“nice hotel, but poor service”

Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Warsaw, Poland
“nice hotel, but poor service”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at Radisson for 2 nights (end of our Baltic trip) and it seems to be the worst hotel of all. As a Gold Club Carlson member we were not offered a free upgrade (hotel was rather empty) - lady at check-in stated it was available only for Concierge status (which is not true, as at all Radisson hotels I ever stayed I had been upgraded and it had never been a problem). We received standard room (6th floor) with city view which was nice, but room was rather outdated, kettle was broken, no gifts or any extra treatment for Gold member.
The most irritating and ridiculous thing was however problem with extra towels, bathrobes and slippers when we wanted go to gym and sauna. Finally we were given them but only because there were not many guests!! Sauna is another weak link at this hotel - it is old, I presume never cleand or renovated, there are thousand of nails that can easily hurt you when relaxing!! so better be careful. Pool was nice but con is that is available for non-guests.
Breakfast was ok, it seems quite poorer choice than in Helsinki or Tallinn.
Room was outdated, but quite big, with lovley view over the old city and river. Bathroom ok, extra wardrobe was a plus. Free wifi was working fine. Location is ok - 15 min on foot to old city, close to bus stop #22 to airport.

Cons of the hotel is staff and service. I felt being an intruder at reception. Sauna is very old. I would never pay regular price for this service and room . If you do not expect much, and plan only to sleep there it is absolutely fine, but if you expect 4* service and room, so better look for another hotel as here you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: ask for a room with river/city view
1 Thank maxima20
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear maxima20.

Thank you for taking time and sharing your experience with us and fellow travelers. I am truly sorry that you have had a disappointing visit and that we were not able to properly resolve your kind concerns prior your arrival and during your stay.

However, I have consulted our Rooms Division Manager and I was happy to get informed that, together, we have managed to find common denominator in resolving stated issues and that you were satisfied with the proposed solution.

Once again, I would like to apologize for all the frustration that you have experienced during your stay and I hope that you will return so we can recoup your confidence in us.

Mika Virtanen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with a tour group while I was in Riga so I did not exactly have a say in where to stay, but I have no complaints.

The room was spacious, clean, with good amenities. The breakfast had a lot of varieties and was really good. The gym was surprisingly big with lots of machines and the pool are pretty decent too. and most importantly, the free wifi works great.
There is also a viewing deck on top of the hotel with good view of Riga from across the river.

The hotel is about 20 minutes walk away from the Old Town (I walk slow) so location certainly won't bother you if you like walking. Once you walk across the bridge it's about 5 minutes away. It is also a stone's throw away from the new National Library (pretty cool building, looks like a mountain) but I didn't get to visit during my trip.
All in all a great stay.

Room Tip: ask for a room with the river view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Dhyani P.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to see that you had a great stay and that your room, breakfast and the gym met and exceeded your kind expectations.I hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Riga!

Haywards Heath W. Sussex
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here for one night with a couple of colleagues. Only about 10-15 minutes from the airport. Taxi cost about 10 euros and the hotel were happy to add it to the bill.
Room was on the 9th floor with a nice view over the water to the old town. Room was comfortable but nothing special. Bathroom was a little dull as the light above the basin appeared to have one bulb out.
The following morning I had breakfast which was OK but I've had a lot better, but you won't go hungry.
Didn't use the leisure facilities so can't comment on them.
This hotel doesn't have the wow factor but it is clean and the staff very polite so would make a good base from which to explore Riga

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Alhowt.

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your overall experience with us, including the overall cleanliness and service provided by our great staff. I would however like to apologize for the bulb issue experienced. I have already informed Engineering Department about it for respective actions to take place.

I am truly sorry for any inconvenience or frustration you experienced. I hope that you will return to the hotel so we can recoup your confidence in us.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel was ideally located, everything in the room worked properly, the breakfast was amazing. Brilliant view of the fireworks along the river, lovely skyline of the old town to admire during daylight.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Amanda J.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am happy that you loved your stay and managed to catch the fireworks!

I look forward to welcoming you back! Thanks again!

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Used this hotel as a base for a sensible stag do. We found it to be very clean and tidy, our room on the 7th floor was of good size and similar to a small suite and of a good standard. The staff were polite and attentive and the cleaning team did a grand job. The pool and gym are easily accessible and again clean and tidy. The food at breakfast was typical continental, was fresh and plentiful and there was plenty of choice. Hotel is situated only a 10 minute drive from the airport and a short walk over the river from the old town. We had absolutely no issues with this hotel and would happily use again...

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear SMackley.

Thank you for your review. I couldn't be happier that you loved your experience and that our great staff managed to provide polite and attentive service.

I hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed for two nights (special deal via laterooms.com), room was quite small but very clean, and beds were comfortable. Very relieved to have air-con as temperatures were in the 30s. Breakfast is a banquet! The hotel is on the opposite side of the river to Riga's Old Town, about a kilometre walk along a busy road and across a very long bridge but ask at reception and they will organise a free taxi there and back. There is parking at the hotel but you do have to pay for it. Free use of swimming pool iand gym is a bonus.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear EdEd1953.

Thank you for your review. I am honored that you enjoyed your stay and that our outlets and premises met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Deanshanger, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Helpful welcome, spacious and clean room. Breakfast was a little busy with average choice. Fitness facilities were a little dated but offered a well equipped gym and good size swimming pool. I'd certainly be happy to stay here again would to recommend it. I expect a hotel stay to be relaxing and this achieved.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Paul S.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am happy that you loved your stay and that you have recommended us to others!

I look forward to welcoming you back! Thanks again!