“Overall a nice experience”
Review of Hotel Gutenbergs

Hotel Gutenbergs
Ranked #10 of 110 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Location-wise, I do not think you can get much better. You are right in the middle of old town.The hotel is in a small street with cobblestones just off the old town market place. The hotel is stylish, breathing calmness and quietness. I enjjoyed that.
I arrived after midnight and had probably the fastest check-in ever. My name and signature on a paper and I could go to bed.
When you take the elevator to the floor, you actually end up on a middle floor. You always have to take some stairs to get to your room. My room on the fourth floor was actually pretty large.
As mentioned by others, the floors are not straight. Drawers open without touching them and the not-closed safe opens every time you open the cupboard. In the beginning it's funny, but after some time, it gets on your nerves.
The sheets on the bed are actually to 1-person sheets. I never managed to crawl under it completely.
There is not a lot of shelf space to put our stuff in the bathroom. I think the hotel could do something about that, especially because there is actually a lot of space. Be careful when you take a shower. It happpened to me twice that I turned off the water and the shower head fell out of the holder on my head. I tested it afterwards again and if the water runs too hard, the shower head falls as soon as you turn off the water. Guaranteed.
The breakfast was for the size of the hotel very varied and of high quality. It has maybe a slight Eastern European style, but it didn't bother me. I quite liked it. And the coffee is better than in most places.
Everybody in the hotel speaks perfect English and Russian. The number of English TV channels is limited, though.
And do not trust the wake up call too much if you want to leave early. I got my wake-up call when my taxi already arrived.
When I will return to Riga, I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the 4th floor. When I stayed there, there was some kind of party going on across...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Nico S

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Right in the center of the old town, very traditional latvian hotel. The rooftop bar is great in summer one of the few hotels with one. No need for a car, you can walk round the old town with ease. So many bars and restaurants to choose from within a short walk.

Nice, good quality hotel.

Room Tip: Delux if possible
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ralph R
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and this hotel couldn't have been in a better location. It is just a few steps away from the prettiest square in Riga. I read and saw photos from other reviewers and our room looked nothing like theirs. It was just your basic hotel room which I thought was ok since we didn't spend much time in the room. Breakfast was included which was very good. There were lots of choices. There is an elevator. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Now the bad points. 1. From midnight to 4:00 am every night there was loud music and partying outside our window. I don't know if it is a club, bar, or just the café, but you should request a room away from the square. We were on the 3rd floor down the end of the hall and it was quite loud. 2. We couldn't get the wifi to work in our room so we had to sit in the hallway to use the ipad. 3. You need to pay for parking which I get since space is limited.

Aside from that it was great and if we ever found ourselves in Riga again we would definitely stay at the Gutenbergs Hotel again.

Room Tip: perfect location
3  Thank zippy608
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The hotel has a very central location in the center of Riga's old town. Lot of restaurants in walking distance from the hotel. The hotel has a very good atmosphere and the room was very well equiped. Breakfast was OK and the receiption was helpful and gave us helpful tips for things to see and do in Riga.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EPKTONSBERG
Reviewed 28 August 2013

It's a great location for a hotel with excellent service and a very good breakfast. The rooms we had were small and had exposed beams that you could easily hit your head on. The rooms were also a bit on the dark side with not much light. Perhaps there are other rooms that we did not see that are nicer. We were moved by the hotel to an apartment across the street that was very nice. This apartment was owned and run by the hotel.

Room Tip: See if you can get the apartment as it is very spacious.
2  Thank HartlandWisMark
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I give it a 5-star rating because the hotel was as good as we expected and we had absolutely no problems with anything. You can't beat the location, it's right in the center of Riga's old town. We found the oddities that other reviewers mentioned in our room as well - sloped floor (the cabinet in the corner made it very noticeable), huge wooden beams crossing our room etc. Actually we found that part rather enjoyable. The breakfast was very good and in retrospect I have to say it was amongst the best that we found during our trip through the Baltic countries and southern Scandinavia. The staff was very friendly, professional and spoke excellent English.
Although we weren't affected I want to mention that it is true that the stairs are a problem for wheelchairs. There are stairs from the street to the lobby and the elevator stops a half floor higher than where the rooms are, so you have to get a few steps down to reach you room. It's just the way the old building is. The hotel should advertise this clearly.

3  Thank ALien89
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed here in February 2013 so it was midwinter so we sadly didnt get to use the rooftop terrace that they say so much about.
The hotel in itself is down a small back street but still fairly close to lots of shops/restaurants so you dont feel out of the way.
Check in was quick and the reception lady seemed to speak about 5 languages which is always helpful for us Brits who dont. They also let us have a free late check out on the last day because of a late flight which I think goes a long way (try to smile, I think it helps!)
The room is quite small and ours was on a fairly steep slant so if you get out in the night and arent properly awake you go for a sort of jog to keep up with yourself, but that said they are lovely and quirky which I quite liked. I think there is some kind of basement club/disco downstairs as it was fairly noisy until late night/early morning although its not 'rowdy' noise if that makes sense, so it didnt keep us awake.
Lots of nice places to go/see nearby and if you get chance go to Double Coffee, a franchise which blows Starbucks/Costa out of the water and does the most wonderful and cheap food/drinks.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple