“Easily missed if you don't look up”
Review of Cat House

US$90.21*
Private Riga Old Town Walking Tour
Ranked #24 of 231 things to do in Riga
More attraction details
Owner description: The story behind this unique architecture tells of its Latvian owner who was denied membership in the powerful Great Guild; to show his displeasure, he built two cat sculptures on his roof with their backsides facing the Guild and their tails straight up to finish the insult.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We decided to check the Cat House off our list toward the end of our day in Riga and discovered we had already passed it a few times. Interesting house and story, so make a point to notice it when you're there. Apparently, the Cat House cat is a symbol of Riga, judging from its popularity in the souvenir stores.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My friends and I just got a map from the tourist shop and found our own way around, which wasn't difficult. You basically just pass this by - it's not amazing but it's a quirky kind of thing to see while you make your way around elsewhere.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you know the story behind - it is really keen to see those black cats. But sometimes it appears, that you have already visited them without even knowing - when I decided to find this house, map showed, that I had passed that building several times already.

1  Thank RRika
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

interesting house followed up with intriguing story. located in the old part near the Powder Tower and St.Peter's Church.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was a little underwhelmed by this house. I think I expected it to be standing alone looking special, but it is just another house that happens to have a couple of cats on the roof. It is a funny story about the cats and we did walk by, but nothing special.

1  Thank Catherine2311