“A Holocaust site that needs to be visited”

Bikernieki Memorial
Wakefield, MA
260 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 479 helpful votes
“A Holocaust site that needs to be visited”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The Bikernieki (Bikernieku) Forest was the largest mass killing site in Latvia during the Holocaust. It is here that more than 35,000 people were killed from 1941-1944, most of them Jewish. There are 55 mass graves located throughout the forest which are marked by rectangular concrete borders.

When I visited the Bikernieki Memorial I had just come from the Rumbula Forest Memorial. Honestly, I didn't think that I could be any more moved than I was there, but once I got to the Bikernieki Forest and started walking around and seeing mass grave after mass grave I was totally speechless and as my husband can attest that doesn't happen too often. You need to visit this memorial.

The memorial is located on Bikernieku iela / P2 and the GPS coordinates are
Lat: 56.9630226 Lon: 24.2104820 according to the website that I used for finding the memorial.

You will see a white Archway on the side of the road which is the entrance to the memorial. Follow the stone path and it will lead you to it. The memorial is a white altar with a black granite block with words from the Book of Job. There are jagged rocks representing the people who died there and plaques that tell the names of the cities that the victims came from. There are paths that lead off to the mass graves.

Visited August 2013