“nice, but...”

Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Berlin, Germany
“nice, but...”
Reviewed 25 March 2009

In hotel Albert in general grey bed-clothes. Come with the bed-clothes

• Stayed March 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
south wales
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Stayed for 3 nights in November 2008. Spotlessly clean and fresh.Excellent shower/wet room. Rooms are not hugh but fine for a few nights.Have nothing but praise for the staff.Great range of food for breakfast, porridge fab.Good value for money and easy walking to centre. Deffinately stay at the Albert on next visit to Riga.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank minseee
kent uk
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Just back from Riga and stayed at Albert Hotel for 3 nights. The service was excellent and the restaurant food was amazing. The only drawback, which I've seen on other reveiws is that the English breakfast wasn't very hot. However, as the breakfast buffet selection was extensive, there were plenty of other choices. Anyway, I can have an English breakfast at home so I tried everything else and it was delicious.
The staff were very helpful when it came to directions and provided extra maps and the restaurant staff were also pleasant and welcoming.
Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank OnamissionKentUk
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 4 February 2009

I am surprised at the overall enthusiasm for this hotel. I accept it was a good, but rather impersonal large 3 star hotel, in a quiet part of the city, close to the old town. The 11th floor bar was cool ... but not that practical (basic food, average beer), and i sensed most people in the bar were not hotel guests.
But everything else was average, the room was OK (a superior room - well over priced), the internet coverage, although free, was so patchy I gave up and used my mobile network instead.
It is good value but lacks facilities - I would stay again - but with little enthusiasm. I will look for somewhere that offers a little more personality next time.

I moved to the Islande hotel, better facilities (spa, gym, bowling, restaurants, working internet coverage) althouh it meant moving across the river so a short taxi ride to the old town.

• Liked — 11th floor bar
  • Disliked — ou dont feel special
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank pashathenomad
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 19 January 2009

This was my third time in 3 years staying at Albert Hotel. I have always had a fine experience here, otherwise I would not return. I like the quirky Einstein concept, and give a kudos to the designers who took a risk to distinguish this place from the typical Soviet or European style so common in the FSU. The staff has always been well trained and professional. I must add that I have stayed in hotels and such all over the world but predominately in the third world, so my expectations are not as rediculious as some of the posh tourists may be.
I am a vegetarian and was pleased to find about 20 percent of the menu entrees and appetizers were healthful.
I have used the wi-fi on the past 2 visits in 2007 and this one and it functioned fine.
I don't like the lack of shower curtain but this took some getting used to.

The stupidest thing I could find in the whole place is the tiny tiny tiny waste basket in the bathroom, which is like a toy: when you push down on the foot lever, the whole things upends! C'mon guys!

I never had any problem with thugs in the street, but then again I am not coming for a "stag" experience like many fools from England. If I were a Latvian, I too would be pissed off by these fools, who get stupid drunk and insult the women and throw up in the streets. Brits should have more honor and learn that their behavior reflects on their culture.

To anyone who ventures out to the clubs for the night life, BEWARE!!! there are women who prey on visitors, nuzzle up to them and convince them to go to one of the dozen or so THIEF BARS, where the woman will order a few drinks. When the bill (check) comes, you are in for the surprise of your life! Many of the drinks cost $80 or more! I know because this happened to me, at THE FOXY LOUNGE (the only club open in the area that Sunday of my arrival) and the total bill for 2 women and myself nearly gave me a heart attack: $750. I complained to the manager and said it must be some mistake, but she said in her thick Russian accent, "You will pay!". The bouncer hovered nearby so I could not escape. My two new female "friends" did not offer to help, so perhaps they were part of the con, dunno. I insisted she call the police, who came and demanded I pay. By 3 am I paid under duress, with my Bank of America credit card, and they did not give me any reciept. The next day I went to the US embassy and filed a formal complaint. The embassy staff rolled their eyes when they heard of the name of the club, and said they had numerous complaints of the same shake-down and even worse reports.

I submitted a complete report to Bank of America credit dispute section and--believe it or not--after 3 months I was refunded about 90% of my loss! Hard lesson learned, but hopefully you will spread the word. Glorious City of Riga, and enchanted country of Latvia, clean up your act and you will be rewarded by increased tourism by good visitors.

• Liked — Square deal, nice treatment, fine food, good breakfast buffet, reasonable prices.
  • Disliked — No pool, would like more vegetarian entrees on the menus.
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank JohnnyUS
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2008

Three of us spent several days at this hotel. In general,we agreed with other reviewers. We had booked cultuzz vouchers obtained on ebay which gave us the usual hassle of trying to match up the vouchers to what we actually got. The usual recommendations apply - print everything off because you will have to argue and stand your ground to get what you have paid for. The vouchers for evening meals and cocktails were very useful, and saved us a fortune.
Breakfast was what most other reviewers say - not up to British standards, but better than many continental breakfasts (please don't think I am xenophobic - I lived abroad for years and have no axe to grind). Coffee was excellent. Cream in everything that moves, which spoilt the porridge for me, but full marks for even supplying porridge and fried cream cheese and other Latvian dishes.
Service: mainly good, but just a few staff need training in how to be friendly to foreigners. That little piece of essential tourism advice appears to have been missed by most Latvian speakers we met. Most of the Russian speakers were friendly, and the best times we had were in Russian speaking bars and cafes. I went to Latvia with no prejudices whatsoever, thinking perhaps that the hostility mentioned by others was because they were in a stag party or were sex tourists or something, but we came away thinking what a miserable, sour-faced lot the Latvians are. And we are not the stag or hen party type - just culture loving middle-class middle-aged tourists.
On the whole the Albert Hotel has got its staff to recognise how to be nice to people, but I wouldn't stand for any of the staff being rude to guests if I had shares in the place or I were the manager. To be fair, an exception rather than the rule, but enough examples of it to make a comment. However, in view of the general surliness of the Latvian speaking population towards us and other foreigners (and probably to each other as well), perhaps you'll never train them out of it.
Other points worth mentioning are that lots of the rooms smell smoky - my friend had to change his room, and all the rooms at the back are noisy from 7 in the morning till 6 at night because of building works - see the jpgs.
Food was excellent in the evening, and the Chilean house wine was good value. The evening service was very good. The general ambience of the bars and restaurant areas is very pleasant, although I preferred the live music in the evening to the endless piped Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Johny Mathis etc. I had enough of them on the radio when I was a child, and I still can't stand having breakfast to that sort of music. I know that's a tiny quibble, but I am trying to include everything.
On the whole though, despite the small rooms, the noise, the building site at the back, the sometimes surly staff, the variablity of the breakfast, the fact that not all rooms are smoke free, and the lift that decided to hold us captive for an anxious five minutes before doing what we told it to do, I would recommend this hotel, especially if you can get it at the right price. The positives more than outweigh the negatives.

• Liked — Excellent cuisine in the evening
  • Disliked — Noisy building site at rear
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank CFC1899
Sweden
Reviewed 20 November 2008

Nice, modern and clean hotel. Me and my husband spent three nights here in october. Close to the old town, just a 10 minute walk. I don´t really recommend the food though; a bit boring and not very tasty. Overall we are very satisfied and if we return to Riga we will probably return to Albert hotel!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple