“Really nice quality for a resonable price!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Islande Hotel

Islande Hotel
Ranked #37 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Cracow, PL
“Really nice quality for a resonable price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Helpfull stuff, very big, modern furnished and comfortable room with a nice view (7th floor), only with a bit to small bathroom. Good location, just a 10-15 minutes to the old town. The breakfast was ok. The pity was, that the terrace was closed most of the time and we couldn't see the Tall Ships from there...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

PROS:
- Hotel is located in a very peaceful area, on the island,
- close (50 m) to the mall, opened till 10pm., and to the bus stop (100 m),
- there is a clean city beach 50 m from the hotel,
- one can be transferred to and from the airport with the shuttle bus (5€ or 3LVL per person),
- very comfortable (spacious, tidy, clean an bright) rooms,
- tasty, full breakfast,
- pool, spa and sauna free of charge,
- there's a printer avalaible free of charge,

CONS:
- spiders! big disgusting creatures,
- internet (nor wifi, nor cable) didn't work most of time,
- "business centre" is a joke - one old, dying pc,

- staff is a nightmare - unfriendly and unhelpful, few times I tried to ask something - they didn't even bother to look.

Aaand here's the story. We booked this hotel mainly because of the advertise: terrace with the best view on the Tall Ship Races (hotel is close to the harbor). Since I work for the media, I was going to take some photos with my fancy camera and pretty big objective. But when we try to use the terrace during the main event (Ships Parade), it was closed! Dialogue with the staff:
- we would like to use the terrace.
- it is closed.
- so? open it!
- no, it is closed.
- you have this information on yout website? we only booked the hotel... (and so on, usual "do it" stuff).
- but it is closed. you can talk with the manager.
- ok, call him.
- he's out.
- use your phone?
- no, he has his day off, you can talk to him tomorrow.

Ok, the Parade was on, and istead of taking groundbreaking photos of the biggest yachts and ships on the Baltic Sea, I was standing at the reception, continuing this comedy conversation. BUT I wasn't going to give it up.

Eventually guy from the security appeared and we had to repeat everything. Then he said with this "just like from Bond movies" russian accent: so, the information is obviously wrong, because the terrace is not open before afternoon. Then! the mirae happened - he just take the key out of his pocket and opened the bloody terrace. Wow, that must have been REAL problem for the staff.

• Stayed July 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

As I've only positive comments, I'm a little surprised at some of the other reports on this hotel - perhaps I was just lucky. Overall, we were very pleased: the reception staff were very helpful (when our telly didn't work, we were moved to a bigger and better room), the hotel was clean, quiet and handily situated (a short walk across a bridge to the old part of town), and the breakfast was sumptuous - by far the best of the ten hotels in this particular trip. Maybe you have to be as fortunate as we were, but I'd recommend the hotel unreservedly.

Room Tip: It always helps if you're nice to the people at reception.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chandos7
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our stay at the Islande Hotel was marred by the people in the room next door who went out for the day and left their dog locked in the bathroom. It was howling and yelping for several hours, and when we reported this to the reception they said that animals were allowed in the hotel and that this was normal. "Probably the dog is bored" the front desk staff told me. When I suggested that maybe we should go in and check whether the animal was in pain, they said that what would happen if the dog bit a staff member? I asked whether they should call the animal protection society, and they sniggered. In short the hotel staff did nothing, and virtually laughed in my face. They said that they could not talk to the owners of the dog and that if we had a problem we should move all our stuff out of our two rooms but they could not guarantee connecting rooms.

The rooms were ok (clean and functional), there is a well equipped and spacious gym, and the facilities are good, with a spa and an outdoor rooftop restaurant, but the attitude of the staff and the management sucks. There are wheelchair friendly rooms as well and extra beds for kids are available. The wifi is patchy, as other reviewers have pointed out. If we hadn't had the dog problem I would have rated the property more highly, but when things go wrong that is the best test of a hotel, and in this case the Islande failed.

Room Tip: Make sure there are no animals staying in the room next door to you
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank George H
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

This "4-star" hotel is more or less a joke: free internet = didn't work, 24 h guarded parking lot = small fence of height appr. 40 cm, reception girls eating chewing gum and blowing bubbles while talking to clients, terrace on roof was not even once open during our 5 day visit. Every morning something was missing on a breakfast: coffee, knifes etc. Location is on a "wrong side of the river", so you need to use taxi to get on the other side of city and back to hotel.
I sincerely recommend to avoid this hotel. There are really beautiful and nice hotels in Riga (e.g. Neiburgs), which unfortunately were fully booked during our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Happyhappygogo
Chonqging China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the Islande and loved this place. The staff at the front desk were just outstanding, guys and gals both. The gals certainly are great eye candy; beautiful girls and always helpful. I arrived by bicycle and they stored my bicycle with no problems inside their luggage storage. My room was excellent; I'd booked it online with booking.com and no problem at check-in. The room was a very nice size (standard single room) with queen bed, mini-bar (that did not keep anything cold, only for storage), WiFi very good in room and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was nicely appointed with extra towels, hand and bath towels. The room also had an inroom safe and AC that kept the temperature of the room a nice temperature with no AC noise.

The hotel is located just across the river, an easy 10 minute walk to Riga Old Town. There was also the Olympia Mall just adjacent to the hotel that had a nice supermarket and shops. I highly recommend this place. Great value for the price.

Oh, and the breaksfast buffet was outstanding. Additionally, the bartenders at the bar were helpful in recommending different beers for me to try as well as wines. Thanks guys!!

Room Tip: Highly recommend!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ultrarunner
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We love restaurant on top floor, it is little bit expensive but food was amazing and staff very friendly. Room was ok but I was disappointed about shower because we have little girl so it wasn't easy to wash her. When I booked the hotel, I mention that I need bed for my daughter but we didn't get so she slept in my bed. Breakfast was nice, food was good but again, when we needed highchair there wasn't any so I can't say this hotel is family (baby) friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family