“Charming”
Review of Hotel Gutenbergs

Hotel Gutenbergs
Ranked #10 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Charming hotel in the heart of Riga old town especially if you, like me, dislike the big hotel chains. This hotel really represents the old town's atmosphere.

Staff were friendly and the breakfast buffet was good.

Each room is different as the hotel was converted from something else. The first time I was there, I got a room with a big wheel in the middle. The second time, I got a more normal one.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank pige_paa_ferie

Reviewed 29 October 2007

We stayed for 3 nights in August 2007 on the third leg of our Baltic tour. The hotel is in a great location just a few metres from the Dome. We found the hotel staff to be generally very good. It is still family-run and any requests were promptly an efficiently handled. Our room was full of character and met our expectations. We had the benefit of a portable air-conditioning unit and this kept the room temperature just right. We were aware that others were not so fortunate and found their rooms too hot. The hotel is upgrading some rooms over the winter period and this can only be positive. The original features in some rooms is both a positive (ambience etc) and a negative (awkward beams and small windows) and so anyone looking for a standard box will be disappointed. We loved the features of our room and this added to our experience.

Breakfast is the usual buffet-style arrangement. We were disappointed with the attitude of the staff in this area. They did not restock and were mulish when we asked for their help. So if you are that way inclined it's an early start to ensure you are in the line for basics such as croissants! We complained and it was noticeable that a family member was supervising the next day when things did get better.

The roof terrace restaurant/bar is a pleasant way to spend time looking out across the Riga skyline.

We would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank quinnkk
Reviewed 23 September 2007

Delighted at the choice of Hotel, location superb and rooms fine.
The problems all start when you venture out to meet the locals! Our experience was awfull. Never felt welcome at any point and the people you should trust the most were the most ignorant (police). A country I will never visit in my life again.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank JontyNorthernIreland
Reviewed 10 September 2007

We have just returned from Riga. The hotel is in a good location in the old town area of Riga. The rooms are clean and of a good size. The roof top bar/restaurant has good views of the old town skyline. The room rate appeared to be good i.e. 80 Lat (approx £80) for a twin room. The breakfast could have been better but was OK. Overall I would recommend this hotel, if you intend to stay in Riga.
However from our experience in Riga I would not recommend visiting the city. The old town has cobbled streets and plenty of interesting architecture, however if this city is going to attract tourists, the locals need to improve their attitude and learn to smile.
If you are still going to Riga you must have a meal in the Indian restaurant located in the old town (sorry but I can’t remember the name but I think it related to ‘Camel’ and was down a back alley and in a basement, close to a street called ‘Audeju Iela’). Don't let this description put you off, it’s a must see experience and the foods good.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 13 June 2007

This is a charming unique hotel in just about the best location possible to discover many of Riga's special sites. It's in a corner of old town that is a stone's throw from the Dome Square, and only a three or four blocks from anywhere else in old town. I walked to the train station and Central Market in about ten minutes, and the river with its bridges and boat cruises is also only a few minutes away.

Upon entering the hotel you feel like you're staying at one of those cozy boutique hotels. There are beautiful floral arrangements, little seating areas for two or three in all the hallways, a small registration desk, and very helpful staff who all appeared to speak English. There was a laptop computer in on a table tucked in a corner of the lobby that was available at no charge to guests. The hotel appeared to reasonably full, but people appeared to be able use the computer as needed.

There is a moderately steep flight of steps from the entry up to the lobby, but once you are there, there is an elevator that takes you to your floor as well as up to the roof top restaurant and down to the lower level dining room where breakfast is served. The front desk staff will bring your luggage to the lobby from the street. But if you are unable to navigate stairs this could be a problem.

My room was in the newer part of the hotel and faced the street. So I didn't have one of the somewhat darker older rooms with beamed walls and ceilings and slightly sloping floors. I was able to view one of these older rooms, and they have their own special charm. If you think you'd prefer one or the other, be sure to specify when you make your reservation. I think I'd have been happy with either style.

The room was small, but included a desk, a couple of comfortable occasional chairs, a small TV and small stocked refrigerator with reasonably priced items, by US hotel standards. The bathroom was a reasonable size with a shower and complimentary soap, lotion and hair products. The room did not have a hair dryer. I had a large picture window with a deep ledge that made the room very light, but the heavy drapes could be closed to block the light for sleeping. And there was evening turn down service with yummy local chocolates left on your pillow.

Given the multi-storied buildings in old town, and the cobble stone streets, I did encounter some street noise with the windows open. If that bothers you, you should ask for a room that does not face the street and the square. On the other hand, if the weather is cool enough to keep the windows closed, that may not be a problem.

There is an open air roof top restaurant and bar that gives you a spectacular view of the roof tops of old town, the river, and about ten different steeples. I had a lovely dinner there one evening, and maybe the best Mojito I've ever been served! It's not inexpensive - about $60US for one for a drink, large salad and entree, but the setting, the service, great drink and pretty good food was worth it. But there are enough restaurants, coffee shops and bars in old town to meet anyone's taste and budget. There's even a TGI Friday's if you need a taste of the US.

A buffet breakfast is provided in a very nice lower level dining room. The offerings were pretty much the same each morning - scrambled and boiled eggs, very limp bacon, smoked sausages, cold sliced smoked meats, sliced cheeses, some pickled items, cereals, juices, small pastries, sliced bread with a toaster, coffee/tea and whole fruit. If there is a large tour group staying at the hotel, you may find all the tables taken, as I did one morning. But I came back half an hour later and had the room almost to myself.

I loved Riga, and I loved this hotel. I can't imagine staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank OnTheGoEugene
Reviewed 17 May 2007

My sisters and I stayed at this hotel for two nights recently. We booked a 'triple' room. The room was rather small and they had put a camp bed in there as the third bed. The beds were comfortable but too soft and the addition of the camp bed made the room even smaller and there was not enough room to even walk around the bed to the other side of the room. I think if you booked a double, it would be fine.

On the second day the hotel's hot water malfunctioned and we couldnt have a shower until the next morning, which was very disappointing as we had dinner reservations that night. The hotel staff were very apologetic so they cannot be faulted on that.

The breakfast was lovely however, you need to be there earlier rather than later as they don't re-stock the food for the late arrivals. We ate at 9.30am on the first day and there wasn't a lot of food left to try, however, we ate at 7.45am the next morning and there was plenty of food. Food consists of pastries, breads (including 'black' bread) sausages, bacon, scrambled and boiled eggs, fruit, fruit juices, cereals, cheese and vegetables.

There is a roof top restaurant and we did plan to eat there on the second night however it was too cold to eat there even with the patio heaters. The restaurant is highly priced - I can't comment on the food as I ate elsewhere, however, the food looked delicious and if I could have eaten there, I would have.

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel - it is a good base for sightseeing. The location is perfect for it as it is in the centre of Riga.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank RachelChester
Reviewed 27 April 2007

Gutenbergs hotel is excellent great food excellent rooms superbly attentive and pleasant staff. i have just returned if i go to Riga agaun i will definatle=y stay again this hotel is First class. Linda on Reception is just fantastic.