“good location”

Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Moscow, Russia
“good location”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

It's a normal 3-star hotel with reasonable price. Our room was clean and good-looking, the only one minor claim was a view from the window to the other hotel near by. These two hotels are very close to each other and you may greet your neighbors from the opposite window. :)
The breakfast was average with poor choice and meals weren't very tasty. But, I used this place for a short stay as an intermediate point in my journey, that's why location was more important for me. And be sure it's extremely convinient. The hotel is located in 3-5 minutes walk from the main rail station and the central bus station is here too. So, all public transport (including buses from/to airport) goes not far from the hotel. And in the same time the hotel stays in the very begining of the Old City and could be good starting-point for your city walk.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Novosibirsk
Reviewed 28 October 2011

They just changed our room, reserved in this hotel, to another one without any warning. We've been told some stupid reason "in your room there is no water, go to another hotel" Obviousely, reason was overbooking

1st. They could just make a call beforehand, 'cause I would never live in this hotel where we were redirected. They didn't give us any choice and 4 p.m. was not good time for looking for other variants.

2nd. they canceled our reservation on the site, where we've made it, thus we could not write any feedback about this situation

3rd. I just hate lie...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank -_Aniuccia_-
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 October 2011

The Forums Hotel is an acceptable choice if you cannot find rooms in one of the really good hotels in the center of Old Town Riga. It was certainly an acceptable choice for me to move to after a terrifying experience at another Riga hotel.

My room was quite spacious with a lovely terrace that overlooked the roofs of Old Town. The bed was good with plenty of comfortable covers against the chilly nights.

Located on the edge of Old Town, Forums is a good base to walk that area; it is a 15 minute walk from the Jugendstil blocks; 5 minutes from the fascinating Central Market; and a 5 minute walk from the river.

Breakfast is not the best, but it is there as part of the room cost. No problem because there are several really nice places very close to the hotel to eat at any time of day.

Room Tip: If you can get one of the terrace rooms, you'll be quite happy!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank William B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We booked our hotel via lastminute. We stayed for 5 nights and were looking for a reasonably priced accomodation conveniently located in the old Town. The location of the hotel was perfect, if only they gave us (2 adults and a 6 year old girl) a family room and not a loft convertion without air condition. The room was incredibly hot and not much floor space to walk straight. The view from the window was onto a dirty water reservoir which attracted mosquitos, and they charged us for every single water we drank. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. If you have the choice, take your breakfast somewhere else!

Nevertheless, Riga is a beautiful city and has a lot to offer, among it many other lovely hotels!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank LizAv_11
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 14 December 2010

During a business trip in Riga with a colleague we decide to rent a double room at hotel Forums the room was comfortable but was a bit small. Due the average cost per room being 45€ (not properly cheap for the quality of the rooms) I decide to move to a single room and have more privacy.
For my surprise once I got my new room that was completely different from the previous one with very old furniture and a bad smell. I went back at the reception and request for other room but was no rooms ready and the hotel manager said that she will take care of the bad smell. Once I return back in the afternoon the room was even more smelly my colleague who was just on transit to his room after stop by my room was completely annoyed at the bad smell coming from the drain and advise me to move room. We went together to the reception and he did the speech about a room move, and the manager refused and with a smile guarantee that she will take care of the issue. Once we return back from dinner the room was even more smelly and this time already attached to my clothes. I request my money back or a room move. The new receptionist said that she doesn't have single rooms and there is a price difference for a double room. I request for a solution for my problem, but she did not know at to do, I request for the manager on duty but the answer was that the manager was already at home. Without solutions I request a room move and to speak with the manager in the morning. Once i move room was also a little smell this time not so intense but during the night the intensity increase to a level I had to open the room window to refresh the room and let the cold air and snow come in to take the bad smell.
After a terrible night I went to the reception to speak with the manager but she completely ignore my bad experience and insist I will have to pay the difference for the room move.
My colleague and I even try to explain to the manager about the bad effect this may could have and that the answer we got back -"you have to understand our situation we will have to clean 2 rooms now and pay for the laundry, we cannot be responsible for the smell coming from the drain". I explain to the manager that I had a terrible night, my clothes are smelly and I will have some meetings and the money for the difference was not the problem I will pay. -So I paid for avoiding more discussion and I move hotel.

Ps. -I found out all the third floor smells, and there is more clients complaining about the same issue...

-The manager won she got the 7.5€ difference for the new room.

-I also like to mention the receptionists are very friendly and trying to give a good service shame the management did not take care of my problem and create an opportunity from the problem.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank DarcioKitesurf
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The hotel is in the Old Town of Riga.
The location is perfect, close to all the cultural sites and also to the bus station.
The Hotel is nice, small and cozy. The double room we stayed was a junior double, so not one of the big ones, but still it was decently sized and everything was very well kept, the bathroom looked a little bit older, probably the room was painted and renovated quite recently, while the bathroom wasn't, still it was not bed at all.
The bed was a well sized double bed , quite comfotable for me...
The service was good, both at the reception and in the breakfast room the girls were kind and helpful
The breakfast wasn't a buffet one, you can choose from 3 breakfast menu options. The one i choose was tasty and rich enough.
The price was fair, i booked on internet on a price lower than the one advertised on the hotel website, also it was lower than the the one that most of the international booking websites were offering, so it was very good in my opinion, i think normally, especially in the high season, the price is higher.
I would suggest it for travellers that wants very central location, good value and quality.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teosm
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The hotel has an excellent location - the market place is just on the other side and to the other direction, the whole old town. At the end of a small street, there were no traffic at all. A very central but quiet location all in all.
The hotel is small, quit clean (of course some sign of tear) and service was friendly.
We had a double room and it was small, but enough since all we did in the room was sleep anyway. The bed was a bit hard and not so good for my bad back, but we stayed only for two nights so it was fine. A longer stay and it would have killed my back completely...
The bathroom was spacious compared to the size of the room and had a bath, and it was clean. There were plenty of hot water.
The breakfast room is small and the breakfast consisted of 3 different menus. Not a huge breakfast, but quite enough for an adult. For example menu 2 was coffee/tea, eggs (boiled, fried or omelet) or sausage, 2 slices of toast with butter and cheese. And there were a few fruits on the tables.
There was supposed to be free WLAN, but at least at the moment it wa out of order...
All in all, I think a good deal for the money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple