I concur with previous reviewers: there is amateur staff at work here, and the internet access sucks.
The reason why I went here: I was dumped here by AirBaltic shortly after midnight because of a missed connection. My complaints:
- although AirBaltic had promised me free internet access, this was not available.
- Although I had ordered a wake-up call for 5am, there was no such thing. I actually had to fight off a cleaning lady who tried to remove the phone from my room (and without the phone, a wake-up call obviously would be hard to pull off). Even though I kept the phone, there was still no call. I had seen the receptionist write down the desired time, so this was not a miscommunication but some other sort of incompetence.
- Luckily, the cleaning lady who had been given the task of removing my phone at least enabled me to enter my room, which was not possible with the key card I had received at the reception.
- The bathroom had a faint rotten moldy smell, probably because the wooden door jamb was eternally wet. The reason for this was that there was no real shower stall. One showers on the floor, thus it's impossible to shower without flooding the entire bathroom.
I have stayed at much nicer hotels in Riga which are probably cheaper at the same time, for instance, the Dodo (nice staff, decent free internet access, location a bit further from the center but near a tram stop). So, if you have a choice, go elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Islande Hotel was opened on March 2006.The hotel is located in Kipsala, in the center of Riga - a 10 minutes walk from the Old Town. For guests’ comfort we offer 205 well equipped rooms for non smokers and smokers, 29 non- allergic rooms and 7 rooms for guests with special needs. All rooms arranged in a modern reserved Scandinavian style. 5 conference rooms, business centre, spa, gym, souvenir shop, closed parking lot. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Islande Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Islande Hotel Riga