“Good value”

Ranked #40 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good value”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Very good location right in the centre of the old town. Good bakery across the road that sells gigantic pretzels. Walking distance to a large number of sights and some good bars too. Room was fairly basic but clean with very good shower. Staff were friendly and very helpful and spoke excellent English. The only slightly strange thing was 2 single duvets on a double bed. Other than that no complaints.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MNTravels12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Great location in the middle of Old Town in Riga, local restaurant and bakery on the opposite side of the street, little cafe next door and walking distance to all the places in the Old Town you might want to see. Rooms were clean and the place was good to get rest and sleep. The bathroom was a bit small, but clean as well. The breakfast was disappointing, but in general this hotel is recommended for travelers seeking a nice place to stay in the heart of Riga.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Henlow
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This hotel was booked for a short weekend break to celebrate the future marriage of a friend ( stag weekend). There were 11 of us when we arrived on the Friday afternoon a bit early for check in. Some of the rooms were ready and they were happy for us to unpack straight away. The for the chaps whoose rooms were not ready the bags were safely locked away till they were cleaned.The service they gave at the start went over the weekend and they could not have been more helpful. The rooms are fine and you get what you pay for. They are certainly clean and tidy. The location is great. It is in a quiet part of the Old Town minutes walk from wherever you want to be. Breakfast was bit of a muddle but then find most small continental hotels don'tt cope to well with breakfast. For the price I could not ask for anything more.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My ex-husband and I stayed at Kolonna hotel last weekend. We stayed for one night. We got very nice room with two single beds as requested and with amazing view to the Kathedra. The hotel is right in the heart of Riga's Old town. The room and bathroom was very clean, no dust or carpets, but we both felt alergy. Maybe it is because of not natural bedding. It was not very strong, but quite dangerous for sensitive people I think. I had my medicines with me, so everything was ok. I would reccomend this hotel to my friends for sure and would stay there again myself. Personal is very helpful and well-manered. Breakfast was good enough too. Thank you for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Nice, France
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The room was too simple and the view on on The close roof with other building's windows in front.
The corridor is dirty and not pleasant design.
In the room I've found some steakers from cosmetics that were left by the précuits visitors and that stayed attached to the room's carpet, bathroom's elements etc.
The water in the bathroom is stinking, the lavabo is not clean enough and a stinky smell comes from the pipes.
No desire to take a shower in such place.
Tv is working badly, sound regulation was bugging all the time!
The room decoration in general is very poor.
The buffet for te breakfast is pretty ordinary, the place is nice as the old style one, but could be better decorated to create the "ambiance"...
The situation is good - center of Riga.
The personal is gentle and nice, but unfortunately when coming to the stairs and to the room - this good points are forgotten...

• Stayed March 2013
Linda_Shtale, Manager at Rixwell Domus Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear Maria M.,

thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay with us!

I am pleased to hear that you found our personal gentle and nice.

I am shocked to read that your room was not properly cleaned. I would like to inform you that I will investigate and analyze this case, because according to our standards a cleanliness of rooms and public places is a priority. TV sound will be checked by Specialist.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed our very central location- hotel is located directly in the middle of Old city.

My team and I do hope that you will return to us again in the near future and get the chance to exceed your expectations.

Best Regards,
Linda Stale
Hotel Manager
Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Kolonna in February. A great hotel in the centre of the Old Town. Our room was ready when we arrived early, and reception staff were excellent and very helpful during our stay. They all spoke excellent English. The room was large with twin beds as requested, 2 large windows at the front, well heated and all the fittings looked new and clean. The bathroom was clean and warm and well equipped.

Breakfast was the usual continental style with lots of hot and cold choices and lots of tea or coffee. All dishes were renewed regularly and the tables kept very clean.

Next door to the hotel is a lovely cafe, we had cake and hot mulled wine there, and across from the hotel was a cake shop to die for!!

We took two trips by train, one to Jurmula and one to Sigulda. The train fares were very, very cheap. Under £3 return for one trip of 1 hour 10 minutes. I can recommend both trips.

All in all, this was an excellent value for money hotel, and I would recommend it to friends and family.

I cannot find anything bad to say about the hotel or staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anne H
Linda_Shtale, Manager at Rixwell Domus Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Anne H.,

thank you very much for your feedback!

My team and I were pleased to offer early check in free of charge when you arrived to hotel. We know how important is every minute you spend on your vacation.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central location as well as services provided during your stay in KOLONNA Hotel Riga. We are doing our best to ensure very comfortable and pleasant stay for our guests!

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback and recommending our hotel to other travellers!

Looking forward to welcome you in our hotel in the near future again!

Best Regards,

Linda Stale
Hotel Manager
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel Kolonna. The location of the hotel is perfect, right in the centre and on the same street as some great cafes. Location wise you could not get better.

The hotel staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast despite previous reviews was great. It has toast, cereal, meats, cheeses, sausages, scrambles, boiled eggs, sausages and the list could go on.

My only complaints were that the hairdryer was broken and that the tv reception was poor. However for the price of the hotel (we booked via Expedia) i don't think you could get better.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple