“A nice, simple hotel”
Review of City Hotel Teater

City Hotel Teater
Ranked #27 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I only spent one night at the Bruninieks hotel before a longer stay at another hotel in Riga but I was pleased. It is a simple and comfortable hotel, also within walking distance to the main attractions in Riga.

The hotel consists of two buildings which are connected by a lobby with a glass roof. I found it quite interesting and as I read on the hotel website one of them is a completely renovated Art Nouveau building.

A colleague and I got a very big double room on the first/entrance floor. It was simple but clean and quiet. The bathroom was also big and fresh, with a shower and clean towels.

Internet is available in the lobby, free of charge, as well as in the rooms for a small fee. I think it cost me 2 LVL in the room, which is the equivalent of around 3 EUR or 4 USD.
There is a small luggage room on the entrance floor, modern furniture and a big TV screen in the lobby and plenty of tourist info at the reception desk. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The breakfast room on the top floor is not anything fancy and neither is breakfast itself, but it's good enough to start the day. There's bread, butter, cheese, ham, salami, boiled eggs, coffe and tea and so on. If I remember it well, only one of the two elevators goes all the way up to the breakfast room and breakfast is usually served from 7 or 7.30 in the morning.

I'm not quite sure whether there were few people staying there at the time, or if the rooms are properly sound-isolated, but it seemed very quiet, which made sleeping very easy.

I would recommend this hotel, the rates on the website are not very high and I'm sure it's a nice, simple alternative for a pleasant stay in Riga.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank cristinablendea
Nastasija M, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel Teater, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for you comment.
Now wi-fi internet is available free of charge in all hotel areas (in rooms as well).
The restaurant on the 7th floor is renovated and now it looks really fancy and elegant.
I hope you will come again to our hotel.

Have a nice day!

Reviewed 5 July 2011

Just returned from an 8 night stay at this hotel, our second visit in 2 years, and once again we were delighted with this hidden gem, situated on a reasonbly quiet one-way road within a comfortable 15 minute walk from the Freedom monument. We were 5 couples in Riga for a week of culture, sightseeing and longest day celebrations, and the staff really made us welcome. The rooms are large with plenty of storage space, a desk and chairs and each room has a full length mirror!! Not many 4* hotels supply those. Our room and huge bathroom was cleaned to a high standard daily. The reception/lobby staff were always cheerful and very helpful and even on the evenings when we returned fairly late, there was never a problem being served with drinks or coffee .

Breakfast is buffet style with a good variety including porridge, cereals, fresh fruit, preserves, hot dishes including eggs and sausages, pancakes and plenty of coffee and tea.

We will probably be returning to Riga in 2013 and will again stay at the City Hotel Bruninieks. It offers clean, welcoming accommodation in a nice quiet area at a fantastic rate - why pay more?

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mjacobsbros

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for a beautiful comment.
It is such a pleasure when people are coming back to visit our city and to stay in our hotel.
Please contact us to have a special price for your next visit to Riga.

Have a beautiful day!

Reviewed 16 July 2010

The room was quite big, with a desk and tv. The furniture was unpainted pine, a little 80-style. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom big enough with plenty of hot water in the shower. The remote control for my tv sas gone, however, and the bed lamp was without bulb (I took the bulb of the other lamp, however). It seemed very clean.

The new windows and a new elevator hinted at the hotel beeing refurbished relatively newly. The reception doubled as bar, and in the heatwave in July a cold beer tasted nice.

The hotel has no aircondition, which is normally not neccecary this far north. But during my visit, it would have been an advantage. I opened the two windows as much as they went and slept naked without blanket. Eventually, I fell asleep. I woke early, though, as my room faced the street (that is actually rather quiet at night).

The breakfast could have been better. They had bacon and scramblet eggs, but.. it didn't look very tempting. As other hotels have rolls, danishes, several bread types, they only had white and black (rye) bread, and it wasn't very fresh.

Althoug the breakfast room was big enough, the buffet area was cramped, and queues formed.

I came in to late to try the roof bar, which closes at 10 p.m.

For a nights sleep, what was what I was after, the hotel is good value for the money. But the breakfast was a disappointment. I only reluctantly recommend it, as they might have had a bad day in the kitchen.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2009

We arrived rather late - after 11 pm -, to be received by a very friendly night porter. The room was spacious, neat, clean and tidy, with an admirable hot water system. As we had selected a dead time in the year, the hotel was almost empty, and staff were extremely helpful, most of them speaking good English. The night porter is the exception: His only foreign language is Russian, but he goes to great lengths to understand any request and do his best.
The breakfast is definitely Latvian in character, good and plentiful.
The hop-on-hop-off city sightseeing buses stop right in front of the hotel, with tickets valid for 48 hours, so transport within the city is no problem; and even if you walk, you are at the Christmas Markets within ten minutes

We will definitely go back and stay longer!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I stayed here with my husband plus another couple for 6 nights in early September and was extremely surprised to find such good quality accommodation at such a low price. The rooms were very large with plenty of storage/wardrobe space plus a separate full length mirror, writing table and easy chairs and flat screen TV. The bathrooms have to be seen to be believed! I don't think I have ever seen such a huge corner bath in a hotel bathroom and there was still plenty of room: in fact I think I've stayed in smaller hotel bedrooms!! The rooms and bathrooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels supplied. The Reception area doubles as a small bar with plenty of comfortable seating and the front desk staff were delightful, spoke very good English and were always willing to help. The restaurant on the 7th floor has fantastic views over the Riga roof tops and served a very acceptable hot and cold buffet breakfast with enough variety to suit everyone.

The hotel is located in a good area near bus and tram stops. The Ravel Hotel with it's famous Skyline cocktail bar is only a 10 minute walk from the Bruninieks and Riga Old Town is just under 15 minutes walk if you prefer to take in the scenery.

We will be visiting Riga again in the future as one of our friends is Latvian, and will certainly stay at the Bruninieks as it is so convenient for transport links, sight-seeing and is extremely comfortable to return to at the end of the day. Our 6 night stay, including breakfast cost £271 per couple. I honestly can't fault it except it would be nice if there were tea/coffee making facilities in the room, but reception is open 24 hours and has coffee and tea available.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank mjacobsbros
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night and we were surprised to know that the rooms are so large!!!! Our room number was 406: there was a double bed, a table with the sofa and two chairs, wardrobe and TV, the bathroom was big enough too. Breakfast was good with plenty of food to choose : cheese and ham, bread, fruits, porrige, eggs in any form, juices, tea and coffee, cakes etc. I like the hotel and will certainly come back!!!! PS: the only thing I didn't lkike about it was that we had to pay for the parking place.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2008

Traveling the world with this Show we get our fair share of hotels.
And believe me for a 3 star hotel, this one scores pretty high in our long list of hotels. We read in a review that the staff was unpleasand. No way!! The thing is the language distance. If you talk slow-english they wil "defrost" after a few minutes. And tell you everything you need to know.We stayed there with 20 crewmembers and we all had a very fun/good time.All the staffmemebers are very nice to talk to ,and made shure we got a plaesand stay.

We even got a few staff members to come to the show(wich normaly never happens).

The oldtown is a 10 min. walk and, as we found out,the hotel is simple to find when very drunk haha

Also a very nice feature is the terrace on the roof complete with bbq and a 12 persons table and a view overlooking Riga.

Again this is veryvery good normal hotel. The show for next year is already booked. And we are looking forward to staying in the City Hotel again.

regards Sensation White Crew

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SensationCrew