The major pros of the hotel:
- Location. In the historical centre of Riga, but not too far away so that you get lost in the maze of the street, or have to drag your suitcases around on the cobbled street. It is also within a 5 second walk from the "Galerija Centrs" shopping centre, which has everything you need - clothes shops, food shops, bank, souveniers - you name it. The hotel does not offer much of a view out of the windows - you'll either face the inner yard, or the small Teatra street, but I personally use hotels for sleep, so I didn't care about the view anyway. In addition, all hotels with a view charge twice the price I paid for my room.
- Contemporary design. I sincerely hate the "classic" hotels, which bore me to death and have the "HOTEL" written all over them. This place was quite welcoming and not at all hotel-y. The rooms might be a bit too dark, but are nevertheless stylish, with sleek lines, well-coordinated color palette and design elements.
- Spotless upkeep and attentive staff. Not a spot of dust was in my room all the time.
- Huge bathtub.
- Food options. So far I can just confirm all the positive things previous reviewers mentioned. In addition to breakfast, hotel offers nice business-lunch options, which are VERY cheap for a restaurant in the middle of Old City - trust me, I have lived and worked in the center of Riga for 1.5 years in the past. I have even recommended this place to some of my ex-colleagues.
- No tea/coffee making facilities. So far, this has been the greatest disappointment. Although I'm not that huge a fan of hotel teas, but the simple lack of option to have a cup of tea whenever I want drove me almost insane.
- Lighting. There are bedside lams, floor lamp, work table lamp and the ceiling lamp, but still, they all provide a rather dim and unwelcoming light (you know, the cold energy-saver type). The bathroom definitely deserves a better lighting options, otherwise it looks like a morgue or a horror movie set, and when looking in the mirror, you look tired and like a zombie. I would also love to have a more suitable reading light.
- Noises. Overall, the hotel was rather quiet, but I kept hearing random noises which sounded like water running through the pipes somewhere, mixed with some sort of humming, the aircon was noisy, the elevator signal was very annoying, especially when early morning breakfast exodus has begun. I guess this problem can be solved if you either beat everyone to the breakfast line, or move into room farther from the elevator.
- Single duvets. Again, not a huge deal, but I have spent all my conscious life sleeping under double duvets and sleeping under a single one was a bit odd for me, but I managed to re-adjust to it. Other than that, bedding was superb.
All in all, nothing life-threatening and "Old City" is a great hotel in great location and if I need to come to Riga once again, I will most probably use this hotel as well (and will bring my kettle with me :D ).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Old City Boutique Hotel is situated in the heart of the Riga Old city and it’s easy to feel the spirit of Riga city when you are close to cultural mainstays such as Latvian National Opera, museums, sightseeing. Restaurants and parks are with walking distance and shopping centre nearby. International Airport RIX just 15 km away. Old City Boutique Hotel can be called as a museum of the photography. In the hotel presents the collection of old photos of Riga by which you can view the history of the city until present times. There are 65 rooms in a hotel which are situated in two connected buildings. In one part hotel offers 11 rooms with spirit of history, romantic and quite atmosphere and in the other part - 54 rooms which are well furnished and designed according to modern style. Each 54 room has a bathroom, phone, TV, cable internet, minibar, and safe-box, iron with ironing board and rooms equipped by the system of the central air-conditioning and adjustable heating and floor heating. Hotel facilities and services meet the needs of today’s traveler. Warm atmosphere, harmony of interior, comfortable rooms, cozy Lobby bar – everything disposes for high-grade rest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Old City Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viesturs Hotel Riga