All reviews rooftop restaurant wooden beams sloping floors old town dome cathedral junior suite nice hotel excellent location perfect english small window fourth floor cobbled streets within easy walking distance up to date bars and restaurants rooms are comfortable mini bar
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Pros: Beautiful decor, clean washrooms; great water pressure and hot water in a good-sized shower; plenty of room for toiletries around the sink; a window that actually opens (that is a REAL plus for me as I love to sleep in a COLD room); attentive, courteous, prompt service at reception; an exceptional buffet breakfast included in VERY reasonable room price; and, finally, a wonderful, central location that makes the entire old town of Riga reachable in no more than a 10-15 minute walk.

Cons: Lousy pillow ( and I do mean REALLY awful!); the reading chair looks cute but it is truly an uncomfortable insult to what I think of as reading chairs; the mini-bar selections are (IMO) seriously overpriced even by hotel standards; no chips or chocolates in the mini-bar (which I probably would have purchased, even at the inflated prices)

Obviously, those negatives are small potatoes compared to the items I noted on the plus side of the ledger and this hotel is definitely a four-star experience that is very easy to recommend.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank cpw1952
Sandis S, General Manager at Hotel Gutenbergs, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Thank You very much for such a nice review. I am glad You liked our Hotel & Restaurant! Best wishes from all our team!

Reviewed 30 December 2017

Excellent hotel with a good position in city centre, next to cathedral, rooms were delightful and very clean, the staff were nice and helpful, good breakfast and definitely a pleasant stay. Rcommended

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank GerdNe

Reviewed 27 December 2017

Staying over Christmas in a hotel is as much about the staff working and how they treat you as the hotel itself. I want to give special thanks to Marcis, who manned the front desk and really went out of his way to ensure we had a very special Christmas Day at Gutenbergs. Thanks to the breakfast staff also for ensuring that there was lots of good, tasty food to enjoy on these special days.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sven_goran_erikson

Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

I stayed in a Jnr Suite in Hotel Gutenbergs and it was excellent value for money and hard to improve in terms of location. A stone’s throw away from the cathedral (and one of the Christmas markets) with a comfortable, clean room with a mini bar and coffee/tea making facilities. Breakfast offers a good variety and is nice and long - until 10:30 which makes a nice change. It has a rooftop restaurant and the staff is super helpful and eager to assist. There is some noise given the location of the hotel, but it didn’t keep me up.
Comfortable bed, bath/shower combination / underfloor heating and there was nothing that I missed having in the room.

The hotel also arranged a taxi for me from the airport and was most helpful when they couldn’t find my flight - kept in contact with me to make sure they found me.

It was a pleasure to stay here.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Michelle E

Reviewed 23 December 2017

A lovely hotel, welcoming and very helpful staff. An interesting old building which has retained character when converted to a hotel, but has good modern amenities. Excellent location to reach all the places you want to visit. Breakfast was a buffet with a good selection of hot and cold dishes.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends