“Good value and location”

Krisjanis & Gertrude
Ranked #26 of 62 Riga B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Good value and location”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Pros: excellent price, very large room, computer for guests, good location, decent breakfast

Cons: decor is dated and a little ragged. I don't care too much about the looks as long as it is clean and comfortable but things like torn and stained carpet are a negative. Place could be great with some new paint, flooring and textiles.

Overall it was good for the price. If you want simple and affordable then consider staying here.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pugman24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Connecticut
Reviewed 30 September 2010

What a wonderful little place. Solvita and Inara (and the rest of the gracious staff) run a lovely little B&B. It is not a fancy place with marble and gold -- just a modest townhouse with everyday furnishings. You will not have wood floors or fancy carpeting, but all is comfortable.

The location is good and you can walk to most tourist sights. Inside, there is a cozy common area with a piano and a kitchen off to the side where you can prepare simple meals if you wish. A mall with a decent supermarket is just across the street. You can avail yourself of free coffee and tea all day. A phone and a computer are at your disposal if you need to surf/email or make local calls.

But what really stands out is the excellent customer service. Because we were traveling with two young children, they upgraded us to the very spacious triple rooms. After breakfast the first morning, Solvita made nice suggestions for family outings and recommended places to dine without my asking her to do so. And when our daughter spoiled her shirt at breakfast one morning, Inara offered to throw the clothes into the wash. Really thoughtful.

Finally, we extended our stay the last minute but then had to leave that afternoon because of lack of availability on a bus. We were astounded to hear at 4PM that the hotel would give the afternoon free because they had had no other booking so there was no opportunity cost.

Also, our young son broke an inexpensive window-treatment accessory and we fully expected to pay for replacing it. We even pointed out the damage. But we realized after check out that they had charged us nothing. Really admirable and generous in every way.

A few things some might wish to know: the windows at the hotel are VERY good and you won't hear much unless you are very sensitive to noise. But you will feel the vibration from the trams once in a while during the day when they operate. And while the single beds were extremely comfortable, I was able to detect the coils through the double mattresses with my hand. But fortunately, I was not able to discern them while sleeping/lying in bed. And as the place is a small B&B, there is no lift/elevator to the third floor where the rooms are.

All in all, one of the two most gracious and generous hotels I have been to in over 30+ countries. I HIGHLY recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ClassicsReader
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 17 August 2010

I arrived in the place at 6 AM. The front door was open so I entered and went to the 2nd floor, where the reception is located. Of course, no one was there in the reception, although they previously asked me by mail at what time I would be arriving so they could be prepared. I got there earlier than expected, so that's why nobody was there. At 7:30, a lady came and the first thing she did was to offer me a cup of coffee. She apologized as my room wouldn't be ready until noon, since I was checking in that day. But when she realized how tired I was (as I had travelled all the night) , she offered a little private room (probably for the staff) where I could rest until my room was prepared. Of course I accepted and slept there until 11 AM. When I got up, she told me that my room was ready and she offered to have breakfast. I had only reserved for one night but I got almost two nights. I was given a big room with a very high quality queen size bed. Although the place is just a B&B, it's much better that many hotels 3 and even 4 stars I've been.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Moisex
München
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We found this place on our first morning in Riga purely by chance after discovering that where we had booked in advance was not what we expected. Krisjanis and Gertrude was half the price, and with such a pleasant atmosphere. One lady was able to answer any question we had in German, and another spoke English like a real Lady. They gave us some good tips about concerts and where to find the art galeries. I only wish that they had a name that was easier to remember, so I can book there next time.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank petra_gzn
Sweden
Reviewed 13 January 2008

We chose Krisjanis & Gertrude mainly for the price and wasn't expecting much, to be honest. For us it turned out to be perfect.

We liked that it was small, meaning less people running around in the hallways at night. We liked the rooms, they were clean and matched a standard hotel room. We liked to be almost alone in the breakfast room, being served by the girl from the reception. No frills, but a whole lot for the money. And the location ain't bad either, a 10 minutes walk from the old town. It was nice to leave all the tourists behind when going "home" in the evening.

If I need to point out one thing that wasn't perfect: The bathroom was modern and clean but I could see some black mold in the shower. If they remove that I can't find anything negative to say about this place.

• Liked — Small, clean, cheap.
  • Disliked — Mold in the shower.
  • Stayed October 2005, travelled with friends
4 Thank travelvoz
Reading
Reviewed 4 November 2007

I am glad that I came to this place. It was recommended by a musician friend. Nice breakfast, with the sun streaming in though the window, and real flowers on the tables. The room was clean and I slept well.

• Liked — Good atmosphere
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Peterlld
Surrey
Reviewed 25 November 2006

I can thoroughly recommend B&B Krisjanis & Gertrude. I go to Riga a couple of times a year on business, and also like to include the weekend especially if there is a good concert or opera. What I like about Krisjanis & Gertrude is that I always feel at home. The rooms are clean, everything is in its place, and the are beds comfortable. There is a spacious and nicely decorated common room where breakfast is served and with Internet so I can check my e-mail. I think that the kind and helpful staff together with the pleasant surroundings leads to a relaxed atmosphere. Krisjanis & Gertrude is no-smoking and quite small so is maybe not optimum for everyone. For me that is great. Before I knew about Krisjanis & Gertrude I stayed in a mixed bunch of hotels in Riga, many rather more costly and yet not as good. I also like the fact that at Krisjanis & Gertrude there is a kettle so that you can make a cup of tea in the room. I have rarely seen that outside the UK.

One word of warning, if you have not been before it can be a bit hard to find the entrance. The address in Krisjana Barona iela 39 but the entrance is round the corner in the cross street Gertrudes iela. Even a new sign that I noticed on my last trip does not help if you are looking in the wrong street. The search is worthwhile.

Another guest once showed me a German travel guide book which described B&B Krisjanis & Gertrude as the "secret tip" when booking a trip to Riga. I agree.

• Liked — I feel comfortable there
  • Disliked — Narrow staircase hard to climb with bags
  • Tips/Secrets — The entrance is not in the same street as the address would suggest.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business