“Incredibly Moving”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Incredibly Moving”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Do take the time to visit this holocaust memorial and remember those who lost their lives. You can see the Arch from Bikernieku iela, and there are a few car parking spots. GPS coordinates:
Latitude: 56.9630226
Longitude: 24.2104820

Visited July 2014

Pennsylvania
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Very moving but hard to find”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is a very moving memorial and worth an effort to see, but we found it very difficult to find. My Garmin GPS didn't have it under Points of Interest. The coordinates on the Wikipedia page point to the middle of the forest not to the Memorial. Google maps has a listing only for the forest (although we met two people trying to find the memorial at those coordinates). Local people didn't seem to know much about it. It can be seen from Bikernieki iela (street). I am sorry I did not note the GPS coordinates. From the Riga Motor Museum at S Eizensteina 6 go toward Bikernieki iela and turn right. The memorial is a few block down on the left. Look for two approximately 5 ft, inscribed black stone panels and a white arch marking the entrance.

Visited June 2014
Wakefield, MA
260 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 476 helpful votes
“A Holocaust site that needs to be visited”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The Bikernieki (Bikernieku) Forest was the largest mass killing site in Latvia during the Holocaust. It is here that more than 35,000 people were killed from 1941-1944, most of them Jewish. There are 55 mass graves located throughout the forest which are marked by rectangular concrete borders.

When I visited the Bikernieki Memorial I had just come from the Rumbula Forest Memorial. Honestly, I didn't think that I could be any more moved than I was there, but once I got to the Bikernieki Forest and started walking around and seeing mass grave after mass grave I was totally speechless and as my husband can attest that doesn't happen too often. You need to visit this memorial.

The memorial is located on Bikernieku iela / P2 and the GPS coordinates are
Lat: 56.9630226 Lon: 24.2104820 according to the website that I used for finding the memorial.

You will see a white Archway on the side of the road which is the entrance to the memorial. Follow the stone path and it will lead you to it. The memorial is a white altar with a black granite block with words from the Book of Job. There are jagged rocks representing the people who died there and plaques that tell the names of the cities that the victims came from. There are paths that lead off to the mass graves.

Visited August 2013