“Not the best hotel, but OK” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars

Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars
Ranked #31 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Malmo, Sweden
“Not the best hotel, but OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Note before you start your stay:
The jaccuzi is only open 2h in the evening; do not plan to relax during the days...
Make sure to close the bathroom door, don't the odour in to your bedroom.
An average hotel in total.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Swedell,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. Our Jacuzzi is open everyday between 17 and 21, I am sorry if you have been misinformed. I do apologies about the odur from the bathroom, to bad we weren’t informed before now. If we would have known whilst you where still in the hotel we would have course have offered you another room and would have been able to find the source of the odur. If you are coming back to us and are dissatisfied please don’t hesitate to bring it to our attention, we would have been delighted to help you out.
Kind regards,
Helen – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Friendly atmosphere,near the city center and the art-nouveau buildings. There is no bath in the bathroom but there is the whirlpool in the sauna. Quiet place. There was an airportservice and they arrange tickets for a concert in Guild Hall.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Wilhelmus H
Dear Wilhelmus H,
Thank you for taking you time to write such a nice review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you enjoyed the friendly atmosphere in the hotel. We think it is important to help our guests out with services outside the hotel as well as inside so that our guests can get the most out of their visit in Riga. Don’t hesitate to ask us again if you are planning to come back to Riga.
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

The hotel is conviniently situated 10 minutes walk from the Old town of Riga, the rooms are clean and comfortable. The food was nice. The hotel has a small fitness room, sauna and jakuzzi.
All in all is a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Alex K,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars and for writing a review of your stay at Tripadvisor. I think you have made a short but yet summary of what our hotel has to offer.
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a brillient stay at this hotel. The staff were friendly and very helpful. the 1st night we arrived, we were given a room at the front of the hotel on the main road. As im a light sleeper i found it hard to get to sleep with the road noise, so i left my room mate asleep and went to the front desk to enquire about some earplugs. The receptionist said they did not have ear plugs, but i could have another room. When i explained my friend was asleep and i didn't want to wake her to swap rooms, she said not a problem , she wanted me to have a good nights sleep , so my friend could stay where she was and i could have a room at the back, then my friend could move the next day. I was very happy at this idea, and very thankful for it. (i have never had a hotle offer this before).

Hotel provides a nice buffet breakfast, beans, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, toast, breads, fruits, etc and in the evening a meal, 1 meat , pasta/potatoes and one veg, with salad and breads and cheeses and 1 dessert . In the afternoon, they provide a waffle maker, and waffle batter so you can make yourself an afternoon snack. they also put jam and honey along side them.
The best thing that we found was they had tea and coffe on tap, you could pop into the restrauant and get a cup of tea, from a selection of teabags. They even supplied take out cups, so we could make a cup and take it with us.

Hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the old town, across the park. They offer free wifi throughout the hotel and they have a jaquzzi and a gym.

Room Tip: If your a light sleeper ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the main road.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TrekkieStar
Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Trekkiestar,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review of your stay at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you had a brilliant stay in our hotel. We always try our best to make sure our guests gets the most out of their stay with us.
Kind regards,
Redditch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Old Town but passing through gardens which house an art museum being renovated for next year and Riga's Nativity of Christ Cathedral and a bit further on The Freedom Monument all of which need to be seen anyway.

Staff were very welcoming and all that we dealt with were very friendly. Once leaving reception though I felt the hotel very cold and lacking in any decoration. Rooms were adequate but nothing to enthuse about.

The breakfast buffet was good with hot and cold food. A bonus if trying to do Riga on a budget or not wanting to try restaurants out was the complimentary dinner. We did not partake of it but many people were and it looked good and substantial.

Worth a stay at the right price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Midlandvoyager,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you experienced the staff to be welcoming and friendly. We are always try to do our best to make our guest feel welcome and at home, whilst staying with us. The free breakfast and evening meal are also part of the added the little extra service to our guests to make you feel taken care of while staying in our hotel.
Warmest,
Redditch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Had a 2 night weekend stay and really liked it. Location great with a 10 minute walk to old town. Very pleasant ambience with smart, minimalist decor. Super breakfast and free buffet available all day. Free speedy wifi and decent facilities. Just smallish bedroom and slightly tired bathroom preventing 5 stars but please don't be put off. I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mikechesterton,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review of your stay at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars on tripadvisor. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the complimentary food concept that the Clarion Collection Hotels offers. We are currently going through all our bathroom and have started to renovate them, so next time you are coming back you will hopefully have anew bathroom.
Warmest,
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is a rather long review so for those that don’t have the time to read it, I’ll give you the short version. Great hotel! The staff is VERY friendly and helpful. Great location. Only negative I could find would be the cleaning of our suite. A lot of what I have below are NOT complaints. Just observations.

We stayed in Suite 412 from Oct. 12 - 18, 2014. The furniture is in need of cleaning or updating (picture included). The bed is one mattress, not 2 singles pushed together (Hooray! I hate falling down in the crack) and it was very comfortable. There are plenty of comfortable pillows. The room was VERY warm even with heat turned off. Lots of traffic going by at night, we can definitely hear it with all the windows closed. Once we were asleep it didn’t bother me unless it was a police car or ambulance. If we come back again I will certainly ask for a room facing the courtyard instead of the street. I thought for sure that we were the only ones on our floor as we never heard anyone else, but I did notice the “Do Not Disturb tassels” (Very cute! They don’t have signs, they have tassels that you hang on your door if you don’t want to be disturbed) on many of the doors each morning so I was really surprised that I never heard anyone coming and going.

No clocks in room but plenty of outlets for plugging in phones or tablets for sound machines and such.

Bathroom: definitely needs better cleaning!! There was black mold around the tiles. (I’ve included 2 pictures) The tub is VERY high and could be difficult to get into. We have traveled with my mother-in-law many times and if she had come this time she would have been unable to get into the shower. I believe they do have rooms with only showers though, so if this is an issue I would advise you to notify them when you book your room. I’ve included a picture of it with my tall UGG boot next to it so you can get an idea of how tall it is.

The bedroom is in a large room (with no closet or drawers) separate from the rest of the suite with a door to close it off. Nice because hubby got up early for work each morning so I didn’t hear him getting ready. Only 7 hangars – could have probably asked for more. We were here for 7 days so his business clothes used them all up.

The hairdryer was a normal one, definitely MUCH better than some hotels where it puts out almost no heat and you have to keep one hand on the button or it shuts off. It would have been nice if there was an outlet by the full length mirror so I could do my hair while hubby was fogging up the mirrors in bathroom. There is an outlet behind the sofa so if we come again, I would probably bring an extension cord just for the added convenience.

The safe is very small. My tablet would not fit in it.

No iron or ironing board. You could probably ask for one at the front desk but we didn’t need one.

Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel.

The employees were VERY friendly, excellent English. Everyone was always smiling and very helpful. There is a place right around the corner that does mani/pedis and massages but they don’t speak English. I went back to talk to the girl at the desk and she suggested Park Spa, she called and made the appointment and asked them to come and pick me up at the hotel! I’ve also done a TA review on the Spa if you are interested.

Sauna and Jacuzzi: I was really looking forward to spending some time here while hubby was working but it’s only open from 5-10 p.m. The sauna was aromatic and perfect. The Jacuzzi however is only lukewarm at best. When I sat down in it I actually got Goosebumps. I wish it had been hot. We had some problems with the lights the 2 times we went down. It was really dark and the lights were not on so we would have to feel along the walls to find the switches. Some of the lights came on automatically when the door opened but not all of them.

Breakfast: 2 types of juices, fresh apples, oranges, pears; cut-up fruit which was always changing but during our stay it rotated from: melon, grapefruit, oranges, watermelon, canned pineapple, peaches, pears; porridge with 2 different fruit compotes you can add, dried prunes, raisins, apricots, brown sugar, 4 different types of fish to include herring & smoked salmon, 4 different kinds of sliced meat, one cheese, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, bacon, sausages (not U.S. breakfast type), baked beans, veggies, coffee, 6 different types of hot tea, fresh loaves of bread, pastries, 2 yogurt drinks, cottage cheese and 3 types of cold cereal. There is a honey pot next to the coffee/hot water machine. They also had to-go cups so you can grab a cup of coffee and take it with you when you go out.

Snacks: Tea & Coffee available 24/7. Fresh make it yourself waffles with fruit topping from 3-6.

Dinner: variety of cheeses and crackers, salads, fresh breads, one entrée with rice/veggies plus one dessert. Buffet, come and go as you please from 6-9.

Bottom line – we really like almost everything about the hotel. I just think that since we were in a suite the furniture should have been a little better and the shower should have been a lot cleaner. Would we stay here again? Yes, if we could get the back of the hotel. The staff was SO friendly. I’m not sure we’ve ever been in a hotel where they seemed so happy to see us! Passing them in the hall, people smiled and said hello. If I could make one suggestion it would be to have the sauna and Jacuzzi open for a few hours in the morning too … and have the temp turned up for the water (and do a better job cleaning the showers).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank natowife
Helen H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Natowife,
Thank you for taking your time to write a very detailed review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. It seems to me that you are well traveled and put attention to all the small details that makes to big difference. You have lots of good points and I will go through your review with my management team.