“Nice hotel, good location and great value!”
Review of Hotel Monte Kristo

Hotel Monte Kristo
Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, good location and great value!”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

A group of 6 of us stayed at the Hotel Monte Kristo in 2 x triple rooms. The rooms were warm and comfortable - perfect for a weekend away. The breakfast was very good - plenty of options including cheese, ham, pancakes, eggs, yoghurts, bread, fruit juice etc. The hotel had a nice atmosphere - obviously not a chain hotel so felt quite unique with local character. The staff were helpful, also they have a happy hour with cocktails at 2-4-1 between 5pm and 7pm! The price was extremely good too - worked out at 70 euros for each of us for 3 nights including breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Monte Kristo during my short stay in Riga back in September 2013. I arrived in Riga by coach from Tallinn, Estonia and found the hotel to be a short distance from the main coach station.

After arriving at the hotel, the first issue I noticed was the steps down to the main reception. Now I didn't have too much of a problem carrying my suitcase down the steps but I can imagine elderly or the infirm having problems. For those who think they may have an issue with these steps, I would strongly recommend that you go round to the other side of the building and go in through the entrance on the restaurant terrace as there are few if any steps.

Other than the steps my first impression of the hotel was positive, the place looked clean and I liked the décor in the reception. The lady on reception was friendly and it didn't take long until I was in my hotel room.

The room I had was on the second floor and had a view of the side street but I didn't really care that much. The room I had was a reasonable size though there was not a lot of room down the sides of the bed. The bed itself was quite comfortable though the pillows not so much so. Now I am very fussy about pillows so I will forgive the hotel for what was probably a fairly ordinary hotel pillow. The room I had did not seem to have air conditioning but there was a fan provided in one of the cupboards which was more than sufficient though the fan blades needed cleaning.

The bathroom met my expectations in most regards; it was well decorated and in good condition, though the bath could have perhaps done with another clean before the room key was handed to the guest.

The breakfast room at the hotel was a little cramped but had a nice atmosphere. The selection of food was a little limited when compared to some of the other hotels of similar star rating that I have visited. The restaurant food was an improvement on the breakfast offering and it was reasonably priced, though I mostly eat out at other restaurants during my stay.

During my stay I was bitten by something, possibly a mosquito or something similar and I had an allergic reaction to it which was more annoying than serious but the lady on reception gave me a map and directions to a nearby pharmacy where I was able to get some antihistamine tablets which helped a lot.

One of the main benefit of the hotel is that it has very good access to transport links with both the coach and train stations only a short walk away and with tams going up and down the road nearby its easy to get to where you want. The hotel is also only a short walk away from the old town sights such as the churches, the town square and many other sights.

Checkout at the hotel was handled quickly and efficiently and after checking my minibar usage and paying for what I had used, I was on my way back home.

Overall, despite some of the minor issues stated above, I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Monte Kristo and I found it to be good value for money and very conveniently located. I would recommend this hotel to others travelling to Riga and should I return to the city, I will consider staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Zebramanii
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

+ Good location
+ Breakfast OK

- We got a room right next to reception and a hallway (room number 11). There were traffic all the time on the hallway and soundproofing was poor. We could hear all noise (telephone ringing, people talking, closing the doors etc.). Sleeping without ear pluggs would have been impossible.
- The indoor air was stale and in our room there were no air condition or window. After asking we got a key to a door which opened straight to the restaurant terrace. Luckily it was fall already and no people sitting on the terrace. Anyway, it was the only way to get fresh air to the room.
- Reception staff was not very willing to service.
- Because the poor room (and no chance to change it) I asked some compensation. Reception staff took my e-mail address and promised that hotel manager will contact me later - this happened one month ago and I'm still waiting...

Room Tip: Rooms right next to reception and hallway are terrible - poor soundproofing and no air condition
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Milla K
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Fabulous location. Good amenities. Comfortable and well equipped room. Pleasant staff. Great for the old Town. Would recommend. 200 characters for a brief review is not helpful. Will be uninstalling the TripAdvisor app.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
cavan
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were a party of 6 girls who stayed for 2 nights. We had 2 triple rooms which were OK. The reception staff were not at all helpful and very distrustful. My card didn't work (even though I'd already used it at an ATM) but we managed to pay with a different card. We got the impression that they didn't trust us. On our 2nd night we ordered a bottle of wine from the bar & assumed it would be added to our bill on checkout.Not the case - reception rang our room & asked that we pay for the wine that night. Maybe we're too trusting in Ireland!
Breakfast was fine and the rooms were adequate and not noisy. The hotel is well positioned, we met a lovely tour guide named Alexander who took us on a walking tour. So we have some good memories of Riga!

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor but there are steps down to reception and the breakfast room and bar.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank noel m
Genova, Liguria, Italy
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Everything perfect. Rich buffet for breakfast, located in the old city center, 50 meters from the bus (number 22) stop which goes to airport. Friendly staff, hotel not noisy at all. Very good price. We took suite which has a private sauna and big jacuzzi. Simply fantastic!

Room Tip: Ask for the suite!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank walter V
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I only stayed here for one night while on a trip that took in Tallinn, Helsinki and then Riga (around sept 2011). As i only stayed one night i can only give a general impression. The one thing I remember liking was the character of the hotel. The bar and restaurant are in hollowed out cavernous cellars which made it quite unique. The hotel was clean and boutique like with it's old school decor, far from being dated, this added character and set a nice atmosphere for the area you are in (near the old town). The room i was in had two floors, beds were upstairs, storage space and bathroom downstairs. I liked this as it felt like a home for the night rather than just another hotel room. Ideal for a stop off visit, i'd also recommend it for couples. Ideal location for seeing the major attractions also

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends