Radisson Blu Ridzene Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsglass pyramidold townlovely parkshort walksmoked salmonnice hotelfreedom monumentcomfortable roomswithin walking distancebreakfast buffetrestaurants and barsexcellent locationvisit riganice stayconvenient locationhotel is situatedsauna
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 May 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last weekend. I was looking for a quiet hotel and was wary about staying in the middle of the Old City. This hotel therefore turned out to be ideal. It was comfortable and far removed from its historical roots as a hotel for the Soviet elite. We had a standard non- smoking room on the fourth floor and were not disturbed at all by noise. The room was large with a sitting area. The bathroom was also big and tiled in dazzly black and white. There was a separate toilet.

The buffet breakfast was plentiful, with a choice of cereals, fruit, cold meat and cooked dishes that you would expect at a 5 * hotel. The smoked salmon was particularly good.

The building has a large atrium, with rooms circling its perimiters. I thought the decor in reception was rather beige and bland. The Hotel offers free and speedy internet access, useful for online checkin for flights home. There is a sauna and fitness centre too.

Mostly the service was good and delivered in good english. However, there were some aspects which were not quite slick enough for a 5* rating. When we arrived, receiption was not busy but there was nobody available immediately to check us in. Although I am quite happy to carry my own luggage, it is usual for a member of staff to greet new visitors and take luggage to your room. This did not happen. We had drinks in our room and had also drunk the bottled water that is provided. However, the glasses and bottles were not cleared the next day. There were lots of staff on receiption when we checked out but they were not co-ordinated.

The hotel is located next to the American Embassy and about a 10 minute walk through a delightful park to Old Riga, making this an ideal location to stay. It was even closer to the Opera House which was great as we had tickets for Verdi's Masked Ball.

Overall I would recommend this hotel.

8  Thank Milonga
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Good:

Only good thing was the service at the front reception.

Bad:

When the ventilation was switched off, you could hear an irritating ticking noise from the hotel ventilation system which makes it impossible to sleep.

The rooms are very small and have no view from the windows!

Between the hotel and Garage there are 2 doors where you have to press a button and wait the hotel clerk to open it, wouldn't one be enough??

The restaurant is awful, both food and service... had to wait 40 minutes for my meal, which tasted horrible (wished I had just walked to McDonalds which is 10 minutes away), then had to wait 10 more minutes until I could pay for the meal.

On friday and saturday evening the hotel lobby and lounge were totally empty wich the exception of a few old people... I went across the park to Hotel Latvija... and the lounge was full of beautiful young latvian and russian women, there was also a hot nightclub below Hotel Latvija and another one 100m from the front door.

If you can get a room - stay at Hotel Latvija!!!

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 March 2006

We stayed in the Reval Hotel Ridzene for five nights and had a fantastic time. The staff were really professional and helpful. If we had any questions/problems they sorted them out straight away. The room was very big (superior double room) with a really comfy bed. The bathroom is as amazing as its made out to be on other reviews - I now want underfloor heating too! The Fitness Centre was actually quite good considering it isn't very large. One wall of the sauna is glass, so you look out on a beautiful park and some lovely old buildings. It's very relaxing to sit in a sauna and watch everyone else go about their daily lives! We also had a massage, which was very good value by Irish standards - the equivalent of €28 for 45 minutes. The breakfast every morning set us up for the day - couldn't eat again until about 5. I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay for a few days.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank Burnham
Reviewed 24 March 2006

Paid a lot extra for superior room. Initially given a tiny bedroom with tiny bathroom. Asked reception staff if this was a superior room and was told I could have a " free" upgrade to a better room ( how can it be free when I had paid £90 extra for this type of room?)

The "superior" room was far from superior. True, it was larger than the first room and it had a guest toilet. However, it overlooked the very shabby rear of the US embassy and there was a good deal of noise from this buliding at all hours of the day and night. The wardrobes doors would not slide, meaning that you could not gain access to the hanging rails or the in-room safe. The shower door came out of its track the first time I opened it. The carpets were terribly stained and the sofa looked dusty and grubby. There was no literature in the room to tell you anything about the hotels amenities. The hairdryer did not work. I attempted to book a massage for my husband in the relaxation suite, but although we waited in the hotel until 12pm midday, there was no-one available to take the booking ( for some reason, reservation staff would not take bookings for the relaxation centre ).

All in all, I would consider this hotel to be 4* at very best. Whoever has decided it deserves a 5* rating is greatly mistaken.

11  Thank Raas
A TripAdvisor Member
Lancashire,England
Reviewed 19 October 2005

We stayed at the RIDZENE for 2 nights - it was a lovely clean room,fab bathroom with heated floor,large comfy beds and all the comforts you would expect.Water,chocolates and next day weather forcast are brought to room daily .The location of hotel is perfect, 2 mins from small park and all sightseeing .Breakfast is extremley good in a very nice restaurant where you can watch the world go by.Sauna and gym on top floor has exceptional views.Staff very groomed , smart and curteous.Overall we had a brilliant few days in a beautiful city and would definatly recommend Riga and the hotel.TOP MARKS!!

• Stayed: October 2005