“Great location and value for money”

Old City Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Cork, Ireland
“Great location and value for money”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

The major pros of the hotel:

- Location. In the historical centre of Riga, but not too far away so that you get lost in the maze of the street, or have to drag your suitcases around on the cobbled street. It is also within a 5 second walk from the "Galerija Centrs" shopping centre, which has everything you need - clothes shops, food shops, bank, souveniers - you name it. The hotel does not offer much of a view out of the windows - you'll either face the inner yard, or the small Teatra street, but I personally use hotels for sleep, so I didn't care about the view anyway. In addition, all hotels with a view charge twice the price I paid for my room.

- Contemporary design. I sincerely hate the "classic" hotels, which bore me to death and have the "HOTEL" written all over them. This place was quite welcoming and not at all hotel-y. The rooms might be a bit too dark, but are nevertheless stylish, with sleek lines, well-coordinated color palette and design elements.

- Spotless upkeep and attentive staff. Not a spot of dust was in my room all the time.

- Huge bathtub.

- Food options. So far I can just confirm all the positive things previous reviewers mentioned. In addition to breakfast, hotel offers nice business-lunch options, which are VERY cheap for a restaurant in the middle of Old City - trust me, I have lived and worked in the center of Riga for 1.5 years in the past. I have even recommended this place to some of my ex-colleagues.

Cons:

- No tea/coffee making facilities. So far, this has been the greatest disappointment. Although I'm not that huge a fan of hotel teas, but the simple lack of option to have a cup of tea whenever I want drove me almost insane.

- Lighting. There are bedside lams, floor lamp, work table lamp and the ceiling lamp, but still, they all provide a rather dim and unwelcoming light (you know, the cold energy-saver type). The bathroom definitely deserves a better lighting options, otherwise it looks like a morgue or a horror movie set, and when looking in the mirror, you look tired and like a zombie. I would also love to have a more suitable reading light.

- Noises. Overall, the hotel was rather quiet, but I kept hearing random noises which sounded like water running through the pipes somewhere, mixed with some sort of humming, the aircon was noisy, the elevator signal was very annoying, especially when early morning breakfast exodus has begun. I guess this problem can be solved if you either beat everyone to the breakfast line, or move into room farther from the elevator.

- Single duvets. Again, not a huge deal, but I have spent all my conscious life sleeping under double duvets and sleeping under a single one was a bit odd for me, but I managed to re-adjust to it. Other than that, bedding was superb.

All in all, nothing life-threatening and "Old City" is a great hotel in great location and if I need to come to Riga once again, I will most probably use this hotel as well (and will bring my kettle with me :D ).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank blackbodhi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
Reviewed 4 October 2010

A great location in the centre of the old town. Easy walking distance to all the sights. Stayed in a classic room which was quiet, clean and modern. Excellent buffet breakfast and staff were very helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zharne
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I have visited the Old City Boutique Hotel on 15th of September after a friend’s recommendation and stayed for 2 nights. I arrived at the hotel around 18:30 and the check in, was a nice surprise. The very polite young lady at the reception when saw my registration form told me that she used to work in a hotel close to my home town. We end up knowing same people. She gave me the key card after kindly explaining the hotel facilities and breakfast venue. She also offered assistance with my luggage. The lobby area is a combination of old brick walls and contemporary design. I liked it. The public areas were always clean and tidy. My room was located at the new block back of the main building. I took the elevator to the 4th floor where my room was. The first impression was that the room was much smaller than I expected. I had not very good view as my window was facing the small back yard, however the room was cozzy and I kind of liked it. The room didn’t remind me of a boutique hotel decoration but it had nice colours. There was a hidden TV in the cupboard with rather few channels and not very good reception. The central heating was on, and the room was warm. The bathroom was nice and clean. The breakfast buffet was more than satisfactory with good quality and variety. The second morning the restaurant was quite busy and there was a delay on the refilling of the buffet. However, the staff on the breakfast was very polite and attentive. When I asked the waitress for 2 fried eggs as there was none left at the buffet, she told me that will bring it on the table. And so it happened, the fried eggs arrived with a small delay at the table. The hotel location is the best in Riga. Close to the National Opera, Restaurants, Clubs, Parks and the Freedom Monument, it gives you plenty of choices and everything is walking distance. The staff of the hotel was always attentive and prompt to help. When I asked for a wine opener and two glasses to the room, those arrived quickly and with a smile. Also when I requested to check out at 13:00 the young man at the reception told me that there was no problem to do so. Overall, the hotel is nice and clean, the location is the best, the staff is very friendly and helpful. With such quality service and value for money, I would definitely visit again and recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank silko79
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I would definitely recommend this hotel. The location is great, just in the middle of the Old city, close to everything, with a big shopping mall and good supermarket just a stone's throw. The breakfast is opulent. Staff is very helpfull and hospitable with excellent English and Russian. The bar is nice though I didn't eat there, just had a drink.
There is wifi in rooms and public computer in case u need it. Rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. There are hairdryer and iron in the rooms. Its definitely value for money and undoubtedly I would chose this hotel for my next stay in Riga.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Arabella80
Belgium
Reviewed 14 September 2010

We stayed in the old part (Viesturs), a couple of days before they would open the new part of the hotel. The location is just great - it is in a small, quiet alley, very central and close to the old city centre of Riga. The other nice parts of the city (the Jugendstil area, the shopping area etc) are also not far away, you can basically do everything by walk. We had a room on the ground floor, but didn't hear any noise from outside, nor from inside. The room itself was quite dark (dark colours and wood), but clean. Beds were completely fine as well. We were there during the winter, so we were really happy with the central heating in the room and bathroom. Breakfast was in a really charming small kitchen, the buffet was not that big, but you can order eggs, delicious pancakes and other dishes. I would go back again!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bes1
Turku, Finland
Reviewed 23 August 2010

The situation of this hotel is just perfect: it´s almost in the middle of Old Town, but as situated by a narrow street, it´s far away of all the noise and masses of tourists!

Old City Boutique Hotel is very clean, the room and the bed was very nice and the breakfast was very versatile. We asked them to give another mattress to the extra bed (our son is already 16 and the mattress of his bed was too thin) and just after three minutes there was a man from reception and a housekeeper with a bigger extra bed (with two mattresses)! Quite fast action, I say!

Just about 50 meters of the hotel there is a large shopping center (PS. husbands, take care, if your wife is with you: there is at least 20 shoe shops in there... ;) )

Because our flight left at 8 o´clock PM we asked, if it´s possible to have the room till 6 PM and it cost just 30 euros. Just great!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank PekkaTurku
Zürich
Reviewed 28 July 2010

What a great place! We stayed at the Old City Boutique Hotel for two nights and enjoyed every minute of our stay. Its location is superb, ideally located close to the Opera, the old town, all the sights, shops, restaurants and bars. It's great to leave this stylish and modern hotel and step on the cobbled roads of Riga - it's like walking through a time machine.

The hotel combines old and new, it is built between two old houses (you can still see the brick walls of the neighbouring buildings) but the hotel is very trendy and very modern, with lots of glass and dark marble. The rooms either face the street or the courtyard. Ours faced the courtyard, there's a bar down there and despite our fears it was not loud at all. The courtyard reaches up pretty high and you really gotta lean far out of the window to see the sky, but it was enough to get a feeling for the weather and the temperature.

The room was nice and spacious, modern architecture with a large cupboard, a modern TV set and a safe. The bathroom was rather small, but that's normal for city hotels and it was big enough. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. The cleaning staff had the annoying habit of turning down the air conditioning to 16 degrees.

Breakfast is included in the price and it's very tasty with a wide variety of bread, warm dishes, jams and cheeses.

We can definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple