“Nice hotel for nice people”

Ranked #20 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 6 September 2010

The best ratio price/quality. Hotel in downtown, free wi-fi, free sauna&jaccuzi, HB - all of this for very reasonable price. Charming design, qualified stuff. The only minus - no parking.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
ZaneBusa, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2010

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review!

My only comment is regarding parking - we actually have a parking, but it is located ~3 min walking distance (one block away) from our hotel. It is 24hours guarded parking lot where we suggest our guests to park their vehicles.

We are located in the city centre and as in all big towns, parking is an issue. So, next time you're in Riga, please contact reception desk and they will provide you with directions of our parking lot.

Hope to see you some other time!

Greetings from Riga,

Reviewed 28 August 2010

I'm reluctant to endorse it because it was so awsome I'm afraid everyone will hear about it and then it will get so popular that I won't be able to get a room there. BUT, I must be honest and say it is truly a wonderful place. I am amazed that the taxi driver had never heard of it. At first I thought that was a bad sign, but I was wrong. He just didn't know about this gem.

I believe some hotels have an airport shuttle - this is not one. I looked for ones that did, but I settled on this hotel (thankfully) after just needing to make a decision and pick a place. On the plane (AirBaltic) I purchased two taxi rides [a strange inflight shopping item] and that turned out to be a worthwhile value. It may not have saved a lot, but it provided peace of mind.

Arrived in time for buffet dinner, but had to leave early before breakfast. The dinner was wonderful and I did see some of the prep for breakfast so I'm sure I would have enjoyed it as well. Also, because of my early departure they provided a sack breakfast (actually, it was really more lunch type items [two sandwiches, fruit, and a juice]) which was quite nice to have.

Also enjoyed the workout room and large jacuzzi. Didn't have time for the sauna. Probably would have enjoyed running in the area; it looked nice and was close to the "Old Town". The room info mentioned that the staff would have been able to suggest places to run - however, my stay was too short.

Here's another bonus: coffee 24 hrs a day. And not just lousy coffee, but really good, bold coffee.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank KeynoteMrEd
ZaneBusa, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for such a nice feedback regarding your stay at our hotel!

It is really true - if you are interested in combining two positive activities: jogging and sightseeing, we have a map of jogging tracks that we recommend to our guests. Maps are available in the reception (together with a reflective jacket for your safety while jogging).

We hope that you will choose our hotel again for your next visit to Riga!

With best regards,
General manager

Reviewed 27 August 2010

I have been with you both as a private guest and on business, for many many years. I have seen how enormously the hotel has developed, in all fields - room standards, management, reception of guests, attitudes. What I have come to appreciate most is the combination of professial service AND the family like atmosphere which meets you on entering the doors... Internet facilities, so important for all generations, run smoothly.
For my purposes, both as a tourist in Riga and the business I am in, the location is just perfect.You reach the Old City comfortably by walk. With your eyes open you can also just start your walking trip from the hotel into the immediate surrounding and get to know this fascinating, World Heritage ranked city, its history and remarkable architecture.
A detail on the negative side: It was a bit crowded in the breakfast room last time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

we all thank you for posting this nice review!

We are trying hard, so our guests can enjoy friendly service and cozy atmosphere, it makes me really glad that you felt it while staying at our hotel!

With warm greetings,

Reviewed 25 August 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August 2010 in a single room with en-suite shower and toilet. The decor is in the typically minimalist style which seems common among Nordic/Baltic countries. My room was on the second floor, facing a spacious internal courtyard; nothing to complain. It was silent, spacious, the towels were soft and the shower, the bed and the floor were all spick and span. The only small comment is that the room was rather spartan in decor however I was there to visit Riga and the Valdemars hotel did its main duty which was to give me a safe, clean roof over my head for my stay for a reasonable price. Thumbs up for the lovely people at reception; their warm welcoming smile and helpful problem-solving attitude were so appreciated by this traveller. Other plus points are: location (15 min walk to old city centre) and free tea and coffee at reception. Would certainly consider staying there again on my next visit. One tip: if the banks are closed and you need to change money try the Gallerija centre in the old town. There's a bank that is open until 8pm and charges a nominal 50 latvian centimes fee to exchange money; much less than the exchange bureaus in the streets of the old town which run a complete racket in commission fees/charges.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank jojo589

Dear, Guest,

thank you for your kind review!
We all hope to see you again some other time!

With greetings from Riga,
Generla manager

Reviewed 21 August 2010

This family-owned hotel in the city of Riga is very cosy, just excellent. We have stayed at hotel Valdemars many times and we always feel that special welcome from the friendly staff. The hotelrooms are nicely decorated, with nice bathrooms. The beds are very comfortable too. We always stay at Hotel Valdemars when we are visiting Riga. Looking forward until the next visit!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2010

My collegues and I were extremely satisfied. Excellent service and a location as goog as it can get. Above all, it is really value for money!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2010

we travelled to Riga for a break,on the cheap ,flying with Ryan air for a three night stay - arriving on Friday we first had a look around the outside airport museum - which we would recommend - as its cheap and some of the old planes and helicopters on the site are quite amazing! we took a taxi into the Riga town ( please be aware that we paid 25 Lats to get into Riga but only 7 lats back! so watch those cabbies! - suggest you get the Baltic cabs - they are the green ones) When we arrived at the Hotel Valdemars - we found out that the booking.com website had not placed our booking correctly ( and had not informed us prior to leaving for our holiday!) so we did not have a booking - but the receptionist could not have been more helpful and she got us booked in and onto the sixth floor - it turned out we were the only ones on this floor - which was quite useful when we arrived back on our second night - a little noisy! the lifts are very fast and so getting to the sixth floor never proved a problem.
the hotel has a lovely back courtyard that guests can sit in and 'chill' it has nice garden furniture including those big bean bags that are sooooo comfortable. The spa and the steam room and fitness suite is practically brand new - and well worth a visit if you get the chance - they give you a key and you can go visit - there are lockers and loads of towels that you can use - no charges and everything is available for you to shower and get changed afterwards.

Tea and coffee is always available in the reception,( no tea or coffee in the rooms) the free fruit was nabbed quite quickly by the guests - pears and apples were huge!

The hotel decor is nice, the communial areas are small but atractive.

The best bit by far in this hotel is the food! the breakfast is very good indeed - cereals, make your own muesli ( with all the dried fruits etc), porridge, cold meats, spreads ( even caviar!) cakes, pastries, fruit, and bacon, sausage, eggs, boiled and scrambled - bread rolls and toast, three different types of bread, plus the jams and preserves. It is buffett style , help yourself and is constantly replenished. The best bit is that the breakfast does not finish till after 10am weekdays and 11am weekends - a definite plus in my book!

The free dinner in the evening is what sold the hotel to us, as we were on a limited budget - we ate out once and ate in twice- starters of soup, and salads and the main being meat and three veg, plus two or three sweet choices and cheeses and loads of biscuits - again buffet style- it was constantly replenished and the area was kept very clean and in the evening the tables were laid out with serviettes. The meal went on from 6pm - 9pm - which again was very handy if you had been out for the day!

The hotel is a seven minute walk away from the old Riga town - and please do not let this put you off as the walk through the gardens and parks is wonderful - Riga is full of parks! keep an eye out for all the many statues dotted around the place!
I am so pleased that we visited RIGA - it is a beautiful city - with some absolutely spectacular architecure and buildings - quite breathtaking - the people are very very friendly and because they dont have the euro yet - it is reasonable too!
Visit the sky bar - make sure that you do the full route of the old Riga town and dont forget the art nouveux buildings two minutes walk away from the Hotel Valdemars -

we did do a boat ride around the canal - but although the boat was nice the canal ride is probably not the best way to see the sights - I think the bus would be better!

If you have time do a day trip to Jamarla - well worth a visit!

Hotel Valdemars was definitely a good choice for us and we felt quite at home there - just wish we could have stayed longer! but one day we will go back!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kimberly38
ZaneBusa, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Dear Guest,

thank you for your nice review and really good tips that you are mentioning!

Hope to welcome you some other time, for longer stay! :)

Greetings from Riga,