“beware of weekends”
Review of Hotel Bergs

Hotel Bergs
Ranked #3 of 111 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 20 March 2007

The hotel can best be described as "could be great, but". I booked a loft penthouse, pricey but great, two stories, balconies etc. The public rooms for hanging around in are mediocre (something called a library and another called something else), but during off hours you can get a drink or coffee and sit in the dining room which is very nice. And, with the two floor suite, who really needed public sitting rooms anyway?

The big problem is weekend nights. This area has a lot of nightclubs. At 5 am on Friday night/Saturday morning, I was awakened to the loudest neighbor I have ever experienced in a hotel. Seriously ear splitting music thumping my room, some smoke coming through the air ducts, etc. It seems that when the nightclubs close, some people with lots of money rent nice hotel suites to continue their parties (the staff told me this). So, at 5 am, I called and the hotel asked them to quiet down. At 6 am I called again (they were quieter but not quiet, or anything near to quiet) and the staff moved them down the hall so it became someone else's problem. On Saturday night/Sunday morning I was wakened at 3 am with a few loud bangs on the wall or on the floor from my new neighbor of that night. It happened a few more times between 3 am and 4 am, and I woke up each time. I can only think that some partying couple checked in at that time and were, shall we say, deeply engaged.

Anyway, the hotel was dead quiet on Thursday night and Sunday night, as I presume it was again a business hotel. This is obviously a major flaw, and I will be returning to my old haunt The Grand Palace in Old Riga (I thought I would try something new - foolish me.)

Stayed: March 2007
8  Thank dgb11201

Reviewed 4 February 2007

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Bergs over the New Year period. Hotel itself is in a lovely location, nice cobbled area, quaint little shops; near to the main train station for trains further afield, and large department store - Stokmanns.
Due to dietry restrictions, we had booked a room with a 'kitchen' and confirmed by email with the hotel, that there would be cooking facilities. However, when we arrived we were shown to a very nice room, with what they call a 'wet bar' - the area where you would have been able to cook had there been facilities to do so - there was nothing, not even a microwave or cutlery. When we complained, we were given a loft suite, which was very nice, however still only had two ring hob and a microwave, with limited cooking utensils.
Bathroom was lovely, some nice touches, however the underfloor heating got very hot - we had to lay a towel on the floor to walk on it.
Staff were courteous, some more so than others - as always in hotels.
Some noise from functions going on in the upstairs function-room, and also the adjacent bar.
Easy, pleasant walk to Riga Old Town, nice park area and river.

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank Moggsie
Reviewed 1 February 2007

This was our first stay in Riga. I was pleased by the cleanliness of the hotel, but the furnishings weren't entirely to my taste. The staff were reasonably helpful but didn't go out of their way to make us welcome.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeterAndrews
Reviewed 9 December 2006

first time in Riga and had seen previous reviews on this hotel. The service and attention to detail in this hotel is first class. Our bedroom was an excellent size with a balcony and had all the little extras you would expect from a 4* hotel. We were also on the top floor right next to the gym and the Sauna, which on every occasion we had to ourselves. The hotel boasts an excellent chef who creates masterpieces for a very reasonable price. The location of the hotel is perfect as it is not far from the old town and right next to the rail and bus stations should you wish to venture further.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
5  Thank sexyek
Reviewed 27 October 2006

Can't really add much to the plaudits. The Bergs is comfortably the most gorgeous hotel we've stayed in. Quite how we go back to Travelodges in the UK now, I don't know.
We also had an issue with noise, though. The Light bar in the square/bazar is open til 4am Friday and Saturday. We changed rooms at 3am Sunday morning to get some sleep. How they let this be a problem and don't sort it somehow I'm not sure. That said Fri and Sat are busy busy busy in Riga. Sunday and Monday were perfect. Room service good value and excellent. Gorgeous, but avoid weekends!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bobness
Reviewed 6 October 2006

Hotel Bergs is located in the posh Berga Bazaars shopping area in the new town, about ten mins leisurely walk from the old town. The hotel has only 38 rooms, suites more specifically, because they range from the size 45 m2 upwards. The hotel has an airy contemporary style with touches of Asia and Africa, beautiful and understated.

Service is definitely one of the strenghts of this boutique hotel. Even though the staff are all quite young, they are very professional and polite. I can honestly say that this hotel has the best service I've ever had in a hotel before. Starting from the reservation nothing was too much trouble and all our requests were handled promptly.

Our room was nice and spacious and it had everything we could've needed from bathrobes to a minibar with complimentary mineral water. The bathroom was huge with double vanities and had heated flooring. It also had an excellent ventilation, because even when taking a shower the mirrors didn't get steamy, but you still couldn't feel any draft. I also loved that they had a candle in the bathroom, and the bedside chocolates from Emihla Gustava were nice. The only downside was the bed, which was actually two matresses next to each other rather than a king size bed.

Breakfast was plentiful. There was everything from eggs and bacon to fresh fruits and pastries available and very nice coffee. We also dined at the hotel restaurant one evening and it was a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Blondiina
Reviewed 23 July 2006

An excellent hotel in every way. We stayed for 3 nights in July and would higly recommend Hotel Bergs. Lovely spacious rooms, professional staff and super breakfast. The location in the New Town area is also good for those who want to venture beyond the Old Town in Riga, but it's an easy 10 minute walk to the main sites.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple