All reviewsrooftop restaurantwooden beamssloping floorsold towndome cathedraljunior suitenice hotelexcellent locationperfect englishsmall windowfourth floorcobbled streetswithin easy walking distanceup to datebars and restaurantsrooms are comfortablemini bar
Reviewed 10 September 2007

We have just returned from Riga. The hotel is in a good location in the old town area of Riga. The rooms are clean and of a good size. The roof top bar/restaurant has good views of the old town skyline. The room rate appeared to be good i.e. 80 Lat (approx £80) for a twin room. The breakfast could have been better but was OK. Overall I would recommend this hotel, if you intend to stay in Riga.
However from our experience in Riga I would not recommend visiting the city. The old town has cobbled streets and plenty of interesting architecture, however if this city is going to attract tourists, the locals need to improve their attitude and learn to smile.
If you are still going to Riga you must have a meal in the Indian restaurant located in the old town (sorry but I can’t remember the name but I think it related to ‘Camel’ and was down a back alley and in a basement, close to a street called ‘Audeju Iela’). Don't let this description put you off, it’s a must see experience and the foods good.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 13 June 2007

This is a charming unique hotel in just about the best location possible to discover many of Riga's special sites. It's in a corner of old town that is a stone's throw from the Dome Square, and only a three or four blocks from anywhere else in old town. I walked to the train station and Central Market in about ten minutes, and the river with its bridges and boat cruises is also only a few minutes away.

Upon entering the hotel you feel like you're staying at one of those cozy boutique hotels. There are beautiful floral arrangements, little seating areas for two or three in all the hallways, a small registration desk, and very helpful staff who all appeared to speak English. There was a laptop computer in on a table tucked in a corner of the lobby that was available at no charge to guests. The hotel appeared to reasonably full, but people appeared to be able use the computer as needed.

There is a moderately steep flight of steps from the entry up to the lobby, but once you are there, there is an elevator that takes you to your floor as well as up to the roof top restaurant and down to the lower level dining room where breakfast is served. The front desk staff will bring your luggage to the lobby from the street. But if you are unable to navigate stairs this could be a problem.

My room was in the newer part of the hotel and faced the street. So I didn't have one of the somewhat darker older rooms with beamed walls and ceilings and slightly sloping floors. I was able to view one of these older rooms, and they have their own special charm. If you think you'd prefer one or the other, be sure to specify when you make your reservation. I think I'd have been happy with either style.

The room was small, but included a desk, a couple of comfortable occasional chairs, a small TV and small stocked refrigerator with reasonably priced items, by US hotel standards. The bathroom was a reasonable size with a shower and complimentary soap, lotion and hair products. The room did not have a hair dryer. I had a large picture window with a deep ledge that made the room very light, but the heavy drapes could be closed to block the light for sleeping. And there was evening turn down service with yummy local chocolates left on your pillow.

Given the multi-storied buildings in old town, and the cobble stone streets, I did encounter some street noise with the windows open. If that bothers you, you should ask for a room that does not face the street and the square. On the other hand, if the weather is cool enough to keep the windows closed, that may not be a problem.

There is an open air roof top restaurant and bar that gives you a spectacular view of the roof tops of old town, the river, and about ten different steeples. I had a lovely dinner there one evening, and maybe the best Mojito I've ever been served! It's not inexpensive - about $60US for one for a drink, large salad and entree, but the setting, the service, great drink and pretty good food was worth it. But there are enough restaurants, coffee shops and bars in old town to meet anyone's taste and budget. There's even a TGI Friday's if you need a taste of the US.

A buffet breakfast is provided in a very nice lower level dining room. The offerings were pretty much the same each morning - scrambled and boiled eggs, very limp bacon, smoked sausages, cold sliced smoked meats, sliced cheeses, some pickled items, cereals, juices, small pastries, sliced bread with a toaster, coffee/tea and whole fruit. If there is a large tour group staying at the hotel, you may find all the tables taken, as I did one morning. But I came back half an hour later and had the room almost to myself.

I loved Riga, and I loved this hotel. I can't imagine staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank OnTheGoEugene
Reviewed 17 May 2007

My sisters and I stayed at this hotel for two nights recently. We booked a 'triple' room. The room was rather small and they had put a camp bed in there as the third bed. The beds were comfortable but too soft and the addition of the camp bed made the room even smaller and there was not enough room to even walk around the bed to the other side of the room. I think if you booked a double, it would be fine.

On the second day the hotel's hot water malfunctioned and we couldnt have a shower until the next morning, which was very disappointing as we had dinner reservations that night. The hotel staff were very apologetic so they cannot be faulted on that.

The breakfast was lovely however, you need to be there earlier rather than later as they don't re-stock the food for the late arrivals. We ate at 9.30am on the first day and there wasn't a lot of food left to try, however, we ate at 7.45am the next morning and there was plenty of food. Food consists of pastries, breads (including 'black' bread) sausages, bacon, scrambled and boiled eggs, fruit, fruit juices, cereals, cheese and vegetables.

There is a roof top restaurant and we did plan to eat there on the second night however it was too cold to eat there even with the patio heaters. The restaurant is highly priced - I can't comment on the food as I ate elsewhere, however, the food looked delicious and if I could have eaten there, I would have.

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel - it is a good base for sightseeing. The location is perfect for it as it is in the centre of Riga.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank RachelChester
Reviewed 27 April 2007

Gutenbergs hotel is excellent great food excellent rooms superbly attentive and pleasant staff. i have just returned if i go to Riga agaun i will definatle=y stay again this hotel is First class. Linda on Reception is just fantastic.

Reviewed 3 January 2007

This is a good choice if you are staying in the Old City.It is right next to the Dome Cathedral . We had reserved a deluxe room which turned out to be very small - so they moved us to a junior suite for no extra charge, perhaps it was because it was mid December with not many travelers. The room was in the old part of the hotel - which has very sloping floors and low beams - - charming but watch your head if you are over 5' 7" tall!! The breakfasts were superb -included in the rate and delivered to the room for a $6.00 charge if you wished - ample sized bathroom - you must specifically ask for a bath tub - - the room was very nicely decorated - no view because of the location of the hotel - We could hear the people in the room above us one night and unfortunately there were 2 children running around at 11PM with no parental control - - the bathtub overflowed and sent water cascading down into our room - the front desk people responded quickly and help us move to another room but at check-out gave us no consideration for the inconvenience - - Some of the front desk people were terrific - - some could have been nicer (we stayed 5 days) We payed about $195.00 a night. Not bad for the location which I always consider to be the first factor I look for in a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)