot tower, castle and numerous churches. The hotel has a specious lobby and bar and the dining room also overlooks the river. The river flows to the Baltic Sea so if you upgrade to a business class room ( not much more in cost) you can ask for a balcony room and enjoy the fresh Baltic air.
The business class rooms are unusually spacious, clean and comfortable in a Scandinavian theme.
Staff are friendly and housekeeping is excellent. The breakfast buffet is a must. Fresh orange juice
Cappuccino on request, Latvian dark breads, chef prepared omelets, smoked salmon, numerous fresh fish, piles of fresh hazelnuts for home made granola, this buffet is terrific! The only downside to the hotel is the limited air conditioning in exceptionally hot weather but this generally isn't an
issue with windows that open, in cooler Riga .

Room Tip: A river view will add to your experience and suggest a business class room as well.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear bonvoyage30.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you particularly mentioned the view, your room and breakfast in Panorama restaurant in a positive manner.

I would, however, like to apologize for any inconveniences caused by the room temperature. According to Radisson Blu standards and given the technical possibilities of cooling equipment the maximum temperature difference between outdoor and indoor temperatures should be from 6 to 8 degrees. That must have been a very hot day.

I hope to see you again when your travel plans bring you back to Riga!

Best regards,
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were booked into the Radisson Blu Daugava for the World Choir Games and really enjoyed our stay. Friendly staff, great views of the river and Riga old town, comfortable rooms, good food and lightning fast internet.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Charl H.

Thank you for your comments! I am happy that you loved your stay and that our team was helpful and professional.

I hope to see you again next year during the World Choir Games 2015 :)

Siauliai, Lithuania
Reviewed 11 July 2014

i like this hotel.The hotel is in a convenient location. the hotel staff is very nice and helpful. do not have any complaints. super breakfast. definitely recommend it.until the next time and thank you

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Valdas J.

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and that you took the time to share your recommendation.

I hope to see you again soon!