“Good hotel, great staff to work with”
Review of Hotel TIA

Hotel TIA
Ranked #71 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed here recently on our tour of the Baltic countries. I was impressed by the hotel after having spent the previous three nights in Vilnius. The rooms were basic but were clean and everything worked well. Our room even had a fridge and they included a free bottle of champagne since we mentioned that we were on our honeymoon. The staff at the front desk were great to worth with. They returned emails promptly. They even had items we inquired about marked out on a map when we arrived. They helped us out with taking public transportation and printed out our bus tickets for our journey on to Tallinn. The only negative that I think about was that even though our room and I believe the hotel is smoke free on more than one occasion we could smell people smoking. On a couple occasions it was coming from the stairwell even though it said not to do this in the hotel guide book. Another time it smelled like it was coming from the room next door. It also can be a little noisy at times since the room's doors and walls are somewhat thin. It wasn't too bad but was noticeable at times. Overall, I would recommend this hotel. Great staff to work with and very good location. It is about a 15 minute walk into the Old Town area. Also, if I might add we enjoyed Riga much more so than we did Vilnius. It is obviously a much bigger city but there is a nice blend of restaurants, parks, and an old town area to walk around in that seemed lacking in Vilnius.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tngl4ut

Reviewed 27 September 2011

We found this hotel through booking.com and we got a great deal. For the amount we were paying for this room, the room was excellent. Very clean,comfortable and cozy rooms. The breakfast was very good. Very good value for money.

The staff are efficient and helpful but not very friendly.

The only drawback of this hotel is the location..it is a little far from the old town. It is walkable and we walked to the old town and back everyday. People who don't like walking may find this place a little far.

The art Nouveau district of riga is very closeby and walkable. We walked to it back and forth everyday. I definitely recommend this hotel for people who don;t mind walking a little bit.

The Airport bus can be taken from the front gate of Esplanade..and if you are carrying heavy bags..it is walkable..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank andrew_netlas
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The hotel is easy to reach by bus from the railway station. I think I could take some 1:30 from airport to the hotel using public transportation (which is, btw, an efficient way to move around).
You can walk downtown but this would take a while.
There is a Lido restaurant (I advise to eat there) some 10mns walking from the hotel.

Breakfast was not the best and we had to use somekind of congress room because the actual breakfast room was being renovated (at least they said so).

Staff in the hotel is friendly.
The elevator is incredibly small and the room we had did not offer such a pleasant view. Room was noisy and you could easy ear what people were talkin behind your door (I guess they could ear us too!).

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Perfect for my solo trip. 10 minute walk to the edge of the old town (or there's a trolleybus from outside which I never even needed to use). If you know/meet any locals then they will show you there are actually interesting bars and restaurants to go to in this area, not just the tourist rammed places in the centre.

Hotel staff all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet always satisfying. All non-smoking however my room on the 6th floor did seem to get a smell of tobacco smoke occasionally, maybe somewhere through vents, not from the balcony.

Would stay there again definitely!

Room Tip: 6th floor has balconies, so you can smoke outside your room if you like.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Great little hotel. Just moments away from many Art Nouveau buildings and just a 15 minute stroll through nice streets to the Old Town. The rooms are basic but clean and comfy with all the facilaties you'd excpect. The breakfast is a buffet serving up a selction of standard Latvian/Eastern European breakfast dishes (cold and hot meats, eggs, vegitable, pancakes, curds) and there is also cerel and fruit.

Myself and my girlfriend stayed for 3 nights in a double room with breakfast included and paid just £100! For that price you will not find anywhere better in Riga, my girlfriend is Latvian and she agrees!

Room Tip: If you want a double bed make sure you state this explicitly when booking or your may end up with a...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I had a single room, but the receptionist told me that every room has the same ammenities and design.

Pluses:
- My single room had a balcony. Not a great view, but it gave a feeling of luxury.
- Bed was very good
- Bathroom big for a single room, shower with good pressure
- Minibar in fridge, had extra room for waterbottles and lunchpack.
- Service was ok, but not excellent.
- Very clean. Though carpet is not very sanitary in my book..

Minuses:
- No aircondition! Riga is very hot in june, july and august (the temperature is high even when the sky is gray). The window didn't open, so my only airsupply was the balcony door. I did not want to sleep with it open, so be warned. If you are there during summer, the room is gonna get hot.
- Bad restaurant - stay away!
- Bad location. No view, no shops nearby and away from both Old and New Riga.
- Elevators are really slow and very, very small.

All in all - not a hotel I would recommend if you are looking for a luxuryfeeling, but if you just need a bed and a bathroom, it is ok. Take a taxi to old Riga for some shopping, it will cost you about 2,5 lats.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank tuppetroll
Reviewed 18 July 2010

The hotel was very clean, comfortable, offered free wifi, and a good breakfast

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo