The Albert hotel is clean, central, well-priced, and a bit funky without the funkiness overwhelming you.
ONE CAUTION- if you have 2 people staying in a room, you should make sure that you are allocated one of the larger rooms on the floor.
The normal rooms come in 2 sizes on each floor- the smaller ones are about 1m smaller, and are located next to the service ducting running between floors. My advice is to go to the room after you check in, and then make sure you are in a larger room, by checking the floor plan on the back of the door (under the fire instructions),
If you are put into a small room, request a different larger room on the same floor, or even a different floor. The staff do not know or understand that there are larger and smaller rooms on the same floor, though it is obvious looking at the floor plan. When we first asked, the staff assumed we were looking for an upgrade to a suite, and told us a room change was not possible, so insist that there are different sized rooms in the same class of accomodation, and show them their floor plan. Once you are in a room, you can check out the "bad" room numbers, and avoid them.
The two of us with our suitcases were originally put into a small room, and there wasn't enough room to put the (closed) suitcases ANYWHERE in the room without falling over them and blocking any movement around the room. In the larger room, we had no problems.
Wireless internet access is provided at no charge, and it is fast.
I booked a special long-stay rate direct with the hotel.
Breakfast is fine, apart from the weird choice of fruit, chopped into mammoth chunks- in-season latvian fruits and berries were nowhere to be seen, instead we got oranges, grapes etc. You also have a good choice of hot breakfast and cold buffet including smoked salmon. Try the "sweet-sour rye bread", a latvian specialty, and nothing like chinese sweet & sour (though the best sweet/sour rye is Laachu (Lacu) brand, available across the road).
Other weird things were:
- no shower curtain, leading to a flood when you shower- the Einstein saying "things should be as simple as possible but no simpler" is up on the wall, but the shower has been oversimplified
- the bathroom floow was heated in the middle of summer, fighting the airconditioning system
- no tissues in the bathroom (no big deal, but do bring some of your own, or buy them)
The balcony on the top floor is a great place to go if the weather is good, as it is the only place in Riga to be high up over the city in the open air. In hot weather, do this after sunset as the balcony gets hot from heat reflected from the building and there is no roof. Try Balsams and blackcurrant juice (ask for it cold in the summer) "balsaams ar upenju sulu".
A block east there is a small bakery called "Sala" (up the stairs), and a block west is Paparazzi italian restaurant. I also recommend "A. Suns" tex-mex restaurant. on the other side of town on Elizabetes Iela.
Opposite the hotel there are a couple of shops, one is open late- you can buy water, beer, bread, ice-cream etc there.
Check out the fantastic "jungenstile" buildings a block away from the Albert Hotel, for weird art nouveau and "metropolis" style building decorations (dragons, gods, robots, owls, monsters etc).
All in all, a great stay (once we got into a , highly recommended!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Albert Hotel totally renovated in 2006 and situated in a quiet center of Riga in the exclusive zone of Art Nouveau architecture. Albert Hotel is located in the heart of Riga's Commercial center within easy walking distance to nearby embassies, headquarters of major banks, companies, state ministries, major exhibition centers, sport halls as well as old town. Albert Hotel has 246 modern and cozy rooms divided into three categories - Standard, Superior and Executive. Each room is equipped with air conditioning, television with cable channels, telephone, free high speed WI-FI Internet, hairdryer, radio and a minibar. To make our guests feel comfortable we kindly offer following additional services -lobby bar, laundry and wake-up services, safe-deposit at the reception desk and much more. On the 11th floor of Albert Hotel you will find a lounge bar with a terrace. There is an impressive view of Riga city center - neighboring examples of Art Nouveau and spacious parks. StarLounge bar of Albert Hotel will be the right meeting place before leaving to enjoy the night - life of Riga. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Albert Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albert Hotel Riga
- Hotel Albert Riga