“Small but nice.”

Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Tropea, Italy
“Small but nice.”
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We went with the "Classic" double rooms. They were both on the first floor and overlooked the inner courtyard. Everything was clean, modern and efficient. Great AC and air flow. The bathroom was particularly nice with a large sink and counter space. The shower was big enough for a small party. The room itself was not. We needed to unpack our bags because we needed to get them out of the way. A great place to sleep and clean up but no place to party or sit with friends. It was easy to stub your toe on the way to the bathroom at night.
One of the best breakfasts we had in the Baltic. Several types of eggs, sausage and potatoes every morning along with cereal, fruit, yogurt and real coffee! Staff were helpful, but cool. If you are looking for a great location, clean modern room and don't plan to do much other than sleep in the room, this is a great choice.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 4 August 2011

this hotel has a lovely lobby and bar as well as an outdoor garden bar area. The staff are kind and helpful. My issues started probably by my own fault. I booked a room through booking.com and chose a smaller room as I was alone. it was a very cheap price. When I arrived, I found out why. I was led to a room in the back of the hotel that resembled a russian grandmother's guest room with an old bed, no AC, old TV, etc etc. I nearly passed out. I went back to the front desk and asked for a better room no matter the cost. I was given a junior suite for double the price (the only available room) and only for one night. I would then have to switch to a classic room the next day. the suite was fine, no more than a normal hotel room. I was a little shocked the next morning though when i finished my shower and found a lot of short hair in the tub that resembled mine! i thought I was losing my hair (and my mind). well after lots of rubbing I realized that the hair was not mine. sort of gross. So I packed up my bags and the sent them to the new room upon my return from touring. The new room was fine, except that there was a consistent noise like a flushing toilet which I figured out was the vent. Now I don't mind noise like that so I didn't complain but someone else would. So there you have it. I actually think this place would be well reviewed by most because its lovely and well located in the lovely old town Riga. But it must have been bad luck.

Room Tip: Do not get the cheapest room or you will have an experience like mine
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank wabitop
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The place has a lot of character. Will definitely be back.
Hotel staff is very professional.
Breakfast room is small but cosy. Especially loved black suede sofas in reception (I want to buy the same ones for my house in London) and brick walls.

Room Tip: Ask for superior room with brick wall, they are very nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnaG2011
Watford
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Situated in Old Riga, Latvia, close to the freedom monument, restaurants, shops and smart street traders, this slick hotel incorporates the old and modern in its design. Staff are friendly, facilities are faultless; these include a modern well stocked bar and bar area, an open air atrium, where one can sit and relax, also a modern restaurant serving fine food and wine. I believe it deserve its status in Expedia as one of the top 500 hotels in the world, so if you are staying in Riga, I would highly recommend a stay here.

Riga itself was busy, with lots of traders selling amber. There was a distinctive Nordic feel to the place, not surprising its close proximity to Finland. There was also much to see and do, whether you wanted a full guided tour, or preferred to make your own way around. At the time we travelled the exchange rate was not that great, however, we got great value when we were there and got allot more for our money. The weather was surprising though, as it reached a scorching 30 Degrees Celsius.

Fantastic city, fantastic people; we hope to return soon.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dannmckenzie
Miami
Reviewed 16 July 2011

For the rate I apid I had lower expectations. The place was very nice and staff was quite helpful. Restaurant food is very good, better than going to pricier places in town. MY room lacked a/c which I specifically requested, but other than that, it's a very good choice when in Riga

Room Tip: Great value
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 12 July 2011

A friend and I have just returned from a visit to Riga, where we stayed at Old City Boutique Hotel. This is a 4-star hotel located in Riga’s Old Town, within walking distance of everything in the Old Town. It has a generally modern design, but with original brickwork both in the hotel lounge and in some of the guest rooms – and the effect is beautiful. We stayed on the 7th floor, which meant taking the elevator to the 6th floor and then a narrow winding staircase to the 7th – which is, of course, something to be aware of for the movement impaired. The hotel porter brought our luggage to and from the room, though, as a matter of course.

The room was a Superior Double Room with terrace, which turned out to be a wonderful, big roof-top terrace with two chairs and a table. The room itself was quite modern and very nicely furnished, and the air conditioning was blissfully effective on a hot July day! (We understand not all rooms come with air conditioning though, so be sure to ask about that when booking, if you want it.)

The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful, with an attitude towards solving any issue in favour of the customer, as far as possible. We would happily come back to the Old City Boutique Hotel for a second stay, and we highly recommend it to others!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mzchf
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Very nice, quiet and clean hotel. Good size rooms but bed were very hard. Breakfast was exellent.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family